6 Most Controversial Dave Mustaine Comments

The Megadeth frontman says some remarkable things. Whether you agree or not, here's his most controversial comments to date.

6 Most Controversial Dave Mustaine Comments
0
Dave Mustaine has made quite a name for himself. Not only does he front the hugely popular Megadeth, but he's also known for putting his foot in his mouth. Take this example:

"I'm fairly intelligent on stuff I'm talking about because if I don't know about a subject, I won't talk about it."

Oh, Dave. The things you say!

Let's dive right in and count down to the most controversial comments made by Dave Mustaine... so far.

Obama was not born in America

Is Dave a "birther"? It sure sounds like it, judging by this comment about Obama's place of birth:

"I have a lot of questions about [Obama], but certainly not where he was born," he said. "I know he was born somewhere else than America.

"How come he was invisible until he became whatever he was in Illinois? They have no record of him."

No record? What's this then? A fake birth certificate?

Rick Santorum is the best Republican candidate

Dave is entitled to support any Republican candidate he wants - but that didn't stop many rock fans from finding his support controversial.

It started when he discussed each of the current Republican candidates, and said of his favorite:

"I think Santorum has some presidential qualities, and I'm hoping that if it does come down to it, we'll see a Republican in the White House ... and that it's Rick Santorum."

The backlash was big enough that Dave distanced himself from the comments the following day:

"Contrary to how some people have interpreted my words, I have not endorsed any presidential candidate. What I did say was that I hope to see a Republican in the White House."

Yes, you did say that - then specified that it was Rick Santorum.

I don't support gay marriage

Dave likes to be strict about his Christian beliefs, so it's no surprise that he isn't into gay marriage.

When asked if he supported gay marriage, he replied: "Well, since I'm not gay, the answer to that would be no."

The interviewer rephrased the question, looking to see if he would at least support the concept of gay marriage. Dave didn't mince his words: "I'm Christian. The answer to that would be no."

Readers were divided over the issue, with some saying he had a right to follow his Christian beliefs and others suggesting he was wrong to suggest certain people should not be treated equally.

Either way, the debate raged on and Dave soon had to expand on his views:

"I'm a Christian, I'm a heterosexual man. It's like me worrying about cat owners. I don't like cats. I don't have anything against them, but I don't want one. I know that's a really crazy connection ... gay stuff is not part of my life."

There's just one thing. To use his cat analogy, he's essentially saying cat owners shouldn't be allowed to own cats. A little unreasonable, no?

To settle this, let's just say that cat owners should be treated exactly same as other people who like pets.

They take God out of school to dumb us down

Dave hints at some kind of conspiracy to take God out of school books and dumb down the nation's youth:

"It's pretty clear that they're taking prayer out of school. It's been happening for a very long time. The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. I collect books and I have some really, really old schoolbooks, and God is mentioned on every single page. They're taking God out of the schools to dumb us down."

If only these textbooks stopped pretending the world was more than 5000 years old! If only these books didn't explain the things we've been learning about the world over the last 50 years, where we have discovered more about our world than ever before! If only our kids would just stop learning to question everything! Gah!

Dave heals cancer with his magic hands

Miracles really can happen:

"I met a fan in Kentucky who had throat cancer. He was only supposed to live a few weeks. For some reason, I reached out, grabbed his throat, and started praying for the dude. He lives long enough to give me [the certificate] on our next tour."

Now then. You skeptics out there better hold your horses, and give Dave a fair chance.

Let's weigh it up. Either the doctors were wrong with their estimate of how long this poor cancer victim had to live, or Dave really held off the cancer using the power of prayer. What do you think?

Of course, if Dave really can hold off the damage caused by cancer, maybe he should quit music and spend more time in cancer wards. Just sayin'.

African women should put a plug in it

In a jaw-dropping display of ignorance, Dave Mustaine literally said African women should "put a plug in it" and stop having children if they can't feed them. He literally said it. Look, here's the proof:

"I watch some of these shows from over in Africa, and you've got starving women with six kids. Well, how about, you know, put a plug in it? It's like, you shouldn't be having children if you can't feed them."

He really said it. Those words fell from his mouth while he sat in a chair, relaxing.

Perhaps Dave's hypothetical vision of a hunger-free Africa is women saying to each other "Well, thank goodness for these plugs! Before this, I just couldn't stop having children. They just kept dropping out me, one after another. Pop! Pop! Pop! And it was only after they were born that I realised I couldn't feed them. Bless these plugs, and their contraceptive ability. And bless Dave Mustaine and his nobel prize worthy idea!"

Or perhaps not. But one thing is for sure: his comment was very controversial indeed.

