AD70 review by Alvarez

Alvarez: AD70

I've been playing for 14 years. I play a lot of blues and fingerstyle guitar at home and it suits it perfectly, the sound with bare fingers is awesome! It was the sound and action that caught my attention instantly at this guitar. I tried out other guitars, some Larrivees, Fenders, Takamines and Taylors, 800-1600 Euro models, they didn't sound any better and I couldn't believe it. So I went at the shop three times again to try if my ears were lying to me at the first time, but no, I even took my friends with me to judge. Sound is very warm and bass dominant in the low strings, medium bright in the high strings. I think the sound is better with the fingers than with the pick. Still, the sound with the pick is not bad at all, it's just brighter and more metallic, and very loud! Haven't played very much yet with an amplifier, but what I have tested, the 600T system works fine. There are good equalization possibilities in it.

I play pop/rock/folk/blues and it suits me perfectly! It seems to be the best bargain of my life. Premium guitar with a very low price. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to find guitar that matches the great sound of those high priced brands, but with much less money. The neck and action is for everyone to decide on they own, for me it was great.

I've owned it only two weeks so I can't say much about the durability. It feels very strong and I believe it's definitely going to stand the test of time. I'm giving it ten just because I love my guitar. Can't say anything sure about this.

Action was fine without adjusting, thin neck allows better string bending without much force. It's a beautiful guitar, with natural wood colors. Better looking than most girls I've met. There is slightly rough finishing with the frets, they make little bit sound when you bend the string. The salesman at the shop said that there's is usually the difference between this and those much more expensive guitars. Frets should smoothen in playing with the time so I'm not gonna pay hundreds for the tiny differences in finishing.

AD70SC is from the new Alvarez Artist Series. It has a cut away Indian rosewood body, solid spruce top and 600T MK II Preamp/EQ. There is one Piezo microphone inside the body and you can also ad an auxiliary condenser microphone at it, the 600T system has a plug in for that. You can mix the piezo and condenser mic from the EQ. There is also tuner in the electronics, but unfortunately it's not very accurate. Neck has 20 frets and it is very thin, which fits great for us less fortunate in finger lenght. I don't know where it's made, other guy here mentioned that his AD70 was made in Japan, so maybe it's from there.