Twin-Bird Review

manufacturer: Crafter date: 05/20/2011 category: Acoustic Guitars
Crafter: Twin-Bird
Overall it's a great guitar. Probably the easiest action I had felt on an Acoustic in years and it was like that all the way up the fret board.
 9.2
 9.8
 8.5
 6,337
review (1) pictures (4) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Twin-Bird Reviewed by: gibby1509, on may 20, 2011

Features: Here is the low down and tech' gumf. MODEL NAME: TB-Bubinga BODY STYLE: Grand Auditorium Cutaway TOP: Solid Engelmann BACK and sides: Bubinga BRACING: T-brace NECK: Mahogany WIDTH AT NUT: 45mm FRET BOARD: Indian Rosewood SCALE LENGTH: 647.70 mm NO. OF FRETS: 21 MACHINE HEADS: Deluxe Chrome Tuners with Mushroom buttons BRIDGE: Indian Rosewood HARDWARE: Chrome LECTRONICS: New LR-S Plus Preamp with L.R.Baggs Element Pick-up COLORS: Natural FINISH: Satin UNIQUE FEATURES: Dovetail Neck Joint Wood Twin Birds Position Marks & Sound hole inlay New Crafter Bridge pin. Came with a full padded case... No cheapo either. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds warmer than a fat man in nylon sitting on an underground train in summer during rush hour (I'm aloud to say this... I'm a fat man). My musical stylings go from Kate Bush to System Of A Down which means I play it when I want an Acoustic sound... And I get it. Due to the pre-amp controls I tend to just plug it straight into the PA then adjust the levels to achieve the warmth or brightness I require. The main sound is different levels of warmth. It's one of the reasons I bought it after playing it for five minutes in the shop. If I had to be be critical of something it would be that maybe the brighter I go with it the more plinky it gets and not always in a nice way. This brings my mark down from a 10 to a 9... Naughty pre-amp! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set-up to perfection from the factory (the shop bloke had just taken it out of the wrapping... And if I remember rightly it was near as damn it in tune). Probably the easiest action I had felt on an Acoustic in years and it was like that all the way up the fret board. I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Looked pretty, played well, what more could you ask for? // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing and continues to. Fair enough I'm not rocking out throwing the thing round stage but it is what it is and delivers all the time. Everything is well made and shows no signs of giving up. I never carry a back-up acoustic... With this there is no need to. I keep the strings fresh and the wood clean and it's repaid me by completing the sets without drama. I've owned it for over 5 years (I think roughly... Maybe longer) and is as solid as you like. I could still sell it on describing it as new/mint condition... But I don't want to sell it... It's the dogs danglies. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall it's a great guitar. When I'm doing the old mellow bit it's the business. To be honest it makes you want to improve your playing to justify having it. The Twin Birds give a really nice unique display to the front and unlike other fancy looking guitars it lives up to it's first impreesion. I own a medley of other equipment, mostly electric guitars... Maverick F1 and X1, Fender Strat, Vester Stage, Dean V along with the Crafter 12 string (that I bought with this one... Think I rave about the twin bird wait til I post my review of the 12 stringer!) Didn't have to ask any question before buying this. The guy new his stuff and anything else I wanted to know was asnwered by playing it. I'm always trying out gear whether I'm looking to buy or not (they must hate me in stores) and this has been the best of the lot... I may get myself a Fender Telecoustic eventually but only as a varience in sound. If this was stolen I would be inprisoned after finding the dirty rotten scum that took it for the slow painful death of him and anyone that had ever spoken to him... Too much? Maybe I'd cry then buy another without question. // 10

Comments