Rob Zombie's Tips For Zeroes

Rob Zombie has warned wannabe rock stars to be grateful and humble if they're aiming for lasting success.

Rob Zombie's Tips For Zeroes
25
The musician and movie producer, who's set for a tour with fellow shock-rock veteran Marilyn Manson, says he's seen too many beginners make the same error time and time again. Zombie tells Spin: "I remember when White Zombie got signed to Geffen. That's when all the bands were getting signed to Geffen. There was this one mistake a lot of bands made, and they still make it. "You're still some unknown band nobody gives two shits about you just happened to be signed to a label. "Bands suddenly copped an attitude, and suddenly they were egotistical and annoying. They thought they were big shots but they were still nobody. "I remember walking into Geffen on the first day, when our record wasn't even out, looking at everybody working in the office and thinking, "Nobody in this office cares if I become a millionaire rock star. This isn't something that keeps them awake at night." "You've got to go in there, be nice to people, and hopefully they'll become your friends and you'll all work hard and it will happen. "Bands that rolled in with a big attitude, like they were some big deal I found that very strange." Zombie believes so many outfits walk into the same trap as they're too inexperienced to realise they're not entitled to success. He explains: "You don't appreciate anything because you don't think in terms of, "Wow, this could end." "I can go onstage and play the same song I've played since the day it was written 20 years ago, but it's still fun to play. Not because of me, but because as soon as you begin the crowd goes crazy. It's like you're playing it first the first time again. "It's that way with everything. Every time I start the next movie it's as exciting as the first time. Every time the band is about to go onstage, you keep that excitement. But I think people lose it I see it in other bands. "They're so busy complaining about everything they forget they have the greatest job in the world. How can you be miserable with the greatest job in the world?" Thanks to ClassicRockMagazine for the report.

37 comments sorted by best / new / date

comments policy
    Lord_Doku
    Rob is absolutely right. Nothing aggravates people more than selfish hotshots that genuinely believe they own the world telling them to hurry up with their record. Respect takes you a long way.
    onetonryan
    Dear Billy Corgan. Please see the comments from Rob Zombie below. Hoefully, you will find them insightful. Mr. Zombie is one of your peers in the music industry and is well respected. Kindest regards.
    "I can go onstage and play the same song Ive played since the day it was written 20 years ago, but its still fun to play. Not because of me, but because as soon as you begin the crowd goes crazy. Its like youre playing it first the first time again. ... Theyre so busy complaining about everything they forget they have the greatest job in the world. How can you be miserable with the greatest job in the world?"
    baneofmorgoth
    Leave it to Rob Zombie to dish out the biggest fact that today's generation needs to hear. We're not entitled to anything, and respect is how you get where you want to be. Well, hard work excluded.
    Abacus11
    Wow. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of his music (just not my thing) but I love his movies and after this interview I have a ton of respect for him. What a refreshing, intelligent, positive attitude. He deserves his success and more more! Awesome.
    Set-Abominae
    I seriously love Rob Zombie, great musician and a great director. This would kind of explain why, he's very down to earth. Welcome to planet motherf**ker!
    J.R. Legrasse
    onetonryan wrote: Dear Billy Corgan...Hoefully...
    That's when he was banging Courtney Love.
    poisonousmetal
    as said by Zakk Wylde: " you've still gotta listen to music with a fourteen-year-old's ears. Remembering when you were like, 'Dude, we're going to see ZEPPELIN this weekend!' that's what it's all about, man. Because once you lose that, then you shouldn't be doing it anymore." Rob Zombie has that
    m4ss3 m/
    Wow, really opened my eyes. Especially the last paragraph. He seems much nicer guy than you would first think.
    Niiko
    colashanacogh wrote: RC52190 wrote: colashanacogh wrote: Yes yes let's not forget this guy ruined the halloween series. Yea, which means anything he has to say from this point on is irrelevant, because were all uppity, close-minded pricks... And by "all of us," I mean "one of us." And by "one of us," I mean "you." This guy has some very real, insightful shit to say, not just about music, but it applies to life itself, in that you shouldn't let a little bit of success blow your head up, or you will hinder yourself. Good advice, which shouldn't be disregarded just because of some project he did that "ruined the Halloween series" ...In your opinion, I might add, so that's rather subjective. Yeah it's kind of hard to get a point through to a bunch of biased fanboys with a hard on for Rob Zombie in particular you, also it's not just my opinion that he ruined the series lol you naive idiot.