--

It seems that many of his comments are based around his Christian faith. People are entitled to believe what they like, and we want to be clear that we're just highlighting why Dave's comments appear controversial, whether they're correct or not.

Dave has plenty of supporters, so the world isn't against him, but one great summary of the Mustaine opposition came from GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus:

"Every time he opens his mouth, he makes a f--king idiot out of himself," said Oderus. "You know what?! Keep your mouth f--king shut, Dave Mustaine. Play your f--king guitar, all right?! Maybe keep it to the lyrics of 'Peace Sells'. Anything else... We don't wanna f--king hear about how Obama was born in Africa and how Rick Santorum is your man; he hates f--king heavy metal. Shut the f--k up, Dave Mustaine. Shut the f--k up, you God, cock-sucking f-ggot."

Which is your favorite Dave Mustaine faux pas? Do you think he tends to be right or wrong? Let us know your views in the comments.

218 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    DickHardwood
    People complaint about idiotic Mustaine comments all-over UG. UG replies with a compilation of idiotic Mustaine comments. *facepalm*
    Jesus_Dean
    No matter if you agree with his views or not, one thing cannot be denied...he keeps himself in the headlines. No fading into obscurity for Dave.
    N-D
    My favourite: "'Anarchy In The U.K.' is a song I really don't like playing because it starts off and says 'I am an Antichrist'. Well, I'm not an antichrist. Not only am I not it, I don't want to be it. I won't even be one of them."
    Lapidus
    UG is sinking to new lows, first the "article" on C Love then this.
    Vinushka
    "I once punched a child in the face for playing a Metallica song within earshot, doesn't he know I wrote all their music?" - Dave Mustaine
    zomgguitarz1234
    This article is absolute troll fodder. Half the shit in bold is taken out of context to make him look like a dumbass, specifically the magic hand thing, his stance on gay marriage, and the final part with the africa whatever that was brought up like 12 times in these articles despite the fact no one gave a ****. (although the other half is just him being a dumbass) This isn't even news at all it's just to make more people rage about how Dave has some pretty poor opinions.
    harpcicle
    Half of these comments of his are just being blown out of proportion like the Gay Marriage and African women ones, though he should have worded them better. Shoulda've just said that anyone who can't support a child shouldn't have one in the first place, for a start
    Mulldarran
    How is this at all relevant OR news for that matter?? You keep writing about how annoying it is that Dave Mustaine always get himself on the frontpage, yet you continously feed the fire, for example by posting this ridiculously idiotic article. Get yourself together UG!! The quality of your articles have really taken a dip recently.
    G-money!$
    How is it controversial to state that he likes Rick Santorum, and that he doesn't support gay marriage? He has a political opinion, just like everyone else. He didn't go around bashing homosexuals either, he just said he's uncomfortable around them. That's like saying UG'ers are uncomfortable with his comments. Nothing wrong with either one, now is there?
    Lh0o
    I don't care about the article, I just enjoy the fact that UG doesn't take it seriously and does this just for their own fun, spectating the comments. Ahahah gotta love UG
    saint_berzerker
    Why is any of that "controversial". Are people not supposed to have outlooks or points of view? Or does everyone have to just "agree to get along"? You people are a bunch of p*ssies.
    OverlyEpux
    Daves got a right to say what he wants. It's the beauty of America. Weather or not we agree with him is also our choice. Another beauty of America.
    Camron62\m/
    Dave! I love you man! Yer my idol! Yer the reason i own a Jackson V! Yer my biggest influence! I still can't believe i saw you perform with my very eyes in San Jose! But SHUT YOUR MOUTH already!
    M3TalMan99
    I support him on on the African woman thing, and he wasn't saying he himself cured cancer, he was saying that he prayed and God cured him. Also everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Also I'd like to say, Oderus said that he makes himself look like an idiot every time he opens his mouth, but he kind of made himself look like an ignorant idiot considering all he could do was use **** and cocksucking as every other word.
    metalfan986
    Next up "10 most pointless UG articles" Seriously I admit that Dave Mustaine has been a bit of an idiot lately but there's no reason for this to exist other than to incite pointless hate. Its bad enough that we get Courtney Love and Noel Gallagher articles every other day despite neither of them doing anything interesting, this is just getting ridiculous.
    purplexing
