Couple Refused Apartment For Being Metal Fans

A landlady changed her mind after discovering the husband played in a metal band, saying she is "uncomfortable with the energy that this music manifests".

logo
Ultimate Guitar
0

A married couple, Mike and Lara Crossley, were refused an apartment after the landlord discovered one of them played in a heavy metal band.

The landlady, Suzanne, verbally agreed to let the couple have the apartment, but looked them up online and changed her mind when she found that Mike played bass in the band Vilipend.

Suzanne wrote an email to explain: "We were quite ready to make a decision in your favour the other night. However, upon investigation of the band Vilipend, it has brought forward some concerns for us.

"We are uncomfortable with the energy that this music manifests."

Mike can't believe the landlady would judge him based on his taste of music, but says it highlights the reality faced by other minorities every day in an interview with Classic Rock.

"The point is not that a couple of twenty-somethings missed out on a decent apartment," he said. "If Lara and I were discriminated against as a dual full-time income, caucasian, middle-class, heterosexual couple with good references and credit checks, imagine the difficult somebody who doesn't have those advantages must experience."

Mike recommends the documentary "Metal: a Headbanger's Journey" to anyone who doesn't truly understand the reality of being a metal fan.

"We fear what we don't understand. The world is full of closed minds," Mike adds. "I hope we can help to open even one by bringing this scenario to light and by showing ourselves to be satisfactory human beings."

You can read Lara's side of the story, and her email reply to the landlady, on her blog.

