RD20 review by Alvarez

Alvarez: RD20

Purchased from: World Of Music-Erie

I'm just playing chords and a little lead stuff right now Eagles and Toby Keith, Crosby Stills Nash, etc. Full sounding even with Light strings.

I'm playing easy rock-country and bluegrass stuff that is easy to learn I have no other guitars right now. I will add some form of pickup (ups) on it later. I like this thing so far it plays and sounds like a much more expensive guitar..rings like a bell on Bluegrass stuff and I can still play it quietly when my son's sleeping. I'd buy another one if it got stolen (don't get any ideas) you can't beat the looks sound and playability of it for the money.

So far the guitar will play with the best of 'em, stay in tune and looks as good or better than some pretty expensive guitars. I haven't had a problem in 5 months and play it every day at least an hour. I'm not too worried about gigging out yet :^)

Set-up was good neck straight and tuned but I did have the saddle shimmed to get a small buzz out of it if I played anything further up the neck. Finish is flawless and high gloss. Intonation is good also.

This is a 2003 model..my first serious guitar,(I always played around with righty guitars upside down) it's made in China. It has Mahoghany back, neck, and sides and a solid spruce top...very sharp looking with a glossy finish. It's a dreadnaught and is very loud, the saddle was a bit low and was shimmed after a about a week of playing. Now it rings loud and clear at every fret. Fingerboard is rosewood and is almost as dark as ebony. Enclosed tuners that are very sensitive and are probably schallers, tune it once and it stays in tune, unless there is a dramatic change in temp i.e. I take it outside (its now 18). A great sounding guitar for the money, made at the Samick factory I think..along with 9 other brands...I like the sound of Dean Markley phosphor-bronze lights on it. It doesn't have a strap button on it...gotta drill and screw one in the neck, it does have one on the bottom. This guitar sounds every bit as nice as a buddies Martin, it looks good it is fully bound with black and white binding. The action is close and the neck is thin and fast. If you're into names then get a Martin or a real Alvarez Yairi or something, if you're into practising and having a decent looking guitar and your left handed get one of these.