AF510E Review

manufacturer: Cort date: 01/25/2016 category: Acoustic Guitars
Cort: AF510E
The sound of this guitar is crisp, bright and surprisingly loud for its size.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 7.8
 8.5
 5,970
reviews (2) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
AF510E Reviewed by: parrotbrandjuic, on december 31, 2014

Purchased from: online

Features: This is an Indonesian made guitar bought brand new. On offer. This was cheaper than the non electronics version which was not on offer! Concert sized, laminated spruce, mahogany back and sides. Flat shoulders and deep waist. Rosewood fingerboard. Black teardrop shaped pick guard. It is thinner and shorter than a dreadnought and is comfortable to hold and play. Diecast tuners and one strap button at the bottom. Comes with a Cort CE304T pickup and tuner. Did not come with a bag or strap or anything extra except for an allen key and an extra peg and bridge. // 9

Sound: The sound is crisp, bright and surprisingly loud for its size. It came with D'Addario 012 strings which gave very pleasant projection but lacked sustain. I have changed it to extra light bronze and it sounds great and more balanced now. I only have a small 10w amp and it sounded duller when plugged in. May need some adjustments to the pre-amp for optimal results. I did not experiment long enough to make any final conclusions. It seems to sound nicer unplugged than plugged. Overall, it sounds like a very decent guitar and better than the its price would suggest. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is low and there is no buzzing. With the original medium light strings, a strong capo is needed to get a crisp sound but once I have changed to light strings, this is no longer a problem. This guitar is does not have a high gloss finish on its back and sides. It is an open pore design where you can feel the texture of the wood. It has a classy look because of this but I believe it will not withstand scratches as well as a high gloss finish. Everything is well aligned and finishing is top notch. The fingerboard has inconsistent wood grain. This is the only imperfection. Some parts of the fingerboard is lighter in color and some parts darker. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is well made and is expected to last. I can foresee scratches to its back and sides if you are not careful due to the open pore design. It built quality is on par with the Yamaha budget models. However, Yamaha budget models do not come with electronics unlike this. The electronics are pretty standard for many Cort guitars and it looked pretty robust. The electronic tuners works consistently. The battery bay looks well made and does not look like it will come loose any time. There is no freeplay to the diecast tuners and it has been holding tune pretty fine. // 9

Overall Impression: I like this guitar for fingerstyle. It is easy to hold and will not tire you out. I believe this is a great alternative to the Yamaha F310. There is a AF510 without the electronics. Yamaha F310 is a wonderful guitar but it may be big for children or smaller framed persons. This Cort has become my favourite guitar. The size is right, it looks classy, it has electronics, it sounds good, comfortable to play and it is very affordable. I will be extremely unreasonable to ask for more. Best purchase for 2014! // 9

AF510E Reviewed by: bombomexguitar, on january 25, 2016

Purchased from: used

Features: This is a nice Indonesian laminated top, mahogany-body and neck, electro-acoustic guitar. It looks better than it sounds but it is a great guitar for a beginner. The controls are Cort brand and sound to crisp to my liking, but can be bearable if equalized. It has nice metal tuners, good neck width (not to big, not to thin). Has 3 band equalizer and built in tuner, which doesn't work that well either. I think they described it as a concert smaller guitar, but it doesn't look concert to me, and doesn't sound concert definitely, it is more dreadnought. I bought it used and it didn't came with any other accessories. // 7

Sound: This guitar sounds crisp and its ok for a dreadnought type guitar, but as someone already reviewed, the preamp sounds way to crisp, needs adjustment. It sounds better without connecting and it has a pretty decent sound, not to rich or full but enough to do the trick and appear as a better mid range quality guitar. It isn't noisy, nor makes strange sound. Yet it is pretty loud but has no full sound. It doesn't has a lot of variety, it has only bright sound which is not bad, but it isn't versatile enough to play more styles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is really low which I like, I bought it used, so I really don't know if it came that way. It appears it has no flaws, and it looks really good. The frets are big enough, I don't know exactly if jumbo, but they aren't definitely small. The pre amp need adjustment to sound a little less bright. The construction is well, but not amazing, for the money I think it is better made than some other brand guitars which cost the same or a little bit more. It has no flaws, and it plays pretty fast. It is light which make me wonder if this gives it the bright sound and the neck is really firm. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar can last if taken well care of, it's back and sides are open pore mahogany so many think it can be damaged easily. I own another open pore Wahsburn mahogany classic guitar and it has withstand a lot of damage, so don't worry about this. The tuners are metal which are nice and will last. What will probably won't last is the nut which both, bridge and neck look like plastic made, and strings have made dents on them. The strap button is plastic to and the battery holder appears a little loose, but I don't think it will come off or something. As I said before this guitar could be used in a gig and appear like a better guitar of what it really is, you can depend on it, but if I were to give an important concert I would probably want a fuller and richer sound. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is a good guitar for beginners and pop/country songs. I use it for that and I'm happy with the purchase although if stolen I would probably not buy it again, unless I found it even cheaper. I love the looks, its cheap and it doesn't sound horrible. I compare it to Ibanez and Fender electro-acoustic and I think this guitar wins in the money/quality ratio over the budget models of those brands. I bought it to have a workhorse that I could lend to anyone and not be worried about someone damaging a high budget guitar. I think I got more than what it costs and looks awesome. // 9

Comments