Wild Cherry review by Art & Lutherie

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat

Purchased from: Bought Used

It goes alright with my style (acoustic, singer/songwriter, emo), I use a Dean markely external pick up with it, but it's not particularly great as the E, A, and D strings are too far away from the pick up. The sound is alright, not as good as a dreadnought or other guitars I've played. The main problem is the bass notes as they're sometimes barely audible making it difficult for bass hooks. It gives a relatively good sound, but maybe not for Very seasoned guitar players. But if you like it enough I suggest that you install an active pickup, it hasn't caused me problems since.

This guitar works for alotta good music styles but nothing bass oriented, e.g. finger picking. I've been playing for about 4 years, and I own an Ibanez, Ovation, Yamaha and Framus. It's alright but not the greatest guitar. If it was stolen or lost (and I didn't install the pick up), I probably wouldn't buy it again. I do love it's versatility when I started off but the weak bass note is really a blemish on it. I chose this guitar for it's cutaway, simplicity and mostly the price.

This guitar has been to a couple of gigs with me but doesn't stand too well. The hardware will last a while if you treat it well, but don't count on it too much. The finish has lasted the time so I'm hoping it will last the while. The thing is pretty light but surprising resistant, I've dropped it on pavement in a soft case before and no scratches. the strap buttons are still great, but I wouldn't use it for a gig unless you get an active pickup (which I did). But don't count on this guitar for a backup, it's alright as something of a second guitar, but not the main one.

The action on this guitar is alright, not too bad. Everything on it is pretty even and fine, I've had it for 3 years and didn't need to set it up once. The fit is pretty good, you're mostly paying for the cutaway though. The finish is a natural cherry maple, looks alright.

The guitar was made in 98' in Canada, with 20 frets, Canadian cherry maple body and neck. It has chrome tuners, a peg bridge, bone nut and a cutaway acoustic shape.