Wild Cherry Review

manufacturer: Art & Lutherie date: 06/26/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
6 Strings. Canadian-made, natural-finish, six-string acoustic. Really pleasant deep tone. Not as twangy as other acoustics in this price range.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 21,172
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Wild Cherry Reviewed by: daevyne, on february 03, 2004

Purchased from: Bought Used

Features: The guitar was made in 98' in Canada, with 20 frets, Canadian cherry maple body and neck. It has chrome tuners, a peg bridge, bone nut and a cutaway acoustic shape. // 8

Sound: It goes alright with my style (acoustic, singer/songwriter, emo), I use a Dean markely external pick up with it, but it's not particularly great as the E, A, and D strings are too far away from the pick up. The sound is alright, not as good as a dreadnought or other guitars I've played. The main problem is the bass notes as they're sometimes barely audible making it difficult for bass hooks. It gives a relatively good sound, but maybe not for Very seasoned guitar players. But if you like it enough I suggest that you install an active pickup, it hasn't caused me problems since. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is alright, not too bad. Everything on it is pretty even and fine, I've had it for 3 years and didn't need to set it up once. The fit is pretty good, you're mostly paying for the cutaway though. The finish is a natural cherry maple, looks alright. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been to a couple of gigs with me but doesn't stand too well. The hardware will last a while if you treat it well, but don't count on it too much. The finish has lasted the time so I'm hoping it will last the while. The thing is pretty light but surprising resistant, I've dropped it on pavement in a soft case before and no scratches. the strap buttons are still great, but I wouldn't use it for a gig unless you get an active pickup (which I did). But don't count on this guitar for a backup, it's alright as something of a second guitar, but not the main one. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar works for alotta good music styles but nothing bass oriented, e.g. finger picking. I've been playing for about 4 years, and I own an Ibanez, Ovation, Yamaha and Framus. It's alright but not the greatest guitar. If it was stolen or lost (and I didn't install the pick up), I probably wouldn't buy it again. I do love it's versatility when I started off but the weak bass note is really a blemish on it. I chose this guitar for it's cutaway, simplicity and mostly the price. // 8

Wild Cherry Reviewed by: James TH, on november 09, 2006

Purchased from: Mountain music

Features: I don't know much to say about this baby, beautiful Orange mango finish, cherry wood fret board, nicely wound strings that have not a single tinge to the note played. The cut-away alows for some nice little solo playing on it's nice 21 fret neck, easy to slide, and indeed does sound great with a slide as well, a must get for a well priced Brand New guitar made exclusively by hand here in good old Canada. As the story goes, these guitars are made on a tree farm to be exact so the trees that they use are indeed the ones that they use to make their hand made acoustic guitars. // 10

Sound: there's not much to be said, it's an amazing acoustic guitar that really does well in the limelight, never lets you down, never eats at your fingers, and sounds great, although there was a sound change when left out over time and not played. My aunt has one as well and she doesnt't play often but when I played it, some of the strings didn't work, I was perplexed. A month or so later I came back (and it hadnt been touched that whole month) and I picked it up and it played fine wiht the same great sound that it always had. My only conclusion that I could come to was that there was enough moisture in the air (they live in the country with no screen windows) and the house was big enough (huge to be exact) that the cured wood on the guitar actually expanded disallowing the strings from vibrating properly. other than this story it's a classic acoustic that sounds great playing along to Zep's II or Opeth's Damnation, it's just so well rounded. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Hand made and made well and definetly up to standards, you would think that you are almost stealing it at the price that I got it for, and true piece of art whether it sits in your room on a stand untouched or you are hooked and can't stop playing it. Rarely needs a tune up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, as I said is simple, put together on a cherry farm, does what it needs to do, plays well everynight, I use it live and on recordings and it's easy to play and the sound and way that it stays in intact is great. The strap that I have on it now has been on since day one and it still stays on, doesnt't move when I stand up and always feels solid in your hands, just a great guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything, the stones, Iron Maiden, Trivium, Coldplay, Coheed And Cambria, Protest The Hero, Incubus, Opeth ect ect I play it all and it fits all types of playing, it never fails. The sound is so pure that it never sounds refined. I love this guitar, tryed a Fender acoustic before I bought this one, but this one just played so well that I couldnt put it down there was a connection. I'm not the type of player that relys on a guitar to make the play but the player to make the guitar, I have a black Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I use as my starter..I have a Squier Strat, my ART and luthrie acoustic cut away of course, and a little beat up jay jr. that served me well at the time when acoustic guitar to me was a shit way to play. I run all that through my Marshall 50w and a little Peavey for carrying around. I have a Zoom 500 II effects pedal, and use some good old ernie ball strings. If it were stole I would go out and buy a new one for sure, I can't Live without it. I wish that it was the same feel but had a plug in feature so that I could play through an amp, that would be great, but hey it's a great guitar, the best acoustic guitar make no matter which model you choose to get, A&L is the way to go! // 10