    Oh so you're saying it's fact that he ruined the series? Really?! You really must be an idiot if you can call someone a naive idiot for pointing out the difference between an opinion and what isn't. And what point were you trying to get through exactly? Your opinion to not take his obviously wise words seriously because he embarked on a project that wasn't to your liking? What are you, 14?
    RC52190
    colashanacogh wrote: Yes yes let's not forget this guy ruined the halloween series.
    Yea, which means anything he has to say from this point on is irrelevant, because were all uppity, close-minded pricks... And by "all of us," I mean "one of us." And by "one of us," I mean "you." This guy has some very real, insightful shit to say, not just about music, but it applies to life itself, in that you shouldn't let a little bit of success blow your head up, or you will hinder yourself. Good advice, which shouldn't be disregarded just because of some project he did that "ruined the Halloween series" ...In your opinion, I might add, so that's rather subjective.
    BloodyPumpkins
    onetonryan wrote: Dear Billy Corgan. Please see the comments from Rob Zombie below. Hoefully, you will find them insightful. Mr. Zombie is one of your peers in the music industry and is well respected. Kindest regards. "I can go onstage and play the same song Ive played since the day it was written 20 years ago, but its still fun to play. Not because of me, but because as soon as you begin the crowd goes crazy. Its like youre playing it first the first time again. ... Theyre so busy complaining about everything they forget they have the greatest job in the world. How can you be miserable with the greatest job in the world?"
    Yep, he is being kind of a bellend about playing older songs nowadays... I mean, we already ****ing know that the new Smashing Pumpkins is not a revival band of the older Pumpkins, you've just released 2 new albums since 2007, Corgan...
    bobmarley_fan
    colashanacogh wrote: Yes yes let's not forget this guy ruined the halloween series.
    It wasnt already ruined before he made one.....Yeah Right
    slapsymcdougal
    RC52190 wrote: colashanacogh wrote: Yes yes let's not forget this guy ruined the halloween series. Yea, which means anything he has to say from this point on is irrelevant, because were all uppity, close-minded pricks... And by "all of us," I mean "one of us." And by "one of us," I mean "you." This guy has some very real, insightful shit to say, not just about music, but it applies to life itself, in that you shouldn't let a little bit of success blow your head up, or you will hinder yourself. Good advice, which shouldn't be disregarded just because of some project he did that "ruined the Halloween series" ...In your opinion, I might add, so that's rather subjective.
    I can't be the only one who thought the Halloween series was ruined long before Rob directed them, can I?
    gnurph
    Wise words from Rob Zombie. I just wish I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to heed this advice. And BTW, the Halloween relaunch (not exactly remake) was pretty good, in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
    False_God
    Wise words from Mr. Cummings. Too bad most bands/musicians would not heed such advice, they might actually get further.
    james1210
    My buddy was in a metal band back in the day. They opened for White Zombie when they just started to make it and I guess the band kicked them out of the area where they had catered food and drinks. Seems a little weird when he gives that kind of advice.
    Anjohl
    Other side is, almost all record label money is in the form of advances, so you have nothing but debt coming out of the gates. Interest free debt, but debt nonetheless.
    nnb
    colashanacogh wrote: nnb wrote: Sigh, thus is the problem when arguing with flaming fanboys who's balls haven't yet descended, your problem is that you briefly glance through what i have written and interpret it in whatever way suits you. No i wasn't saying that it's fact that he ruined the series, as much as it's a fact that Hitler was blonde, it's a debatable situation but basically we all know the real truth. I respect his wise words and didn't say that we should "not take his obviously wise words seriously because he embarked on a project that wasn't to your liking?" My point is that he get's so much praise from music fans when a different group of people like movie lovers would see the flaws in his controversial role as a director, for example the upcoming abortion that is "Lords of Salem". So in conclusion, please eject your head from your ass and if your going to embellish or paraphrase what i wrote, at least do it right kid. Essential your admitting that your original post had nothing to do with what the article was about? First of all it doesn't need to be as you would know if you weren't born yesterday, but anyway it actually did have something to do with the article because the person mentioned directed the film i was referring to.
