The Used Say No To Screamo

The Used frontman Bert McCracken talks about his band's next album, which is supposed to be out in March.

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

"We wanted to say [no] to the genre of music that's eating us all alive right now emotional screamo." So says The Used frontman Bert McCracken talking to MTV News about his band's next album, which is supposed to be out in March.

"We want to establish ourselves as something brighter than just this dimly lit singled-out genre that's going to fade away in a couple years. We're just rock kids. We can't help what we've been influenced by, but we can help create something new and keep music fun and not take ourselves so seriously with all sorts of concept ideas. So this is just a good rocking record with tons of licking guitar riffs and tons of good lyrics encompassing everything from what's going on in the world to these sh--ty remake movies that we're seeing."

McCracken, who's been living in Los Angeles, used his adopted hometown as inspiration for songs like "Pretty Handsome Awkward" and "Liar, Liar." The self-titled offering will be preceeded by a live cd/dvd package called Berth.

Credits for the info to Punkbands.com.

90 comments sorted by best / new / date

    prashant341
    Finally. A band speaks out against being labeled as emo, or for that matter any type of labeling.
    jimmcs2000
    not since metal bands in the 90's have so many bands try to distance themselves from a musical genre that is perceived as dead. This is one more example of a band trying to prolong their pop career by changing their point of reference. scramo/emo/homo bands are no longer the top dog so we'll change our style to keep up with what is "in". Whatever happened to musical integrity?
    65_Jaguar
    MuffinMan : Yeah, they'll obviously always be emotional screamo. Because, you know, nobody can change their sound. If you make one or two albums then you're stuck with that sound. Don't even bother trying to change.
    Two words brother; Fleetwood Mac. Became a pop band after two blues albums.
    darkfire_storm
    Dobbin87 wrote: The Used know nothing about emo. Seriously, I wish bands would stop crying about being labeled emo when they don't know the first thing about it.
    whats to know? "oh, i like to cut myself, i bleed a lot... i wish i was dead because the world sucks..." in my opinion, they should just go through with it if theyre so tired of life... as for the used, ive never really liked them... but maybe in his wanting to not be labeled emo, he might change up his subject matter a bit... that one song "im a fake" or something like that, the one with that shitty poem in it? yeah, thats no good. i hope they change things up and maybe be what he claims: a rock band...
    Kereth
    Lol... bands who go away from their roots = bad... I love The Used, and I love the style of their first two albums... if they steer away from it, I don't know if I'll like it or not... only time will tell, I guess. Bert's train of thoughts: "we're screamo... there's a lot of bad press about screamo... I bet we can become even more popular by saying 'nu more screamo!'"...
    Learn_to_fly
    EMT911 wrote: Screaming? Wrist-scars? Mascara? Is this the male youth of today? Damn, I feel sorry for the girls out there. These dudes need to eat some meat, go hunting, please! - do something to bring back a sense of masculinity.
    LMAO!! seconded!
    IlIk2plygUItAr
    Uhhh haha did he take a shot at MCR? and not take ourselves so seriously with all sorts of concept ideas." hahaha thats definately MCR. Used > MCR
    EMT911
    Screaming? Wrist-scars? Mascara? Is this the male youth of today? Damn, I feel sorry for the girls out there. These dudes need to eat some meat, go hunting, please! - do something to bring back a sense of masculinity.
    frottage
    i don't get it = \ i bought in love and in death when a long time ago, and it's probably the most emo album i've ever heard. have they changed?
    xmairusx
    well. the "emo" genre is not pretty characterized for having long riffs.. so i think. the used. like other bands in their moments is getting mature. the problem is. is this gonna be better or worst. i'll go for the first
    black_coffin
    no matter how much a band changes their style of music to shake off a label they still have the style in them from old albums and it will come back to them and they will go back to what style they were withouth noticing
    Tortiss
    MuffinMan wrote: Yeah, they'll obviously always be emotional screamo. Because, you know, nobody can change their sound. If you make one or two albums then you're stuck with that sound. Don't even bother trying to change.
    Unless they DO make a few good rock albums...Then that might un-label them a Emo-Screamo... BTW Doesnt "Screamo" stand for Sceaming Emo...So saying they are "Emotional Screamo" would be like saying "Emotional Screaming Emo"...since Emo is short for emotional...Eh who cares
    Xeus
    im telling you guys you've heard it here first.The new trend for the 21st century will be... NEW WAVE REVIVAL!
    FloydHammer666
    What ever Bert My-Crack-en says is of no consequence. Emo, Screamo, Mallcore, call it what you like, it is all a mass cheapening of a kind of music (punk) that once had great integrity and intelligence to it. They are the worst kind of pop band; one who thinks they aren't pop.
    Craigo
