Wild Cherry 12-String Review

manufacturer: Art & Lutherie date: 02/13/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars
Art & Lutherie: Wild Cherry 12-String
This guitar was made in 2005 with Canadian cherry wood. A very beautiful sounding and looking guitar. If you are looking for a 12-string, this is a good place to begin.
 9.2
 8.4
 2,948
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Wild Cherry 12-String Reviewed by: mkittell, on february 13, 2012

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Sherwood Music, kitchener

Features: This guitar was made in 2005 with Canadian cherry wood. It has nut cutaway which makes it difficult to reach the higher frets but considering it is a 12-string that is not much of a downfall. The pickup is an under-the-saddle type and there are Godin controls on the side of the body for volume, bass and treble. The Cherry wood makes for a beautiful looking guitar - it has a satin finish. // 9

Sound: When I pick up this guitar I immediately change my playing style - because it is a 12-string acoustic. It is a totally different animal from a 12-string electric and especially a 6-string electric. The neck is much wider, which means I switch from using my index finger to bar chords to using my thumb on the low E string (I have small hands and even this can be a stretch). I usually don't plug it in, but I have played it through a Fender Acoustic amp and the sound was incredible. Bassy and rich yet Bright and glassy. One thing I have found is that the older the guitar gets, the better it sounds (not sure how to explain this, maybe someone can help). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came very well set-up and I did not have to change anything about it. As I said the pick-up sits under the saddle so there is no need for adjustment. There were no flaws from the factory. One thing to note is that I name the guitar "Pokeroo" because the wood grain on the back panel looks exactly like pokeroo. Odd, but amusing and worthy of the name. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The satin finish on this guitar has worn with use - especially on the neck around the first 5 frets (where my thumb usually sits). The hardware has help up just fine except for the input jack (which also acts as the rear strap holder. It routinely loosens itself and works its way out and the only way to tighten it back up is to remove the strings and reach all the way into the guitar (thank god for skinny arms). It also is hard on the solder points when the input jack is constantly moving around like that. Also, with age the guitar has begun to lose its tune when it sits for a long period of time. This can be avoided by removing the strings to store it - which I have never done and am now paying for. I give it a 6 because it has worn easily and the input jack is troublesome however, I could have taken better care of this guitar and I'm sure it would have held up better. // 6

Overall Impression: A very beautiful sounding and looking guitar. If you are looking for a 12-string, this is a good place to begin. Canadian made with Canadian wood is also a perk for a Canadian like me. I love this guitar and if it were ever stolen I would replace it for sure. For the price I paid, it has definitely served me well. // 9

Comments