CEC5 review by Cort

Cort: CEC5

I use this guitar to play jazz and classical music which it handles very well. The pickup is reasonable and allows the guitar to be heard when played in large jazz bands/orchestras. However when playing solo I prefer to play acoustically over using the pick up. This is because the unplugged sound is exceptional although it is quiet due to the relativley thin body. Unfortunately I have not been succesful in being able to preserve this brilliant tone when amplified, but I believe this is because I do not have an Acoustic amp. The guitar only produces feedback if the mids are very high and the pickup is to close to the amp, under normal conditions this guitar produces no unwanted noise. The guitar is certainly capable of a vareity of tones and timbres and it responds to expressive and dynamic playing excellently.

Overall the Acoustic sound produced is outstanding, especially considering this guitar is in the lower price range. I have tried many more expensive guitars with a worse tone. This guitar is a little quiet, but it has managed unplugged performances to a few hundered people. The amplified sound is stil good but the tone does change from when it is unplugged, I believe that with an Acoustic amp it would sound brilliant. This guitar has a good playbillity, with the cutaway giving easy access to the higher frets. The neck seems thiner than most classical guitars but is still thicker than an electric guitar neck, making it a comfortable size. This guitar has nylon strings so is very well suited to classical and jazz music.I would recommend this guitar.

This guitar is very reliable, personally I have used it live on many occasions all without a backup and have never had a problem. The pick up does require a battery so it is important to have a spare, a light on the guitar indicates the battery level so you can tell if it will need to be changed. The battery life is very long.

The guitar was set up well and the action requried no adjustments. This is a well made guitar with no flaws on the finish or any problems effecting the playability. The guitar can be fitted with a strap making it playable standing up aswell. Very rarely there is some unwanted vibration heard from inside the guitar when played, however this dissapears with a shake or tap and so is never really problem and once sorted it does not return.

Handcrafted in China, 22 frets, 643mm (25.3")scale, Rosewood fretboard. Body is Solid Red Cedar with Mahogany Back & Sides with a venetian cut away. Rosewood / Cort Classic bridge. Fishman Classic4T pick up with treble, mid, bass and volume control. Slotted Classic Chrome tuners.

jbarn2
    After playing and reading some reviews I decided to buy the CEC5 in September 2011. I fell in love with the action and sound until about a month later. A buzz started to come and when I shuck it I heard what I thought was the wire for the pick up come lose. When I pulled the the battery compartment out the whole mount (4 screws) came up. A quick look scared me. It looked like when they made the hole they didn't use a jig and free handed making the hole. The glue they used didn't hold the mount down because there wasn't enough wood to hold it. It is still at the shop that I bought it from $400.00 including the tax, not much for a good guitar but that was one of the selling points. I think at this point I should either demand a replacement or buy the Yamaha I almost bought instead.