Cedar CW Review

manufacturer: Art & Lutherie date: 04/17/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Art & Lutherie: Cedar CW
Not only is this a great sounding acoustic guitar, it's electrified! Simply the best performing acoustic electric guitar in this price range by far. The solid cedar top works exceptionally well with the under-saddle transducer, oriducing warm rich tones.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 20,074
reviews (4) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Cedar CW Reviewed by: maddrumer, on april 09, 2007

Purchased from: The Music Factory

Features: This is a 2006 guitar. Made in Canada. It has 21 frets, solid top of Cedar, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. Mine is a cutaway with an atique burst finish. Electronics are Godin EMP Quantum and have volume bass and treble adjustments. Comes with a hard case with beautiful shag carpet interior. It is almost worth as much as the guitar is. // 9

Sound: The sound is beautiful acoustically, through my friends PA system is is excellent. The sound between the acousic guitar and the amplified guitar blend perfectly to create an above average sounding guitar. The pickup inside sounds niether tinney nor brassy, but is one of the few that can truely convey the actual sound of the guitar (especially for the price). It cover any kind of music you would want, especially once you start playing with the tone controls. I have a three hour set that I play every week at a local coffee shop which spans everything from country rock to songs like an acoustic version of Basket Case by Green Day, and even gospel. I have a rich singing voice and it compliments well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how this guitar came from the factory, but Godin does a superb job on all of their guitars, so it was probably decent. The guy at the shop had messed around with it a little, and it was nice and low, but no buzz so it was good. There were no flaws in mine. I Live in norther Michigan, so a Canadian built guitar is perfect for up here in hickvill. There was a small scratch on the back, as if some moron had played with their coat on. Cedar is a very soft wood and will scratch, so if you have a friend Who plays heavy and you let him play it, you'll hate them later, fortunatly, I knew this going in, so I am the only one Who has played it. Like I said Godin does an excellent job, so there were no problems. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Like I said I play a three hour set every week, and it has help up good for three weeks, but that isnt a very long time, so I don't know how long it will last. It seems like a very solid guitar and will definetly outlast my previous guitar. I do use it without a backup, no problems so far. The finish will wear off eventually, but that is a part of playing guitar. I give it an eight for now lack of expirience on it, but it is probably even better // 8

Overall Impression: Good guitar, especially for the price. I absolutely love the whole line of godins. They do an excellent job of produceing high quality guitars for low coast I have been playing for I don't know how long because I don't want to count, and this guitar is the best I have played in a long time. While shopping around I played a Gibson EC 10, and there was no comparison. Go Art & Lutherie for your next guitar. They are cheap economical, and well built. they sound as good as any Gibson I've played, and play better than most. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably cry for a week, then buy a new one. One thing I don't like about it is how easy it scratches, but that gives a guitar character. // 9

