Identity Acute Review

manufacturer: Babicz date: 08/24/2010 category: Acoustic Guitars
Babicz: Identity Acute
This is a 2010 Babicz Indentity series Acute model. It has a solid spruce with solid rosewood back and sides with a 20 fret neck and florentine cutaway.
 9.1
 9.8
 8.3
 1,803
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Identity Acute Reviewed by: bazza92, on august 24, 2010

Price paid: A$ 999

Purchased from: Harrison Music Adelaide

Features: This is a 2010 Babicz Indentity series Acute model (ID-FSACRW-06E). It has a solid spruce with solid rosewood back and sides with a 20 fret neck and florentine cutaway. I can only assume that this guitar is made in America as the company is American (I have heard many stories from different people so unfortunately I cannot give an accurate location). It uses grover sealed tuners (black), has a two way truss rod and NuBone nut and compensated saddle. It also came in a hard shell csse with soft figure of 8 handle, which makes holding/carrying easier. The most unique features of this guitar are the adjustable neck and bridge as well as the unique string layout. Both the neck and bridge (torque reducing split bridge) are movable by using the provided allan key. By turning the key in the correct slots you are able to adjust the height of both the neck and bridge making this one of the easiest guitars to set up. The strings do not go directly into the bridge as most guitars do but rather they pass through the bridge and move out to their own individual braces. This seperate bracing set-up allow the soundboard to hold much more sound and increases the sustain of notes played greatly. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar is easily one of the best sounds I have had the pleasure of hearing. Due to the solid top, back and sides the Babicz is able to belt out great volume and the inovative string layout means the sustain has long-life. The Acute has a nice deep bass to it as well as sparkling treble. I play various acoutic music, from Pete Murray, Jack Johnson, The John Butler Trio to older stuff like Fleetwood Mac and Eric Clapton. This guitar handles all styles incredibly well and has not let me down thus far. I also play a lot of fingerpicking and the acute can cope with that too. The pick-up system on this guitar has to be the best feature as far as sound is concerned though. It has a L.R Baggs iMix onboard active EQ which enables the guitarist to switch between either piezo or internal microphone. By placing the settings in the middle you are able to get the best of both the piezo and microphone, creating a beautiful blend of sound. I play it through a Laney 35w Acoustic foldback with twin 8" speakers and it sounds incredible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As the action is completely customizable through the adjustable neck and bridge, the action settings are really in the hands of the guitarist. Even so, out of the case this guitar was already set up to go. After giving it an extremely scrutinizing check up (I thought it was too good to be true) I came across no flaws or imperfections and was off playing straight away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was BUILT for live shows. As I've said, the sound produced (through both the natural acoustics and L.R Baggs EQ) will be more than enough to blow away an audience at a gig. Its also sturdy enough so that it will withstand a battering from roadies and those long trips on the road! I see no reason why you would need a different guitar on stage as this guitar is able to withstand being your solo instrument. All the hardware on the guitar is solid and built to last. The finish seems substantial (though the guitar is oddly very light still) and I doubt it will wear easily, though I guess only time will tell. // 10

Overall Impression: I hope people do not read this and think that I am giving this guitar a ten just because I like it. No, I give it a ten because I can honestly say this guitar is the best in every aspect. I have not played a Martin, Taylor, Cole Clark or Maton that could match this guitar and I can tell you I've played more than a few! Ok admittedly the look of the guitar is bound to put some people off. However I still like the look and many people have thought the same despite it's bizzare appearance. This guitar was valued at $1,995 but the store I purchased it from has them at ridiculously low prices ($999) so I knew I'd be stupid NOT to get one. If this guitar was stolen there is no doubt in my mind that I would be heading off to the music store again to buy another one that same day. I have been playing or 8 years now and know that I will never come across such a wonderful instrument again. I'm thinking of selling my old guitars as they will just collect dust next to my Babicz. There is nothing else that this guitar can offer and I strongly encourage those who want a serious guitar for performing, to go out and have a play on one of these. Thanks for reading! // 10

Comments