119 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Human371
    My Last Words wrote: Landlady tried to kill the metal.. and it failed, as metal was striken down on the street!
    NO ONE CAN DESTROY THE METAL. THE METAL WILL STRIKE YOU DOWN WITH A VICIOUS BLOW. yeah this annoys me because everyone seems to take it upon themselves to be the judge of what is acceptable in music taste. Maybe I do this occasionally too, but how many of these people spend nearly ALL their time listening to music, playing guitar, buying CDs, etc etc. That'd be like this guy not renting to that landlady because he didn't like that Betty White was her favorite Golden Girl. He knows nothing about the Golden Girls and can't make that call.
    MAGGOTCFH
    More people who dont understand metal but are willing to judge it. it disgust me
    ronhoward
    aureliusgtr wrote: Racist? Yes. True? Yes. Sad? Yes. America has a lot of opportunities for everyone. But the sad truth is, being a White Male will get you farther with less work. Ive seen it many times. Its just the way it is. Its changing. But its still easier for a white male than a woman, or a man of any other race. Unless shes a hot woman. In this country tits and ass will also take you far. have you heard of affirmitive action?? because I am white i got absolutely no grants from the governemnt for college...im paying off a mountain of student loan debt, however, my financial advisor informed me if i was black, or any other "minority" i would have gotten half of my education paid for by the government....doesnt sound like being white had that much of an advantage for me...and btw, businesses are REQUIRED to hire a certain percentage of minority employess, meaning white people could be passed up for jobs (even if they are more qualified) just to fill a quota...to me, this is reverse racism...to minorities its not because it seems as long as your doing something against white people, it doesnt count as racism...
    Um, no. I'm a white male and I get pell money for college. It's need based, not race based. It takes into account your income and your household. If you have a lower income and/or a household with multiple dependents then you have a higher need and will be able to get more money. When you fill out your FAFSA also has a lot to do with the amount of aid you get. the earlier the better. It is need based, but is also on a first come first served basis. Your financial aid advisor is a crock. There may be more scholarships available for minority students (because statistically they are more at risk in educational areas), but that's scholarships not federal aid. Affirmative action was created because of the inequalities towards minorities that is a part of our history. You can cry about reverse rascism all you want, but if you were a black man in the early 20th century it'd be a different story. It's not about filling a quota, it's about not making a judgement based on race for equally qualified applicants. I'm guessing you didn't take many social classes while in school though. You can either cry about how your life has turned out or you can make the best out of what you have. Because I guarantee you have a hell of a lot more than most people in the world. Stop being so arrogant.
    sg4ever
    Oh gosh, I'm Asian and I like metal. I'm done for. Not even my religious nature will pull me any credit here. Better buy a tent, I guess. Ignorant landlady is ignorant land lady.
    Erickson11
    Krieger91 wrote: That's pretty stupid.. But it's also weird that he listed "caucasian" as an advantage.
    I think he may have said that to further make his point. Not to pretend that any race is better than the other.
    arnolddrummer
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Wow... phoenix_crush wrote: Krieger91 wrote: That's pretty stupid.. But it's also weird that he listed "caucasian" as an advantage. Being white is a HUGE advantage in America.Um, what? Since when? That's just racist as hell, man.
    It' not racist, it's true. America (although it is getting better) still has racial tendencies.
    fuzz85
    its funny how metal fans get blamed for everything but we're the ones that are the most harmless cause we dont wanna cause any trouble and wanna be left alone
    EyesWideOpen
    DaddyTwoFoot wrote: Krieger91 wrote: That's pretty stupid.. But it's also weird that he listed "caucasian" as an advantage. Not really, considering that that's totally an advantage.
    Nah not really. Just because being something other than Caucasian might be a disadvantage in some cases doesn't make being cuacasian an advantage.
    link no1
    AGiftofFiction wrote: Everyone knows that metal is for children anyways.
    A comment usually thrown about by children trying to seem adult.
    FlyingPirahna
    fivebizebeavers wrote: Skodward714 wrote: Isn't refusing someone an apartment like that illegal? It is if they discriminate based upon age, sex, race, religion, disability's, and I think sexual orientation (some places have laws of sexual orientation, some dont.) There is no law that says anything about musical preference. That being said this is really stupid.
    I guess even Congress isn't stupid enough to think someone ELSE would be stupid enough to refuse an apartment on musical tastes, to put a law on the books for it.
    DaddyTwoFoot
    Krieger91 wrote: That's pretty stupid.. But it's also weird that he listed "caucasian" as an advantage.
    Not really, considering that that's totally an advantage.
    slfan68
    dave111223 wrote: He's not a "metal fan" he "plays in a heavy metal band". ie he's gonna be ripping it up in his apartment. She's worried he's gonna have a band over practicing every night. Pretty simple decision, nothing to do with metal fans.
    Except that you're wrong, and if you had taken more than 30 seconds to glance at the article and actually read from her blog you'd know that. Before any of this occurred, they informed the landlady that Mike played in a band, but that they already had a practice space. It was only after the landlady Googled the band and heard their music that she decided she didn't want to rent to these guys. The more you know.