    lawl@Bert I love it when mainstream bands get their own genre wrong.
    DanJacobsII
    doomnight : Copying MCR much?
    yeah thats what i thought! new My Chem sucks like no other. and i hope bert screams. his scream got me into rock again, and somehow into heavier music. and his scream is sweet.
    jimmythehand
    *cough* Tom DeLonge *cough* i disagree - he always sounded crap and bert mccraken needs to wash his hair
    duke2446
    ^also screw genres when people ask what kind of music you play say "good"
    duke2446
    play music because you love don't change your sound just because you think thats the way to make money i like the used but i dunno this kind of sounds like selling out to me if they like screamo play it don't change for the money
    Macka1080
    the used were a great band back when they had their self titled album in 2002. "maybe memories" and "a box full of sharp objects" were absolutely mint. The screams actually add some energy to the song instead of having a bitch in "all that i've got". wrong choice guys
    bobthemonkey14
    punkman_123 wrote: Genre-labelling sucks. Also, I thought their debut was called "Maybe Memories"?
    I'm pretty sure that's the name of their live CD.
    Fender_punk
    assuming that the definiton of "screamo" is "a bunch of emo kids trying to be metal", then i dont think the used ever fell into that category
    this is not at all what emo is about. and also, i know many kids that are concidered emo. MANY. and not one of them cuts themselves or anyhting. they generally have a lot of fun. i think the goth kids are worse at that because i know several like that. hah
    Havenspear
    misirlou wrote: i'll bet it'll sound like ratt.
    Hahahahaha. Is Warren still alive? Maybe they replaced their guitarist with him!
    Kereth
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Agreed. You do realize... that you're telling emos off for whining, dano555666, yet you're whining about emos... hehe... quite ironic, in my opinion. Also... dano... it's destroying Male? WTF?! Are you one of these "oh no, I can't show emotion, for it is a weakness... I'll leave that to the girls!" people? Cuz if so, I just hafta' laugh at you. Just because somebody shows emotion in their writing of songs does not make them any less "Male". Anyways, keeping on topic: I still look forward to what The Used are capable of, I just don't want them to fall too far from their emo/punk roots.
    Learn_to_fly
    Ryo_Davis wrote: FloydHammer666 wrote: Hey DanJacobsll, "his scream is sweet"? Hows your boyfriend these days, queer [quote][b] And you, sir, posted that your sister was fine and you would do her. Just look in the Evanescence thread. Proofread much?
    haha PWND
    nodice182
    Those who don't appreciate life, do not deserve it.
    Stop watching Saw already. Slipknot lyrics discuss wrist-slitting also, correct? So after exposing the ridiculousness of your opinions, I decided to point out that labels are products of the corporate machine you seem to hold such contempt for, and seeing you're so alternative and all, you think you might be able to see beyond that sort of base closed-mindedness.
    perko
    Kereth wrote: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Seriously... all I heard was "blah blah blah emosuck!" So you put it in a more intelligible way. Whoop-de-do. Give yourself a medal. Doesn't make your argument anymore accurate so do me a favour and go **** yourself.
    yeah i have to a agree with Kereth even though im not into emo. slipknot is a thousand times worse than any emo band anyways.
    Kereth
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Seriously... all I heard was "blah blah blah emosuck!" So you put it in a more intelligible way. Whoop-de-do. Give yourself a medal. Doesn't make your argument anymore accurate so do me a favour and go **** yourself.
    gtferet_41
    prashant341 wrote: Finally. A band speaks out against being labeled as emo, or for that matter any type of labeling.
    yes but they are emo and everyone knows that so what difference does it make
    punkman_123
    And yes, I realize my username contains a genre. I made this account ages ago and there doesn't seem to be a way to change my name.
    Leonheart
    He's pretty underrated guitarist. Not great but he really comes up with some unique sounds sometimes. I haven't listened to the Used in awhile but I'm looking forward to this.
    Seymore190
    This is like nuns trying to rap. They might as well stick to what they're (I use this term very loosely) good at.
    perko
    DOESN'T ANYBODY SEE WHAT STATEMENTS LIKE THIS REALLY ARE???! pop bands like this who release these statements through MTV are just trying to prolong their popularity and change their target audience since emo isn't the 'in' thing anymore so they can keep selling their records. this isn't about music, this is just about sales.
    punk_mike_88
    Chris_32746 wrote: LewisMasonx wrote: "The self-titled offering will be preceeded by a live cd/dvd package called Berth." Am I the only one who read that first part in-depth? So their THIRD album is titled "The Used" too?! o_O Their debut was self-titled... No, actually it was self titled. Taste Of Ink was the first single, but not the album title. Anyways, I love The Used, can't wait to hear this now that they are takin a stand against screamo. their first album was not a self-titled album it was the taste of ink which was also their first single