    Actually, after re-reading this, I officially quit Ultimate-guitar.com, and would delete my account if U-G allowed me to. I don't want to be associated with a site that posts this kind of garbage. If the whole goal of this site is to demoralize religions, specifically Christianity, that's what it should be called. Ultimate-religion-bashing.com. But it is called Ultimate Guitar. How many things in this article relate to the guitar? None. People read the stories, because we're interested in Dave Mustaine, not your opinions on other people's views. Let's examine each of these headlines: --Obama was not born in America: is Mustaine wrong? The evidence since Obama was inaugurated says yes. Does Mustaine have the right to this opinion? Yes, because for whatever reason, these records weren't even produced before the man became president, and weren't until he'd been called out on it for weeks. Is Dave Mustaine an idiot for feeling pretty confident that something was up? No. --Rick Santorum is the best republican candidate: He's getting votes isn't he? If he had gotten less than one percent of the vote, then you could call Dave extreme, right now, you're just being dumb. Obviously a lot of people believe this. --I don't support gay marriage: And? Is he required by law to support something that is against the law in several states? Absolutely not. Does it hurt other people? Yes. Does absolutely everything the government does put some people at some sort of disadvantage? Pretty much. --They take God out of school to dumb us down: The most commonly used phrase in a lot of science classes are 'Scientists don't know why...'. Science books change every five years. By the time you've graduated college, some of the scientific 'facts' you learned a few years ago are now considered incorrect. Is it such a benefit to learn things that are later proved false? Sure i'm playing devil's advocate to science here, but since this is the case, why shouldn't Dave believe that God is a much better answer than the changing world of science? Let him believe what he wants. --Dave heals cancer with his hands: miracle. Maybe medical, maybe spiritual, who knows. Thank you for not attacking his beliefs in this headline. --African women should put a plug in it: While yes, we probably all think that was out of line.. Is it such a terrible solution to say that huge families make hunger a little more of a problem. It's a bit cruel from him, but 'ignorant'? Do you watch shows and learn about hunger in Africa and notice certain problems that would be easy solutions? He's certainly not 'ignoring' the situation, he's becoming educated about it and forming an opinion. And then his frontman ways of being a little too forward come out, but ignorance is not the word here. U-G... just be about Guitar again... these articles are pointless, degrading, and causing fights between users. Yes, Dave Mustaine articles, the Gallagher brother articles, and articles about other controversial people get more reads and comments than any truly Guitar music-related article that should absolutely not be the point. Maybe you should read some of the guitar magazines out there, and see how their articles are 90% actually about the music musicians play. That's what a guitar website should be, not a website about your writers' opinions that all religious, conservative people must be wiped from the face of the Earth
    I agree, you should leave. 1. Mustaine accusing Obama of not being born here is not an opinion, it's a lie. An opinion is something that is open ended. Obama was born here period. Also, he still hasn't ceded to this proof, so the fact that these were produced after Obama became president is irrelevant. 2. No, people are calling Mustaine extreme for choosing Santorum as his candidate for the fact that Santorum is a hateful bigot. 3. The fact that you are rationalizing the homophobes' feelings towards gay marriage is interesting to say the least. At the end of the day, Mustaine opposes gays getting married, even if in no way they have any effect in his life. 4. Because if he wants to believe that the world is 5,000 years old let him. But telling schools to put this is bullshit because we all know that that this planet has been here longer. Yes, science does change things but that is no excuse for teaching kids complete bullshit instead of proven facts. 5. Clearly shows how illogical Mustaine's thinking is. 6. You're questioning his ignorance? Both him and you are extremely ignorant on how much rape goes on in Africa. The difference between UG and other magazines is obvious. UG updates news daily while magazines give news monthly. There is plenty of guitar related information in the interview section. The news section informs users about news in the music industry, but specifically that which has something to do with guitarists.
    zn-1
    I don't understand why people on Ultimate-Guitar lash out at Dave Mustaine for his comments when there are hundreds, if not thousands, that have the exact same or similar beliefs.
    Orlando Gomez
    well that was a very stupid reaction from GWAR frontman Oderus Urungus -.- its not a huge deal you retard
    Epi g-310
    masterofmetal85 wrote: J.R. Legrasse wrote: Epi g-310 wrote: Go tell that to the thousands of women who were impregnated by organized rape. I'm sure the warlord armies will understand the need to eliminate hunger and just... stop raping women. Great point, and it was Rick Santorum that said raped women should make the best out of a bad situation and raise their rapist's child, not have an abortion. Dave should slap that on a placard next time he goes to a Santorum rally. so I guess in your world one wrong + another wrong = a right ?
    It's more complicated than that and you damn well know it. Soundbite culture frustrates me to no end. You know that that's an entirely different debate and trying to contain it into a single sentence like reporters do causes half the misunderstanding and problems in issues like that.
    Epi g-310
