CG44 Starter Pack review by Ashton

Ashton: CG44 Starter Pack

Purchased from: Coastal Music

Since it is a classical, it's no hot shot sound but it does the job anyway. My friend had another classical guitar a Valencia, it had a deeper sound than this one but I have only had this guitar for nearly a year so the wood hasn't aged too much. It suits my musical style well enough. The guitar has a bright mellow sound and the strings resonate nicely making it suitable for chords or classic finger picking style. When I tuned it down which is weird for a classical guitar it lost it's sound a bit though it had a nicer deep tone and anywhere below drop D it loses its flavour so best to keep it in standard tuning or open tunings.

I mainly play rock music and of course that is mostly for electric guitar but I still play anything on this guitar no matter how unsuited it sounds. I do prefer an electric guitar but this is a handy backup when needed. I reckon it is better to start off on an acoustic or classical instrument first as the ego doesn't set in with all the wannabe guitarists as much. If this guitar was stolen (possibly how could you lose a guitar). I would be upset though to replace it I would probably get a Takamine or Ibanez acoustic. All round it is a good beginner's guitar and that's what I love about it since it is easy to play. I have only played a few other classical guitars, but this one is the best I have played. Overall I recommend this model to someone who is looking for an affordable yet quality classical guitar. It should be everything that someone needs to start off before getting into the sophisticated world of electric guitar and all their awesome effects.

I have had this guitar for nearly a year and also own an electric, an SG. It has been fairly durable and the only slight damage has been from me bumping the headstock on my wardrobe which chipped a little bit of the finish. The strap button is yet to fail. I mostly play at home or with friends and havent gigged or played shows yet (us fellas might start a band). It is a dependable guitar and being of an acoustic nature can be played anywhere anytime.

For it's price (AUD$99) this guitar is pretty damn good. Nothing is really shotty about it. The finish hasn't faded, the intonation is nearly perfect and it stays in tune, though like most guitars it takes time to adjust to new strings. The strap button is screwed into the body but is reliable. Also ideal action, and the nylon strings complement the overall feel. The only one flaw I can see is that the machine heads have slighlty rusted but that is no big deal really. Besides that inside the body seems to be satisfactory. The bracing looks fairly firm and is durable but that doesn't mean test it out and drop the guitar form your roof or something.

This guitar is an Ashton CG-44 with a glossy spruce top in orange, has a rosewood fingerboard with 19 or so frets, 1 strap button on bottom, gold 'butterfly' machine heads and a Catalpa neck. It has the classic guitar shape of course. The neck is fairly fat due to it being a classical guitar though the action is good. This makes it a good beginner's guitar to learn on before going out and buying your dream guitar. I don't know what year it was made but it came as a starter pack in a soft case with a spare set of Ashton nylon strings, a few picks and a Tutorial CD. Though I reckon the CD is pretty shithouse.