    And what if he did? The article refers to Zombie making a point with regard to new bands/artists and their attitude it does not in any way refer to his films, thus your original point had nothing to do with this article
    jordo246
    Hopefully Oli Sykes will see this, realise he's none of these things and quit music.
    J.R. Legrasse
    colashanacogh wrote: Yes yes let's not forget this guy ruined the halloween series.
    Ever see Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch ? The Halloween series was ruined loooong before Zombie was in (or in this case, directing) the picture.
    dewitt
    colashanacogh wrote: Niiko wrote: colashanacogh wrote: RC52190 wrote: colashanacogh wrote: Yes yes let's not forget this guy ruined the halloween series. Yea, which means anything he has to say from this point on is irrelevant, because were all uppity, close-minded pricks... And by "all of us," I mean "one of us." And by "one of us," I mean "you." This guy has some very real, insightful shit to say, not just about music, but it applies to life itself, in that you shouldn't let a little bit of success blow your head up, or you will hinder yourself. Good advice, which shouldn't be disregarded just because of some project he did that "ruined the Halloween series" ...In your opinion, I might add, so that's rather subjective. Yeah it's kind of hard to get a point through to a bunch of biased fanboys with a hard on for Rob Zombie in particular you, also it's not just my opinion that he ruined the series lol you naive idiot. Oh so you're saying it's fact that he ruined the series? Really?! You really must be an idiot if you can call someone a naive idiot for pointing out the difference between an opinion and what isn't. And what point were you trying to get through exactly? Your opinion to not take his obviously wise words seriously because he embarked on a project that wasn't to your liking? What are you, 14? Oh so you're saying it's fact that he ruined the series? Really?! You really must be an idiot if you can call someone a naive idiot for pointing out the difference between an opinion and what isn't. And what point were you trying to get through exactly? Your opinion to not take his obviously wise words seriously because he embarked on a project that wasn't to your liking? What are you, 14?
    Sigh, thus is the problem when arguing with flaming fanboys who's balls haven't yet descended, your problem is that you briefly glance through what i have written and interpret it in whatever way suits you. No i wasn't saying that it's fact that he ruined the series, as much as it's a fact that Hitler was blonde, it's a debatable situation but basically we all know the real truth. I respect his wise words and didn't say that we should "not take his obviously wise words seriously because he embarked on a project that wasn't to your liking?" My point is that he get's so much praise from music fans when a different group of people like movie lovers would see the flaws in his controversial role as a director, for example the upcoming abortion that is "Lords of Salem". So in conclusion, please eject your head from your ass and if your going to embellish or paraphrase what i wrote, at least do it right kid.[/quote] I think you're maybe just not too good at getting your point across. You have to say what you mean. In real-life conversation, you can use gestures and other non-verbal communication to help imply your point, but in the comments section here, all we've got is this text. After all that back and forth, I'm still not exactly sure what your original point is. We should take what he says about the music business with a grain of salt because you weren't fond of his movies? That's what I got out of it. I also have come to the conclusion that you're somewhat of a pretentious prick -- lashing out at the people who must certainly be Rob Zombie fanboys, since they disagree with you on an issue that involves him in an article about him. I'm no Rob Zombie 'fanboy'. I think practically everything he's done since White Zombie was shit, and White Zombie wasn't anywhere near perfect. I don't see what the big deal is about his Halloween movies, though. Sure, compare them to actually great movies, and it's kind of shit; compare them to the other Halloween movies, and they look pretty damn good to me. It might not be better than the first one or two, but aside from the fact that it's not an original idea, I really don't see what makes it any worse. It's not like the original was some grand masterpiece, either.
    nnb
    Sigh, thus is the problem when arguing with flaming fanboys who's balls haven't yet descended, your problem is that you briefly glance through what i have written and interpret it in whatever way suits you. No i wasn't saying that it's fact that he ruined the series, as much as it's a fact that Hitler was blonde, it's a debatable situation but basically we all know the real truth. I respect his wise words and didn't say that we should "not take his obviously wise words seriously because he embarked on a project that wasn't to your liking?" My point is that he get's so much praise from music fans when a different group of people like movie lovers would see the flaws in his controversial role as a director, for example the upcoming abortion that is "Lords of Salem". So in conclusion, please eject your head from your ass and if your going to embellish or paraphrase what i wrote, at least do it right kid.
    Essential your admitting that your original post had nothing to do with what the article was about?