Cedar review by Art & Lutherie

Art & Lutherie: Cedar

Price paid: C$ 429

Purchased from: Walter's Music London

I play Rush and the Beatles as well as kids songs and classical melodies and etudies. The sound overall is rich and woody. It is not bright and it is not boomy. I occasionally run it through my daughter's Traynor 10W or my friend's Vox, but normally I play unamplified.

I like everything about this guitar: sound, feel, look. My test piece was "The Sphere" by Rush. This is the only guitar that captured the complexities of that song. I thoroughly researched it and tried many many guitars in my price range before choosing this one. My preference was for Canadian made guitars when I was shopping around, but I also tested other guitars like Yamaha, Takamine, and Epiphone. I thought that I was going to buy a Norman or a Simon & Patrick before I found this beauty. I would definitely buy it again if it were lost or stolen.

I have no experience playing Live, so I cannot really comment here. I only play alone or jam with friends and family. There is only one strap button. It is on the rear. It doubles as a jack for the electronics. Presumably this makes for a stronger button than a standard screw-in type. I wish that it had a button at the base of the neck.

The guitar was perfectly set up from the factory. I did not have to make any adjustments to the action, the saddle, or the nut. There is no string buzz. The hardware was all perfect for the price that I paid. Barre chords are easy to play, even at the 12th fret.

2008 Canadian made 21 fret with a solid Cedar top. The body is made of Wild Cherry and the neck from Silver Leaf Maple. All Canadian wood from naturally fallen trees - no cut trees! The fingerboard is Indian Rosewood. The finish is a semi-gloss hand varnish over a gorgeous tobacco stain. It features Godin electronics with volume, bass, and treble controls and an onboard tuner. It comes with Godin strings - now my favourite Acoustic guitar string!

GuitarPetey
    Second reviewer (ghettoFOBulous): you need to learn how to adjust your guitar correctly or take it to someone who does. I have owned two Godin guitars, one an Art & Lutherie and the construction on both is impeccable. The Art & Lutherie in particular was very easy to adjust for an exceptionally low action with little to no fret buzz.
    shanehen
    I have the spruce burgundy and the cedar ami. Love them both to death. I have to agree with the last comment. The reviewer who gave the 5.2 review was rather ridiculous. He clearly does not know how to set up a guitar and further wants this guitar to be something other than what it is. It's like saying a Porsche is a 5.2 because it is not the same as BMW.