The Beach Boys Reunite For New Album And World Tour

The Beach Boys have announced plans to reform for their 50th anniversary.

The Beach Boys Reunite For New Album And World Tour
6
The Beach Boys have announced plans to reform for their 50th anniversary. Founding members Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, plus David Marks and Bruce Johnston, plan a new studio album and a 50-date international tour beginning in April. No touring dates have yet been confirmed, but the band will appear as headliners at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (April 27 to May 6, 2012). New commemorative releases are also planned for 2012, including a new Beach Boys hits collection and a career-spanning box set. Frontman Brian Wilson said of the reunion: "This anniversary is special to me because I miss the boys and it will be a thrill for me to make a new record and be on stage with them again." Mike Love added: "We got together at Capitol Records and re-recorded 'Do It Again'. Brian and I wrote that song which went to #1 in Great Britain, Australia and elsewhere some 44 years ago. Brian paid me a compliment saying, 'How can a guy sound that great so many years later?' Later on, while working out some harmonies on a new song Brian had written, I got a chance to return the compliment. "Music has been the unifying and harmonizing fact of life in our family since childhood. It has been a huge blessing that we have been able to share with the world. Wouldn't it be nice to do it again? Absolutely!" The Beach Boys formed in 1961 and frontman/main-writer Brian Wilson last performed with the band during the making of their 1996 album "Stars And Stripes Vol. 1". Wilson has toured as a solo artist since. Two former members, Brian's brothers Dennis and Carl Wilson, died in 1983 and 1998. By April next year, Mike Love will be 71. Brian Wilson is 69. Thanks for the report to Michael Leonard, Gibson.com.

