AD20/SR Plus review by Breedlove

Breedlove: AD20/SR Plus

Purchased from: GuitarSource

I define my style as "psychedelic country gospel." This suit's the style very well. I am currently using it with a Zoom A2 multi-FX pedal and a Peavey Escort 2000 PA system. The sound of this guitar is very full and rich. When I played it at the store it only took five minutes to realize that this is the sound I've been looking for over the past 35 years, since an acquaintance in high school let me play his '69 Martin D-35 for a few minutes. This has the sound Neil Young displayed on the song "Heart of Gold."

As I said, I describe my style as "psychedelic country gospel" and I believe this is a match made in heaven. The bass/boom of the rosewood helps to offset my tenor voice. If this were lost or stolen I would hunt the thief down and beat him within an inch of his life. Since this model appears to have been discontinued by Breedlove it is irreplaceable to me. I love the sound. When shopping I was comparing it to Taylor, Alvarez, and Martin guitars in the same price range. This was the best sounding guitar hands down. To get this sound from a Martin or Taylor I'd have had to pay three times as much. The only thing it lacks is the fact that Breedlove no longer makes this model.

I have some acquaintances who play Breedloves who play Live every week. I don't play that much so I believe it should hold up. (It is less tempermental than Taylor guitars. I Live in the midwest and friends Who own Taylors always seem to have them in the shop for neck adjustments every time it rains.)

I found no flaws in the construction. No loose or poorly filed frets. No gaps in the joints. No sloppy glue joints. The top is bookmatched --right down to the symmetrical bear claw pattern in the grain at each end of the bridge. The nut and saddle are made from tusq and they beat the less expensive bridges and nuts made from micarta. Breedlove stresses quality control and it shows in this guitar.

I'm not sure what year this was made. S/N seems to indicate it was made in 2006 or 2007. Made in Korea as part of Atlas series. It has 20 frets (14 clear of body). Solid sitka spruce top, solid rosewood back, laminate rosewood sides, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard/bridge. The bridge is pinless (like Ovation). It has a gloss finish on the body and a satin finish on the neck. This is a non-cutaway dreadnaught style. No built-in electronics although I have recently added a Fishman Matrix Infinity under-saddle pickup and pre-amp system. This model also includes Breedlove's proprietary bridge truss system that gives added stability to the top and (they claim) increased sustain. The price included a hardshell case which is very heavy-duty.

kurtebirdi
    GuitarPlayer716 wrote: Seems like a nice guitar, though I can't condone paying $700 for a guitar that has no electronics. Granted I'm not much of an acoustic player
    acoustics don't rely on electronics for how good they sound. So you would pay more for a guitar that has no electronics because wood quality and craftsmanship are the main focus, rather than what pots pups wiring quality and whatever.
    doritofreak93
    I got a new AC25 for $480, probably the best deal a man could ask for they usually run for $900 or so. Came with the Fishman electronics. Wonderful guitar. Breedloves are quite nice.
    GuitarPlayer716
    athlete1
    i would put on a less plain pick gaurd, but it looks good and i like breedlove's
    againsteternity
    Seems like a very nice guitar I'm guessing they put all 9's so they don't get flamed for putting a perfect 10, because the only complaint I read was the last sentence.
    jsurf06
    i played this the other day it is an amazing guitar for the price. i bought a maton a couple years ago if i had to buy another acoustic it'd definitely be a breedlove, most likely this model
    wafl
    If this were lost or stolen I would hunt the thief down and beat him within an inch of his life. thats the best if lost or stolen ive ever heard