    I'm tired of posting on this article again and again and again, but here's a fun fact for you: enough food to feed the entire world's population can be grown in a space the size of Texas. Big families are not what causes hunger, as the incorrect guitarist seems to believe, (the US actually has a surplus of food), the cause is distribution of wealth. Believe what you will, that's the truth. There is plenty of food to go around.
    Megackers
    purplexing wrote: --They take God out of school to dumb us down: The most commonly used phrase in a lot of science classes are 'Scientists don't know why...'. Science books change every five years. By the time you've graduated college, some of the scientific 'facts' you learned a few years ago are now considered incorrect. Is it such a benefit to learn things that are later proved false? Sure i'm playing devil's advocate to science here, but since this is the case, why shouldn't Dave believe that God is a much better answer than the changing world of science? Let him believe what he wants.
    The point of science is to better our knowledge about things. The reason theories are proved wrong, is because a more accurate one has presented itself. If you don't think science should be taught in school, why have you not joined an Amish community, and live 400 years ago. Get off the internet, sell your computer, and stop using anything that was ever invented, built and designed by science. /rant
    Epi g-310
    K!!LsWiTcH wrote: to be fair, if you cant feed yourself, why have a kid to not be able to feed it as well. hes kinda right there. think before you ****.
    Go tell that to the thousands of women who were impregnated by organized rape. I'm sure the warlord armies will understand the need to eliminate hunger and just... stop raping women.
    tnekf94
    Seriously, UG. I'm sick and tired of hearing the Mustaine news. I respect him as a guitarist and as a band leader. Who on UG gives a shit about his views? It's ultimate GUITAR - not ultimate philosophy. Dave is known to have balls-out personality. get over it, UG.
    rhs5110
    Is ulitmate guitar run by trolls now? its starting to feel like it
    yearzero
    Look on the bright side Dave, you always have a potential job with Fox News to fall back on.
    tcoop88
    It is sad that nobody can HANDLE the truth and what Dave is saying is true, although matter of opinion, but he has balls to say it like it is. Come on people take a little constructive criticism.
    Epi g-310
    Pycco-TypbIcTo wrote: It seems that the author of this article is gay, otherwise I see no reason why he's so touchy with Dave supporting Rick Santorum (who's a reasonable guy, dead babies jokes aside) and his refusal to accept gay marriages.
    Or maybe there are at least a few straight people out there who believe in supporting oppressed minorities?
    NeedACoffee
    cds+stereo=life wrote: Goddammit, UG. You keep feeding the troll.
    UG is the troll. We keep feeding it.
    TriAxe222
    It is obvious that 99% posters for UG are all liberals, as well as the people picking the topics. If you like to make the conservative right look bad, take it to a website were people talk about real politics (if u are not afraid of having you asses handed to you)and leave Dave alone before he finds you.
    Barbarian Kayak
    You know what, I know that this is almost as controversial as what Dave says, but I'll say that I agree with him. There is no such thing as a poor opinion. That is the reason why it is called and OPINION and not a truth. It doesn't matter whether he is right or wrong, everyone has a right to their own beliefs. People need to stop wetting their pants over what other people think.
    shikkaka
    This is a ridiculous article. It is one thing to note it when he says it, but to make a list of the most controversial things he has said is clearly aimed at inciting a flame war in the comments. Plus, in a career spanning 30 years, you only pulled out the most recent things he has said (last three months probably). I say everyone should just stop commenting on Dave Mustaine articles.
    snowbeast63
    Could this be ANY more unrelated to guitar? Subtract a metal legend and this is empty journalism. And Gwar is a grain of sand compared to the mountain that is Megadeth.
    AntwanL
    The african women one is correct other than his wording. Obviously he didnt literally mean plug up your uterus/vag. But the idea of, "have less kids and you would have less mouths to feed" seems pretty damn logical to me to help ease hunger, less hungry people means less hunger and quite possibly more food to go around to the fewer people left to need food. UG takes so much shit out of context too, his Gay Marriage comment, he isn't gay, it doesn't effect him, why the hell would he support it. I don't have a cat, don't care for cats, why the hell would I care about any laws or rules pertaining to cats? It won't effect me. Gay couples have domestic partnerships, what else do you need? Its like me complaining my dick is called a vag *whiney voice* "well they come from the same predeveloped structure, i want medical terms to be changed because i dont feel equal, both should have the same name even though they are different" */whiney voice* Marriage = man+woman for all of history domestic partnership = man+man/woman+woman ever since they became socially acceptable LIVE WITH IT!! Who cares if Dave Mustaine supports your decision!??
    guitarsolo_17
