Legacy Performer Review

manufacturer: Composite Acoustics date: 06/26/2007 category: Acoustic Guitars
Composite Acoustics: Legacy Performer
The same great specs in the same great guitar, but with the addition of the fabulous Fishman AP-7 pickup system, featuring dual transducers and a built-in tuner.
 9.6
 8.4
 1,383
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Legacy Performer Reviewed by: patterson_22, on june 26, 2007

Purchased from: American Music

Features: Made in the US in 2004. Developed and made by two guys from NASA using carbon fiber instead of wood. Has 20 frets, but isnt a cutaway so body starts after the 14th fret. Black, solid carbon top that has an almost holographic look to it. Built-in mic. Included a built-in Fishman Prefix Premium Blend pickup and tuner. Allows you to control the notch, volume, frequency, treble, contour, bass and blender from mic to pickup. A fairly large and heavy guitar, especially for an acoustic. Are hard to find, because CA guitars were not being made for the past 2 years, while the new company expanded from the garage NASA project that it was. Are being made now though. // 9

Sound: Very powerful sound. I'm able to jam with my band without needing to plug in. My band thought I was plugged in and I wasn't, it totally shocked them when I finally plugged in. Has a very full and clean sound. Able to get much more bass out of it than most acoustics. Seems hard to bend strings, no matter what I buy. Amazing for the price. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Honestly have yet to have any problems in anything electrical. Bridge is solid. Really have not found any flaws. Everything has worked properly and nothing has malfunctioned or has broke. Because CA is "Carbon-Acoustic" instead of wood, and the paint is a base used on many things that NASA uses, everything is much more precise and does not rust or oxidize like many other acoustics. All of the equipment seems very top notch. The company's NASA background shows in this very well-built, solid guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Built to last forever. Is a carbon fiber guitar, no wood. I've banged it around so much and have yet to dent it. Would and have used on a gig without a backup, even when I've have very quality acoustics to use as a backup. The fretboard has shown no signs of wear in the 3 1/2 years I had the guitar. Is my go-to acoustic. The carbon fiber material is unbelievably durable. I travel with it, both by car and plane, all of the time and is in just as good of shape as the day I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I use it for a lot of rock-based music, as well as folk, country and even some jazz. For me it's a dream come true acoustic. The carbon fiber material is perfect for me. I love the bass it gets. My father heard it and had to get a CA (different model, the cutaway) for himself, despite having a $2500 Taylor. I do wish it had a cutaway at times, but absolutely love the sound, make it worth not having a cutaway. I've been playing for about 6 years, have 4 other guitars and I love my CA the best. Once you play a CA you'll have a really hard time playing anything else. // 10

Comments