RD8 review by Alvarez

Alvarez: RD8

Purchased from: Daddys Junky Music

I like a bunch of music, I bought the acoustic because I really do enjoy acoustic pieces by a bunch of bands. I tried to play this guitar for a bunch of Beatles songs and it sounds really nice. It doesn't really buzz (it did at the store a bit, but it was because of the new strings, which stopped after a while). It has a full sound, but a bit more treble than bass, which is fine because too much bass, for me at least, makes it seem like the guitar is muted and bleh.

I play a bunch of music, really. I do play a lot of Beatles songs and this is a great match. Good highs and mids, pretty good lows too (but not too low). I've been playing for almost 10 months, and I own a Mexican Strat (yes, I am lucky with my equipment and I'm thankful for that, but I do try to earn it. I don't just go up to my parents and say "I need a new guitar"). If this was stolen, I'd be really sad cause I couldn't afford a new guitar for a while. But I would try to find it. "Can you help me find my stolen guitar?" posters everywhere. I love everything about it. I love the fact that I liked it more than the $1400 one. I also love that it's affordable and a good acoustic overall. Much better than my aunts Yamaha 420 that I've been playing (old guitar, was probably better a long time ago). My favorite feature is its finish and look. It's just so different yet still beautiful. It's nice. I compared it to the borrowed Yamaha 420 (forgot the rest of the model name, but it contains 420). I really like this guitar, and I recommend it strongly to beginners and intermediates but as always, try before you buy.

I never played live, nor do I think I ever will be good enough, but it probably would. It plays well, and you can bang on the strings all you want and it stays in tune well. I didn't try a strap on this yet, but the strap button seem solid enough to hold it up no problem. The finish seems a bit thin, but I'm not an expert in this. What I can say, however, is that even if it does wear off, it won't affect how it looks a lot anyway. It'll retain most of its color, since it's transparent black.

The action was alright. It wasn't tiny, but then again, what acoustic is? I don't really mind high action, it's just something you need to get used to. Everything was in tune, intonation was prett good, and it was overall good. Some idiot scratched the headstock when restringing it, I'm guessing, but its not really noticable. My dad noticed it when I was playing it. I didn't even see. About the finish, its amazing. It's really wonderful. I needed to take a seperate picture because all the ones online show a dark red-ish color. The paint is Transparent Black (Hence, TBK) and my color is a pretty dark green. For some reason, I've been comparing it to an old mossy forest. That's just some imagery to help you.

Before I found this guitar, I was sitting out trying out a bunch in a sound room. I looked at one up on a shelf (can't remember the manufacturer), started playing it (didn't like it much, no bottom end at all) and then looked at the tag and it was $1400. I picked up a few after that, they were average I guess. I picked this one up without looking at the tag and started playing it. I really liked it, it was nice, I decided that it won't be here in a few months, which is when I was planning to buy a new guitar, so I purchased it. Well, actually, I didn't know if I was going to spend all this money just now, but my dad convinced me and I'm happy he did. This means no birthday for me, even though I paid for it by myself (long story, but brother at college doesn't really work in a tight budget). This guitar was made in China. It has twenty frets on a very thin rosewood neck. It's very thin for acoustic, actually. I like it a lot, it's quick and easy to play. It's a basic acoustic guitar, nothing really special. Stays in tune pretty well, I'm guessing it might be the tuners, which are generic Alvarez tuners that just work really well I guess. The guitar came with Elixir strings, which was really nice. The body wood is thin, I guess, but it does help with its sound. It's not deadly thin where any bump = death. My dad was with me and we asked the guy if it came with a case, he said no but after an "oh," and a look of disappointment, he went to check. It did come with a case, its a really really nice case too. I'd expect to pay around 100 bucks for the case alone. This guitar originally cost 220, but the guy dropped it to 200!