Earth 70-12 Review

13,194
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Earth 70-12 Reviewed by: guest124, on february 05, 2008

Purchased from: Yamaha Music Mackay

Features: This guitar was made in 2006 and is supposably handcrafted in China. It has 20 frets on a rosewood fretboard. The top is solid spruce and the back and sides are mahogany. It has a natural finish on a dreadnought body. The guitar didn't come with accessories, but did come with a allen key and instructions for adjusting the truss rod, a spare bridge pin and bridge. Also I did get a discount for buying a hardcase with the guitar. // 8

Sound: I bought this guitar for practice and BBQ's the only thing is that it is very bright and in hindsight I should have opted for a darker wood guitar, although with dead strings it does get close to the sound I would like it to have. The thing that I do love about this guitar is the fact the harder you play it the louder it gets, which is the reason I opted for this guitar, that and the build quality for the moeny I wanted to spend. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I was really impressed with the finish on the guitar and the action is where I like it, not overly high so I can dig the strings abit and not low enough to have fret buzz, you really have to give it a hard time to achieve any buzz at all. Also the hader you play it the louder it gets, which I would have thought using light strings would create some fret buzz. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't know if this guitar would stand up to a gig being that it has no pickup in it, If I was to install a pick I would rely on it without a backup, the only problem I have had is that a bridge pin broke on it's first string change so I plan to replace the bridge pins on the next string change, I have a friend Who had a similar experiance with his 6 string Cort so maybe that's why they supply a spare bridge pin with the guitar. I have'nt put a strap on this guitar so I can't really comment on the strap pin, the finish seems durable, but I don't knock my guitars around so. // 7

Overall Impression: I use this guitar for practice so mainly blues, it is a good match, as long as you leave dead strings on it for a while to reduce the brightness. I have been playing properly for about 18 months, I had a friend Who showed me stuff and I picked some really bad habits, but I managed to get a teacher Who sorted a lot of them out. but about 4 years in total, it has taken me 18 months to sort out my bad habits. Other guitars around the place are a greg bennett inercepter 2, a Gibson Les Paul Supreme custom and a limited edition jack daniels strat, I also have a Yamaha FG730S. If this guitar was broken or stolen I would be out for blood, but I would'nt buy the same guitar because I would opt for a darker wood next time. // 9

Comments