    Actually, after re-reading this, I officially quit Ultimate-guitar.com, and would delete my account if U-G allowed me to. I don't want to be associated with a site that posts this kind of garbage. If the whole goal of this site is to demoralize religions, specifically Christianity, that's what it should be called. Ultimate-religion-bashing.com. But it is called Ultimate Guitar. How many things in this article relate to the guitar? None. People read the stories, because we're interested in Dave Mustaine, not your opinions on other people's views. Let's examine each of these headlines: --Obama was not born in America: is Mustaine wrong? The evidence since Obama was inaugurated says yes. Does Mustaine have the right to this opinion? Yes, because for whatever reason, these records weren't even produced before the man became president, and weren't until he'd been called out on it for weeks. Is Dave Mustaine an idiot for feeling pretty confident that something was up? No. --Rick Santorum is the best republican candidate: He's getting votes isn't he? If he had gotten less than one percent of the vote, then you could call Dave extreme, right now, you're just being dumb. Obviously a lot of people believe this. --I don't support gay marriage: And? Is he required by law to support something that is against the law in several states? Absolutely not. Does it hurt other people? Yes. Does absolutely everything the government does put some people at some sort of disadvantage? Pretty much. --They take God out of school to dumb us down: The most commonly used phrase in a lot of science classes are 'Scientists don't know why...'. Science books change every five years. By the time you've graduated college, some of the scientific 'facts' you learned a few years ago are now considered incorrect. Is it such a benefit to learn things that are later proved false? Sure i'm playing devil's advocate to science here, but since this is the case, why shouldn't Dave believe that God is a much better answer than the changing world of science? Let him believe what he wants. --Dave heals cancer with his hands: miracle. Maybe medical, maybe spiritual, who knows. Thank you for not attacking his beliefs in this headline. --African women should put a plug in it: While yes, we probably all think that was out of line.. Is it such a terrible solution to say that huge families make hunger a little more of a problem. It's a bit cruel from him, but 'ignorant'? Do you watch shows and learn about hunger in Africa and notice certain problems that would be easy solutions? He's certainly not 'ignoring' the situation, he's becoming educated about it and forming an opinion. And then his frontman ways of being a little too forward come out, but ignorance is not the word here. U-G... just be about Guitar again... these articles are pointless, degrading, and causing fights between users. Yes, Dave Mustaine articles, the Gallagher brother articles, and articles about other controversial people get more reads and comments than any truly Guitar music-related article that should absolutely not be the point. Maybe you should read some of the guitar magazines out there, and see how their articles are 90% actually about the music musicians play. That's what a guitar website should be, not a website about your writers' opinions that all religious, conservative people must be wiped from the face of the Earth
    SirWurscht
    That's childish, UG! You know, these are all answers to questions. He doesn't brought all these things up by himself, he was f'in asked about it. Sure, not all his views are comprehensible, but he is allowed to say that things. It's the freedom of speech we all care about. OK, Santorum may be a d**k, but Mustaine is allowed to support him. Everyone should've his opinion. He is allowed to not supporting gay marriage. And it's not that he said that he wants to gas all gays, like you all wanna make us believe. He just don't really care and used the wrong wordds for it. The plug? Once again, not the best word choice. But he has a point. You can call him stupid, but there is f'n overpopulation in Africa, mkay? And what's about that, UG?
    Of course, if Dave really can hold off the damage caused by cancer, maybe he should quit music and spend more time in cancer wards. Just sayin'.
    Are you crazy? Just because he says a few controversial things, you ssay he should stop music? I know it's fun. But don't mess with the best metal band on the planet (IN MY OPINION) That god out of school thing is really just rubbish, but his opinion and I respect that. And when Dave wanna believe that he can cure cancer - let him believe! What's wrong about it? Stop the mf'n bashing, guys. Thank him for his awesome music. He made the best metal album of 2011, for god's sake! Statement over, let the shitstorm begin
    X-Vision
    Is it really that hard to find better writers? These "articles" are retarded
    Wisthler
    Who is the biggest douchebag now? Mustaine with his comments? Or UG making fun of them after UG themselfs put it on the head of every day news?
    Iommianity
    I feel sorry for anyone who misunderstands the backlash against Dave's comments on gay marriage. Literally no one cares if you support gay marriage, picket against it, or march in pride parades. They're just asking for a little empathy and understanding. Whether or not you think gay marriage is acceptable is really a non issue, because it's not your say. Nor is it an attack against your religion, or heterosexual marriage at large. tl;dr It's not about Dave being against gay marriage, it's about Dave lacking empathy and the nuance to state his point without sounding like a douchebag.