Apart from being a guitar master, Steven Wilson is also a movie aficionado, and has recently cited the film world as one of the key inspirations behind some of his music.
Wilson hit Facebook to discuss the matter, sharing a list of 20 personal all-time favorites along the way.
"I love the world of cinema, and it's always been one of the biggest influences on my music," he kicked off. "Of course, there must be many more great films I haven't seen than ones I have, and I've probably missed a few that I should put on here, but these are 20 films I have seen that I really love. In chronological order (don't make me pick one...oh alright then, the last one on the list):
01. Un Chien Andalou (Luis Bunuel / Salvador Dali, 1929)
02. Twelve Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
03. Blow Up (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1966)
04. Whistle and I'll Come to You (Jonathan Miller, 1968)
05. O Lucky Man! (Lindsay Anderson, 1973)
06. Don't Look Now (Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
07. The Exorcist (William Friedkin, 1973)
08. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Peter Weir, 1975)
09. All the President's Men (Alan J. Pakula, 1976)
10. Murder by Decree (Bob Clark, 1979)
11. Quadrophenia (Franc Roddam, 1979)
12. The Elephant Man (David Lynch, 1980)
13. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
14. The Company of Wolves (Neil Jordan, 1984)
15. Dead Mans Shoes (Shane Meadows, 2004)
16. Hidden / Cache (Michael Haneke, 2005)
17. The Prestige (Christopher Nolan, 2006)
18. Let the Right One In (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)19. Inception (Christoper Nolan, 2010)20. Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)"
Steven made sure to include a few side notes, adding that "1973 was a great year for films (and music too)," as well as pointing out that "11 films [are] by British directors, very patriotic! (and two films starring US actress Scarlett Johansson)."
Furthermore, the musician noted: "Not a lot of laughs there" and "I couldn't pick one Kubrick film above all others to put in the 20, but I love almost all his films."
Saying that he hasn't seen "Snowpiercer" yet, Wilson asked the fans to suggest movies they consider worth checking out.
We know that UG community knows its music, but we don't get to discuss films too often. If you're up for movie talk, make sure to kick off the chat in the comments.
In the music domain, Wilson's latest studio album, "The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories)" saw its release in February last year, ultimately becoming the second best album of 2013 based on UG community vote.