Folk Cedar review by Art & Lutherie

Art & Lutherie: Folk Cedar

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I guess it suits my style, what is a punk rock acoustic style anyway? I don't think it matters, every band plays something different. It does have a much brighter sound than other guitars I have played, like my friends Yamaha, man that one sounds like crap, and I'm very happy with the bright sound it creates.

This suits probably any style of music, I don't finger pick or anything so who knows if it's good for that, but anything with a pick it sounds great for. I really wish I had of bought one with a full size body, but no point complaining about it now. Like I said I've played it compared to a Yamaha and a Seagull guitar and they both sound terrible next to it, so I am very pleased with that, I also kind of like the flat finish as compared to a very glossy finish. The only thing I wish it had was the onboard electronics but I've been doing fine without them so far.

This thing has held up very well, to be honest I'm not very gentle with it and I drop it and carry it without a case all the time and it hasn't broken yet, thank god for that. Nothing has come loose or broken off, the tuners are still smooth and the sound is still good. there's not much finish left to see anymore, most of it is covered up with writing and stickers and all that good stuff, but the finish did look very durable.

The action is very high from the factory, something I hate, the action did lower itself when I put on lighter strings but it is still very high, I will need to get that changed. The frets were very smooth and nice on the fingers and the guitar looks to be manufactured very well, I has no flaws and the only damage to it was what I've done to it smacking it into walls and what not.

This guitar was made in Canada but I don't know when. It is a smaller body than regular acoustics, something I didn't realize when I bought it but it's got a mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard with 21 medium frets and no cutout. I don't know what the body is made of but it's a very light wood with a non glossy clear finish. It doesn't have any onboard electronics, something I wish it had but I can always add later. It has very nice tuners and are smooth and stay in tune very well and have a nice chrome finish. It didn't come with any accessories at all, a gig bag would have been nice and I had to install a second strap button on the neck tennon.