FX550EQ MS Review

manufacturer: Crafter date: 10/02/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars
Crafter: FX550EQ MS
It has a figured Ashwood top and is fitted with the Timber PLUS PreAmp and Show pick-up system. It features chrome diecast machine heads, rosewood fingerboard with dot position markers and a contoured fibre bowl back for comfort.
 9.1
 9.2
 8,325
review (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FX550EQ MS Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on october 02, 2006

Purchased from: Italmelody

Features: This is a late '90s-very early '00s guitar, so it's quite recent, and it was made in Korea. It has 21 frets, a fairly thin & narrow neck, and a solid top, with a gloss finish (in a really dark green at the edges that gradually gets lighter to the center). Apparently, the fretboard and bridge are made of Indian rosewood, but the body top is ashwood, and the back & sides are made of reinforced FX fibreglass; so you know it's wickedly durable: it's fallen down a flight of stairs and hasn't crapped out on me yet! The body is a cutaway Les Paul-type thing with a smooted out horn, and this bridge (like most acoustics) is a set bridge, which gives access to both ball-end strings & tie-end strings (-la classical guitar nylon string approach). Furthermore, the cutaway gives pretty decent access to some of the higher frets; I can reach the 17th fret quite comfortably, and I've got pretty small hands. Also, this is an acoustic-electric guitar, so it has electronics that allow you to alter treble, midrange, presence & bass; with a master volume control as well (all which are powered with a battery). The tuners seem to be the only hardware on the instrument, which are Chrome diecast tuners, embroidered with the Crafter logo on the back of each tuner. Unfortunately though, this guitar doesn't come with any case, but it's features are so awesome, that you'll never want to leave the house with it! // 10

Sound: This is a great acoustic guitar whether you load it with Bronze wound acoustic strings, or Nylons (but I prefer nylon strings personally). I usually play it unplugged, but the fact that it sounds pretty darn good with even an electric guitar amp is pretty cool, so I can only imagine so far what it must sound like through an acoustic guitar amp! It's a fairly clean guitar plugged in, but I find that it's better suited for acoustic playing, unless you're planning on recording with it. And of course, once you are plugged in, you'll realized that this guitar can dish out settings that range from very warm rhythym sounds, to very bright lead sounds; so it's very versatile tone-wise. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is insane! It's very low compared to most acoustics which I really love. I can't stand an action that's like 3 inches from the neck, so you can be sure that this is a great lead acoustic instrument. The pickup is a sensor acoustic pickup & is very responsive, so you never have to worry about that, and after a few years of owning it and playing with it frequently, there have been no major adjustments to it in any way, shape or form. And as far as I can tell, there are no real flaws on any part of it with the exception of a chunk of the finish that came off after it fell down a flight of stairs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned before, this guitar has fallen down a flight of stairs and still plays (and looks) ridiculously well considering. So it's very durable. I play in front of crowds all the time & even did a little gig with it (all after the staircase incident) and it's never crapped out on me. The hardware's been great so far, and a backup has never been (and probably never will be) a necessity, and the finish is great; it always seem to turn heads and get a lot of praise no matter where I seem to go! If there's a stronger acoustic guitar out there, I've yet to find it personally! // 8

Overall Impression: I play just about anything on this guitar, but leads and solos above all and it sounds great (most of the time). After playing for a few years and owning this one for 2, I think it's safe to say that this guitar's really great, even though I only paid about $300CAN for it! Honestly, if it were ever stolen, I'd pay that same 300 just to get it back, maybe even more, this guitar is really awesome. It's an excellent acoustic, I don't care what anyone says. I've played with a lot more expensive gutars like Ovations which were running for about double or even triple the price of what I paid for this one & I can honestly say with no bias that this guitar has felt and in some rare cases even sounded better than the expensive ones! This guitar is like my perfect match in terms of an acoustic guitar, but it could just be me, so I would seriously recommend anyone to check these out. // 10

Comments