34 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Zeppelin Addict
    fuzmeister wrote: Ahhh, let it rest in peace. I don't think they can sound anywhere as good as they did in their hayday!
    With this logic Zep and Sabbath shouldn't have reunited either and a million and one bands out there should hang it up. Who cares if they don't sound as good? We know how they sound, frozen in time on their albums. There is more to a concert than what you hear, if that wasn't the case sitting in my room listening to music would be the same experience.
    Pagan_Poetry wrote: I would hardly call this a reunion when 2 of the 3 Wilsons are dead.
    When did it become the Wilson Family Band? I'm aware of their importance to the band in the past but come on.. Brian, Mike and Al are all from the original lineup and David Marks may as well be considered part of it to because he's been there basically from the start. It's not like Bruce just got thrown into the mix recently either, as he's been there since the 80's and even a bit before that.. 4/6 ain't bad.. Get thankful for that! Also, **** age. I don't care how old you are, how much you've withered away, greatness deserves respect. If a 70 year old Brian Wilson wants to get up and perform, you don't question ANYTHING. You sit back and let one of the greatest minds music has seen do it's thing, because chances are he'll blow you away. Especially with how low everybody seems to be setting the bar..
    Jesus_Dean
    Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Mustaine patches up with Metallica...even the gawdamn Beach Boys are getting back together!! C'mon Axl! Get with the program!
    Pagan_Poetry
    Jesus_Dean wrote: Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Mustaine patches up with Metallica...even the gawdamn Beach Boys are getting back together!! C'mon Axl! Get with the program!
    You saying that to Axl will finally change his mind. He will now reunite with Guns N' Roses in 2024.
    jimmypagejunior
    Jesus_Dean wrote: Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Mustaine patches up with Metallica...even the gawdamn Beach Boys are getting back together!! C'mon Axl! Get with the program!
    He's just late... as usual...
    maiden=gods
    so a beach boys post with geberic Gn'R/AXL bitching comments god i hate the internet.
    fuzmeister
    Ahhh, let it rest in peace. I don't think they can sound anywhere as good as they did in their hayday!
    fuzmeister
    Zeppelin Addict wrote: fuzmeister wrote: Ahhh, let it rest in peace. I don't think they can sound anywhere as good as they did in their hayday! With this logic Zep and Sabbath shouldn't have reunited either and a million and one bands out there should hang it up. Who cares if they don't sound as good? We know how they sound, frozen in time on their albums. There is more to a concert than what you hear, if that wasn't the case sitting in my room listening to music would be the same experience
    Beach Boys are a band built on their incredibly rich and tight harmonies. If Tony Iommi couldn't play guitar anymore, I wouldn't want a Sabbath reunion either! There is nothing wrong with reuniting as long as you haven't become a parody of yourself.
    Chronologo
    They still dare to call themselves "boys".... just joking. We'll have to see how this works out, but I think it won't live up the expectations. I hope the album to be good, these guys always cheered me up when listening to them.
    Who66
    Bruce Johnston first joined the Beach Boys in 1965, so he's near-original as well. Simply put, the Wilsons were the creative, artistic ones. Carl and Dennis dead, and Brian only showing occasional flashes of his 1963-70 genius means the popular image of the beach boys is sadly the corny oldies band rather than the once-cutting edge pop group that competed with the Beatles. Meh, as much as I love Brian, and his voice is probably the best its been since the early 70's, its still not what it was, and that goes for all of their voices as well. If this is just a Mike Love-motivated cash-in, (like most of what they did after 1974 or so) it'll deservedly suck.
    Pagan_Poetry
    I would hardly call this a reunion when 2 of the 3 Wilsons are dead. Fuzmeister is right. They're a band that needed the voices they had during their prime, and all of them in the band. It's never going to happen and I know this is the closest it will ever be, but it should just be left alone I guess. Ah well. You have to give them kudos for their initiative.
    rockfreak611
    Jesus_Dean wrote: Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Mustaine patches up with Metallica...even the gawdamn Beach Boys are getting back together!! C'mon Axl! Get with the program!
    I'd rather have GNR reunite with a better singer. axl is annoying and has aweful mixed voice technique that sounds like a whiney buzzsaw.
    Root Beer
    jimmypagejunior wrote: Jesus_Dean wrote: Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Mustaine patches up with Metallica...even the gawdamn Beach Boys are getting back together!! C'mon Axl! Get with the program! He's just late... as usual...
    I approve of the amount of class in this statement.
    Pagan_Poetry
    ^Like I said, all of them were key members. 4/6 isn't bad, as you say, but it's still missing 2 key components. I guess the way I said it implied it was a Wilson family band, which I didn't mean, so sorry about that. I just meant that they were key elements. Everyone's a key element in the beach boys, which is why a reunion with missing members won't work imo.
    FlyingPirahna
    Are they really "Boys" at this point? Somehow, the idea of men that are so old they probably have a hard time walking, singing songs about hitting the beach and surfing and falling in love, seems weird.
    swave75
    rockfreak611 wrote: Jesus_Dean wrote: Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Mustaine patches up with Metallica...even the gawdamn Beach Boys are getting back together!! C'mon Axl! Get with the program! I'd rather have GNR reunite with a better singer. axl is annoying and has aweful mixed voice technique that sounds like a whiney buzzsaw.
    He always did sound like a whiny buzz saw.
    eetfuk58
    meh.....BUT! we finally got Smile so let them have their fun and let me just keep listening to the Smile Sessions. Everyone is happy that way.
    intothe
    I hope I get a chance to see them, the Smile Sessions released this year was amazing
    kill it
    great to hear but brian wilson doesn't sing very well anymore. in fact what i heard was pretty bad.
    pointblankpb10
    Zeppelin Addict wrote: fuzmeister wrote: Ahhh, let it rest in peace. I don't think they can sound anywhere as good as they did in their hayday! With this logic Zep and Sabbath shouldn't have reunited either and a million and one bands out there should hang it up. Who cares if they don't sound as good? We know how they sound, frozen in time on their albums. There is more to a concert than what you hear, if that wasn't the case sitting in my room listening to music would be the same experience. Pagan_Poetry wrote: I would hardly call this a reunion when 2 of the 3 Wilsons are dead. When did it become the Wilson Family Band? I'm aware of their importance to the band in the past but come on.. Brian, Mike and Al are all from the original lineup and David Marks may as well be considered part of it to because he's been there basically from the start. It's not like Bruce just got thrown into the mix recently either, as he's been there since the 80's and even a bit before that.. 4/6 ain't bad.. Get thankful for that! Also, **** age. I don't care how old you are, how much you've withered away, greatness deserves respect. If a 70 year old Brian Wilson wants to get up and perform, you don't question ANYTHING. You sit back and let one of the greatest minds music has seen do it's thing, because chances are he'll blow you away. Especially with how low everybody seems to be setting the bar..
    i agree with this, if a great like brian wilson wants to get back on stage and perform like the old days, who are we to tell him hes wrong and shouldnt do it?
    Zeppelin Addict
    fuzmeister wrote: Beach Boys are a band built on their incredibly rich and tight harmonies. If Tony Iommi couldn't play guitar anymore, I wouldn't want a Sabbath reunion either! There is nothing wrong with reuniting as long as you haven't become a parody of yourself.
    Who's to say they can't hit harmonies because they're old? You lose range with age, you don't just forget how to hit a pitch. Worst case scenario, they transpose songs down a few steps so that everybody can perform.. Zeppelin did it so Plant could hit all his notes.. If Iommi were incapable of playing guitar, there simply wouldn't be a reunion. Most people know when they can and can't do something, and I doubt he, much less the rest of Sabbath would have him up there if he was just going to suck.. The Beach Boys obviously consider themselves capable if they want to do a 50 date world tour, and who knows better than them!
    ctb
    fuzmeister wrote: Ahhh, let it rest in peace. I don't think they can sound anywhere as good as they did in their hayday!
    Aye. But still great news anyhow.