Cedar CW Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 07, 2007

Purchased from: Steves Music Toronto

Features: My guitar was made in 2007 (I'm assuming). It was made in a small town in Quebec, Canada in the same factory that they make Seagull guitars. The top is a solid piece of Cedar. At the store, I was told that the reason that the A&L's had solid Cedar tops is because they come from woods that werent quite good enough for Seagull and the other brands that Godin owns. For the price, I can't complain about this at all. It's still quite a steal. The sides and back of the guitar are laminated cherry wood. The neck is made of silver leaf maple, which is quite smiilar to mahogany. The body style is a dreadnought. the bridge style is your standard acoustic bridge. The Godin Q1 electronics in this thing are very good for the price you pay. It only has volume, bass, and treble, but it should be more than enough for the beginner or even intermediate player. I also got a cutaway for looks. The tuning heads don't have a brand, but they really keep the guitar in tune. I almost never have to tune it. They seem quite solid and will probably last me a while. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style just fine. I mainly use it to play for church, but I'm more than sure that this guitar is very adaptable for all music styles. My music teacher at school picked it up and played finger style with it, and it sounded amazing. I get a fretbuzz on the low E string because of the low action, and still need to get that fixed. Otherwise, the guitar sounds amazing for what you pay. The sound is very bright, but has a very present bass that isnt "boomy." the sound is clear and crisp. just how a guitar should sound. I compared my guitar to a Takamine, Ovation, and Yamaha. There was no comparison. My guitar definitely sounded the best. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is a bit too low, and is giving me fret buzz. It's been about a month since I've got it and still need to get it fixed. The pickups work quite well. The only problem I can see is the finish on the guitar. It's got a matte finish, which means that if I lefy my guitar outside on a windy day, it could probably carve it's name on the top of my guitar. Heck, does it ever scratch easily. I've already for like, 4 scratches in it. Other than the finish, I see no problems. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would be just fine for Live playing. I've already done it a few times. The guitar seems like it'll last for the good 6 or so years I plan to have it before I buy a new guitar (which will probably be a Seagull). My guitar only came with 1 strap button, but the music store I went to installed one on the top for me. it was a simple $1 and 10min job. I can certainly depend on it. If I couldnt get a backup for this guitar at a gig, I would still use it. it's always a better idea to have a backup in case a string snaps, because you never know what will happen. Well, there's not much of a finish to begin with. but that doesn't really concern me. scratches give a guitar character. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar matches my church music style very much. I've been playing for about half a year, but I have a musical background with piano, clarinet, drums (which is my main instrument), and bass, so picking up the guitar was a breeze for me. I also own a Tama RoyalStar drumset(not that that really has to do with guitars, but the question in the reviews is asking me for instruments), an ESP LTD B-55 bass, and some clarinet made by Amati. If this guitar were to be stolen, I would probably huddle in a corner and cry for a week, then go out and either buy another A&L Cedar CW, A&L Folk Cedar CW, or possibly (if I had the money), a Seagull S6 of some sort, probably a guitar made by Godin (Simon & Patrick, Norman, etc). What I love most about this guitar is the sound I hear when I'm sitting behind it, strumming away. It's looks are quite plain, but still beautiful. It's got a simple inlay(that actually protrudes, so I guess it's an outlay), and has a "sunrise" colour, which looks amazing. There is basically nothing at all, that I hate about this guitar. the only thing I dislike is how hard it is to change the highest strings, but that's a common problem. When I was buying guitars, the only brands I really considered were A&L, Seagull, and Ovation. I had to cross Seagull off my list because it costed a lot more than I could afford. I also took off Ovation because it just wasn't comfortable to play while sitting down. The sound was good, but it sounded a bit one dimensional and flat, whereas the A&L has this percise, bright, but bass-present sound that just makes you want to play the same chord over and over again. // 10

Cedar CW Reviewed by: xoxbradxox, on march 27, 2008

Purchased from: Steve's Music Ottawa

Features: As with all Art & Lutherie the Cedar CW is hand crafted in Canada. The back & sides are of Wild Cherry, the top is Cedar, the neck is made of Siler Leaf Maple and the fingerboard is made of Rosewood. The strings are set nice and low and The frets and thickness of the neck are of a comfortable sise. The body of the CW is not too wide to make it uncomfortable to play but not too small to diminish the ability to throw sound. however there is only one strap button so if you're like me and are not comfortable with attaching the strap to the head you may have to add one yourself. The CW features a cutaway and comes in a Semi-Gloss Varnish or a Non-Glossy finish both of which are pleasing to the eye. The Art & Lutherie signature as well as the design on the head of the CW are well printed and add a tastefull finish. // 9

Sound: The Cedar CW has a full, rich and somwhat dark tone. It's suprisingly loud and clear as crystal. It's a well rounded guitar suitable for a variety of music and playing styles. The sound is realy unlike that of anything within the same price range. The tone is fairly deep so people searching for a light cheary sound might want to avoid this modle while those Who want deep rich tone and encredable presance will be in hevan with the CW. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The body on the CW is solid and well crafted of quality woods. the neck is attached properly to the body and there's not a single flaw in the craftmanship. On the one which I baught you can see where there was a knot in the wood used on the guitar. Some people may think of this as horrible but I specificly chose that one as I see the knot as making the overall appearence more distinguishable. I assure you the knots are not common from what I have seen. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The CW is a sturdy Guitar to say the least, yet it is of a decent weight as to not become a total burden to hold up and play. I play mine often and have taken it many places and I have not had a single problem with anything yet. The finish is durable and quite resistant to scratches. // 10