    Slaytan666
    satansnachos wrote: and canadians live in igloos
    Only in the winter, there's a month or two we spend in teepees. On Topic: Perhaps this lady doesn't understand that A- His full bass rig most likely stays at the jam space/drummers house, And B- all amps have volume dials and headphone jacks. She probably thinks he'll sacrifice kittens on the balcony while covered in goats' blood.
    MeanMrMustard99
    This happens all the time, its just that usually the landlord isn't dumb enough to say it and just makes up some other bulls*%t excuse.
    theboss123
    mradubz33 wrote: Maybe she turned them away because he plays bass.... I'm gonna catch shit for this
    Bassists unite? I love playing the bass, maybe even more so than guitar!
    thebigredjj10
    stonedhippos wrote: aureliusgtr wrote: Racist? Yes. True? Yes. Sad? Yes. America has a lot of opportunities for everyone. But the sad truth is, being a White Male will get you farther with less work. Ive seen it many times. Its just the way it is. Its changing. But its still easier for a white male than a woman, or a man of any other race. Unless shes a hot woman. In this country tits and ass will also take you far. have you heard of affirmitive action?? because I am white i got absolutely no grants from the governemnt for college...im paying off a mountain of student loan debt, however, my financial advisor informed me if i was black, or any other "minority" i would have gotten half of my education paid for by the government....doesnt sound like being white had that much of an advantage for me...and btw, businesses are REQUIRED to hire a certain percentage of minority employess, meaning white people could be passed up for jobs (even if they are more qualified) just to fill a quota...to me, this is reverse racism...to minorities its not because it seems as long as your doing something against white people, it doesnt count as racism... not in all parts can it be seen, but if you live in LA, for example, and call the police in a black neighborhood, they will arrive very late. go into the white part, the police are there instantly. on a side note, it isn't like white people were enslaved for 200 years and treated like dirt for another 100.
    You are right, it's not a picnic for minorities in every part of the country. And in the past they had the short end of the stick (understatement). But we are talking about the present here, and in many places there is a lot of reverse racism. Is it time for white people to get what's coming to them? I don't see why, seeing as this generation had nothing to do with the sins of the previous ones. Also, slavery and racism was not something unique to white people. Those things are as old as humanity, so to blame them on white people is as stupid as blaming crime on black people. Throughout history there were many empires of every other race that were built by slaves as well. So this idea that white people should feel ashamed for being born is as stupid as black people being ashamed for being born. My point everyone needs to stop being so racist on both sides.
    satansnachos
    I just got done watching the metal documentary and it's worth the watch because you get to se titties
    anneurbs
    If you post the address, you'd have a least one person willing to explain that loving metal music doesn't make you bad or a risk.
    KNEESLAPPINGTON
    zPfft, try being an agnostic, pansexual, brony metalhead. You can't get ANYWHERE with those credentials.
    fibaz
    Yeah it sucks to be denied over a reason such as that. However, it's up to the owner. No way around that. I've been denied a few times over some of the dumbest things. But once I bought my house I understand where they are coming from. It's not always about the money.... Or is it?
    EyesWideOpen
    Such a ridiculous reason for being refused. Sounds like some batty old witch who's really into "psychics" and telling people that jesus loves them. But only if they worship him otherwise they'll burn for all eternity.
    Botti13
    WOW If I was that lady I would have asked him for a song sample instead
    stonedhippos
    aureliusgtr wrote: Racist? Yes. True? Yes. Sad? Yes. America has a lot of opportunities for everyone. But the sad truth is, being a White Male will get you farther with less work. Ive seen it many times. Its just the way it is. Its changing. But its still easier for a white male than a woman, or a man of any other race. Unless shes a hot woman. In this country tits and ass will also take you far. have you heard of affirmitive action?? because I am white i got absolutely no grants from the governemnt for college...im paying off a mountain of student loan debt, however, my financial advisor informed me if i was black, or any other "minority" i would have gotten half of my education paid for by the government....doesnt sound like being white had that much of an advantage for me...and btw, businesses are REQUIRED to hire a certain percentage of minority employess, meaning white people could be passed up for jobs (even if they are more qualified) just to fill a quota...to me, this is reverse racism...to minorities its not because it seems as long as your doing something against white people, it doesnt count as racism...
    not in all parts can it be seen, but if you live in LA, for example, and call the police in a black neighborhood, they will arrive very late. go into the white part, the police are there instantly. on a side note, it isn't like white people were enslaved for 200 years and treated like dirt for another 100.
    ljpfahey
    satansnachos wrote: ljpfahey wrote: What were they doing looking for an apartment? Metal fans live in lairs. and canadians live in igloos
    That's penguins. Canadians live in imaginationland.
    Andragon