Wild Cherry Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2006

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: Best Laminate top guitar I have ever played also better than alot of cheaper solid top Guitars out there. The body is made of Wild Cherry and the neck is maple. The tuners are great, it has a active piezo style pickup which is okay, nothing fabulous but it sounds alright. // 8

Sound: Suits my style great, I play everything I can with this guitar and I love it. There are better guitars out there but I haven't found one for this price. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The bridge was a little high from the factory, although it still played silky smooth right up too the higher frets, nothing a few minutes and a little sand paper to the bottom of the bridge can't improve thought. The guitar has a wider neck and string spacing than most other guitars I have played, which suprizingly helped me to play faster. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing for a long time, it's a laminate top so it's tough. The hardware is good. I am not a huge fan of the rear strap button/output jack combo but it works and remains solid. I had to install a front strap button on the heel of the neck which was easy to do, very solid and well balanced. I would still recommend a backup guitar strings do break. // 9

Overall Impression: Mostly I play Christian rock, but I also play rock, emo, classic rock and some heavier stuff. Before I bought this guitar I would have liked to know a little more about pick-ups. For a piezo style pickup it sounds good but I would prefer if it had a mic as well. If it were lost or stolen I might buy another one, but I would probably buy a Seagull because they are nearly identicle, but they have a solid top and better electronics. But still I Love my Art & Lutherie and don't feel I could get a better guitar for the price. // 9

Wild Cherry Reviewed by: BB6, on june 26, 2007

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This was my first acoustic guitar, bought from a friend Who had it in his garage. Like all ART and Lutherie's the 21 fret guitar it was made in Canada. It has a two piece back that has a nice, warm sound. It has a very thin neck, which serves very well for fast playing. Surprisingly, the the thin neck doesn't lead to any durability issues. I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but I'm going to guess around 10 years or so. The bridge was a little high when I got it, and it was also beginning to come unglued, undoubtedly from the years in my friend's garage. It doesn't have a second strap button, but one of those can be added to the heel fairly easily. // 8

Sound: I use mostly John Pearse strings, which complement the guitar very well. Barring can be somewhat difficult. There is next to no fret buzz, and it plays beautifully all the way up the fret board until about the twelfth fret, trying to play above there is next to hopeless. It has great resonating lows, the highs are nice at first but begin to become more dull as the stings begin to wear. I play mostly '70s and '80s rock, and the guitar is very versatile, it can play almost anything I throw it's way. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It has a nice action to it, but nothing spectacular, which is to be expected of a guitar in this price range. I have only had to have it set up once, which was a year ago, and it still plays as nice today as it did then. Since I bought it used, I can't comment on how it was set up from the factory. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar stands up beautifully for Live playing, I would use it without a backup. I am a fairly clumsy person and this guitar's durability amazes me. I can stand even a major bump without so much as a scratch. The joints are very tight, Mine sat in a friends garage for a few years, but still came out ready to play. Almost every string stays in tune very well, except the bottom E string, which likes to go flat. The finish is beautiful, and has stood up marvelously throughout the years. I have had no real problems with it since the initial tune up due to the harsh garage conditions. // 10

Overall Impression: As a starting guitar, it is amazing, and for the price it can't be beat. Due to it's very high durability, it would serve quite well as a beater guitar meant for camping trips or days at the beach. It plays just as well or better than guitars that are much more expensive. If you play more you might want to upgrade to a Martin or a Dean. This guitar has no real problems, and is perfect for what I need. I would recommend it to anyone Who is learning to play or just wants a nice, inexpensive, durable guitar. // 9

Comments