Overall Impression: The CW is by far the nicest acoustic guitar I have ever played and would be an ecellent choice of guitar considering its playability and supurb craftsmanship. It's was worth every single penny I payed for it. I compaired it to my dad's Yamaha which I's nearly doubble the price and the CW plays louder and is much lighter to hold up. The only thing I wish the CW came with is a second strap button but that problem is small and easily fixed. Overall the CW is a supurb piece of work. // 9

Cedar CW Reviewed by: IbanezDudeCK, on april 17, 2012

Features: Mine has the thin, beautiful semigloss antique burst finish and was made in 2009. Solid Cedar top, cherry back and sides, and a silver leaf maple neck. The bracing is neatly tucked under the kerfing and no chunks of kerfing are missing which is nice on a low price acoustic. Its the standard dreadnaught cutaway with a plain Martin style headstock. I believe the saddle and nut are Tusq brand if I remember right. The inlays stop at the 12th fret and not all the side ones are there but that just adds to the rustic appeal. Tuners are plain and don't have a stabilizing screw that goes into the headstock but are still very good. The Godin 2 band EQ and piezo pickup work very well as does the tuner. The newer ones have nice ramped string holes on the bridges which are extremely rare in this price range but a feature that every guitar should have. Nothing special or exotic, but everything it does have does an excellent job for the price. You will need to install a strap pin. // 9

Sound: These guitars sound great. For the price, the only ones that came close (other than the Seagulls that are essentially the same guitar) were the sycamore top Ibanez, but the electronics are much better on the A&L. I used to play with a guy that has played professionally for over 20 yrs and uses Alvarez Yairi's, etc. He said that (plugged in) it sounded comparable to a lot of $1000 guitars from Martin, etc. The original Godin strings sound excellent but I usually use 80/20 bronze for a bit brighter sound. It has a well balanced sound unplugged and sounds great plugged in. I play fingerstyle as well as praise and worship and it just needs 80/20s to get that little bit of extra shimmer on the highs. For the price, I'd give it a 10, but on an overall spectrum I give it an 8. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up is really good compared to most. Like I said, the new ones do have ramped string holes, but I had to do the ramping on mine. The saddle on mine wasn't notched (most non-custom shop guitars aren't notched though), and the grooves on the nut are a little deep on the higher strings (ideally they'd be a little more than 1/2 the string thickness deep, but again that's only found on custom shop guitars these days). Aside from those nit-picky details, it is a great factory set up. The frets are great, intonation and playability is great, I love the feel of the neck, and there were no visible flaws. The kerfing and bracing was well done, no glue oozing out anywhere, a very cleanly done bridge plate that isn't the size of Texas, and, overall, a really clean 'interior' not found on most guitar of equal price. Much better built than the $350 Ovation I own that has a 3 piece top with one piece looking like it was burnt with a torch on the inside, a difficult to adjust truss rod, and a terribly unlevel finish. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This question is difficult to answer. This is my main guitar and it has been used lived every weekend for the past three years in addition to other events and NEVER take a backup guitar. The only time it fails is when the battery runs out after about a year. I live in a very shifting climate that can get very dry and until recently I left it un-humidified. I just had a crack running along the side of the neck repaired and the treble side of the bridge is starting to lift up, but this is probably mostly due to my neglect for mother nature. For how much it has been used (and the fact that it was dropped on the headstock onto a hardwood floor), I'd say that it has held up well. It has endured extreme climate changes, transport in and out of -30 degree weather, heavy playing, and several collisions with music stands fairly well if you ask me. I believe that if you treat it right, it will last. // 8

Overall Impression: I am definitely a fan of Godin acoustics. This guitar is much better built, better sounding, better looking, and better playing than most in the price range. I tried everything in reach from Ibanez to Takamine to Washburn when I bought this guitar and I firmly believe that it is the best guitar for the price. When or if it becomes unreasonable to play or repair, I will probably buy another A&L or Seagull maybe with a Spruce top this time. The only other brands I've considered since the are Breedlove and Taylor, but the cost a fair amount more as well. I strongly recommend looking into Seagull and A&L before you make a decision because they really make a guitar the right way in Canada, not the cheap way or the flashy way. For the price, it'd be a 10, but overall, I think an 8 is fair for this $450 guitar that can give your friend's $1000 Martins, Fenders, and Takamines a run for their money. // 8

Comments