    Campbell2727 wrote: in other news a no name metal band no one has ever heard of gets free advertising for UG. seems like a good trade for missing an apartment, good luck to them
    Sure but they're on a US tour - booked solid for a bit... not sure they really needed the exposure as much as you think. It's an interesting story.
    6-String_Madman
    knoxy5 wrote: I would have refuse them! metal fans are generally heavy drinkers and non Christians so not good people, but that's just my opinion
    Opinions are like asses... everybody's got one and they all stink! I'm a metal fan, an occasional drinker and a Christian. Get your head off your ass, please.
    Dynamight
    Better find a landlord who doesn't know enough about metal to judge it, like most of them.
    carcass_prowler
    "uncomfortable with the energy this music manifests" what if th guy was a rapper? or a dance artist? or something. i wanna ask this chick what is the apporapriate taste in music is to be able to obtain the right to live somewhere. by the sound of it, this is a lounge or smooth jazz kind of property
    nnb
    Holy crap this was in Toronto? I was expecting this to be in some backroad town somewhere in the states but in a major city?
    guitar7masta
    I can't stand the people that say there isn't any racism in America anymore when I see it on a day to day basis. I also can't stand Pat Buchanan wannabees that act like white peoples rights are being trampled on. :/ What world do they live in?!
    Gunpowder
    To anyone who is saying that being white in America isn't an advantage, or that it's only a small advantage: look up the concept of "white privilege." You may not think that there are advantages to being white, but that's largely a product of having a white worldview - there are many, many ways that society is made for whites that you would only notice were you a non-white living in America. Essentially, being a white heterosexual male is the "default" state of Americans, the norm, and being any other state deviates in some capacity from that norm. You don't realize all of the societal advantages to being white because society is tailored for whites. As a small sample: 1. Whites can act as individuals, without others seeing their actions as a reflection on their gender. 2. Whites are not asked to speak as a representative of their race. 3. Whites can turn on the TV and expect to see their race widely represented. That's a very small sample. Here's an article by Peggy McIntosh - "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" that really gets into the meat of the issue for anyone who's interested: http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/mcint... Happy reading.
    kmcharger21
    This is going to help out his band. I looked up his band to hear what they were like. Im sure many others have too.
    Braykah
    Spitshine610 wrote: Good, I wouldn't want to live next door to a bunch of metal douchebags. 1987 called, they wanted their music back!
    Because drone/post-metal is SOOO 1987...
    Gortorek
    Low IQ bigoted landlady refuses apartment...
    Maestro1600 wrote: Y'know what? Most of the elitist metal heads on here would give it all the big talk about not letting an apartment to pop fans, so fair enough! She owns the building, she can rent to who she wants
    ...and according to equally dull folks like this guy, WE are somehow the elitists. Right. Also, I don't wish for emo kids/dubsteppers/rappers etc to suffer... why would I, and why would anybody else who represents Metal? We get enough shit from hateful retards to become them ourselves. You're in the wrong here, boy. Back onto topic, it's cultural discrimination... unfortunately, we won't see this sort of institutionalized bigotry being put down for many years to come, the the best thing we can do is hold our heads up high and put as much pressure on our governments as possible - we'll be treated like human beings in the end. As it stands, the western world as a whole is only just starting to get a grasp that it's wrong to discriminate over ethnicity.
    seabear70
    Ok, I want you to imagine this for a second... You are in an apartment. Someone move in next door. They are carrying in stacked amplifiers. You meet them. You mention that you play the guitar, thinking you have found a common interest. They invite you to jam that night. You show up guitar in hand. They offer you a beer. And then... They pull our an electric accordion and insist on playing drunk Polka Music until the wee hours of the morning. I may prefer Metal, but I sympathize with the landlord. I would avoid renting to anyone in a band. I have lived next to several band members, and they never cease to get noise complaints and the cops are always called on them for it. It does not matter if it is Polka, Metal, or some bizzare hybrid of the two, or something else entirely.
    -xCaMRocKx-
    BigZman95 wrote: Well not get political here but... I'm anti-abortion. I believe in basic human rights.
    bzzt.. does not compute.. bzzt.. Anyway, this is stupid and that lady is stupid. Stupid.
    sn00ze
    She is the owner and if she probably thinks they will be practicing in the apartment. Hard to judge since we know few lines of text about the story. But discrimination? It is my apartment, I can choose who to rent it.
    BigZman95
    Well not get political here but... I'm anti-abortion. I'm pro same-sex marriage. I believe in God. I believe in basic human rights. I believe in people treating others well. I am an animal lover and treat them well. I am nonviolent unless threatened. I don't do drugs or illegal shit. And my favorite music is metal, of all kinds. Don't judge someone without knowing them. Because you don't know what that person is like on the inside. My cousin is tattooed from head to toe, has huge gauges and piercings all over. He is very religious and a great person.
    gman33
    In all fairness to the landlady, I checked out the band on youtube. I can see why she turned them down.