RD8 review by Alvarez

Alvarez: RD8

Purchased from: e-bay

With good new strings on it I'd say that you could hardly tell a difference to a better Alvarez, Takamine, or Martin. On the low E A and D strings, you can't get that good of a sound if you go above about 12 frets, but you can sound a lot like a banjo if you play by the bridge. It gets pretty good harmonics too. The sound was a pleasent surprise like when your parents say that you can Live in their basement!

I this guitar I play anything from open chords while I'm singing, to Dueling Banjos, to acoustc hits like Swing Life Away and some Foo Fightrs stuff. I love pretty much everything and wouldn't change anything really. If it was stolen I'd either try to find another one in mint condition for half the price, or get a Martin or Takemine.

This guitar would definately gigable (that's really fun to say) without need of a backup (unless you try to do the swing around your head thing or smash it on the ground). It only had the strap button one the butox of the body buy I just put nail instead trying to put another button in it. I've bumped it a lot (like the time I was playing on the tiolet and dropped my pik down the tiolet) so it looks pretty banged up but it plays like a whistle.

The action was perfect, neck straight, bridge set up good, no complaints. The finish was really pretty too. I've banged it up a lot but it atill plays about perfect. No problems ever. The neck is amazing, my favorite part about it. It's silky smooth and really fast.

I got mine off of e-bay in April of 2006. It was new (I think) but the guy said that he had to advertise it as used cause he was a certified dealer or something. It was in almost perfect condition (just one little bump on the back of the headstock. It has a 20 fret very pretty rosewood neck. It's dot inlayes look somthing like peral but I'm not sure. The back and sides are mohagony, the top is spruce, and the finish is natural. It had chrome die-cast tuning knobs that stay in tune very well. After about 2 months of playing it always goes down a half step wich I fine cause I don't play with it in a band. It's a dreadnought with multiple body bindings (I honestly don't know what that means but dreadnought is sure fun to say).