Stardust Electro-Acoustic Review

5.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Stardust Electro-Acoustic Reviewed by: Dismal Angel, on july 19, 2006

Purchased from: AndertonsOnline.co.uk

Features: 25 1/4 scale with 22 medium frets, Grover tuners. Slim mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Body is a composite oval back and the top comes in either a very glam-rock glittery Pink or gold finish, or for those with traditional tastes, there's a simple maple finish. Pearloid daisy inlay. The pickups are Daisy Rock piezo, master volume, presence and 3 Band Active EQ. Guitar comes with a purple bag bearing the "Daisy Rock" logo emblem on the front. I will state that the Pink glitter is incredibly dull and dark, and barely sparkles at all, and the whole guitar is lined with white plastic which is quite unattractive in itself. // 7

Sound: The reason I bought this guitar was because I'm a woman with fairly small hands. Alot of female musicians recommended Daisy Rock guitars as they have the smaller body and the sound is what was described as perfect. First of all, after getting it out of the box, I noticed straight away, while it was playable, it's not playable as simply an acoustic. The sound is tinny, just barely audible and somewhat a little bit rattling, if you're the kind of person Who likes to go unplugged most of the time, this definately isn't the guitar for you. Plugging it into the amp from my Cruiser electric proved to be a bit more successful than playing it as it was. I found that after messing with the EQ settings a little, I could get a nice meaty sound from it, or a nice bright tone depending on what song I was playing. It can go from sounding deep like a full bodied acoutic to fully electric, and the volume is quite pleasing, even on a 10w amp. Strumming can sound a little overbearing on it, even with it's hollow body, there isn't much vibration, so songs can sound a little empty, and it is prone to some fret noise. On the other hand, fingerpicking songs can sound quite delightful and bright. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box, the guitar was playable, even in transit after having been delivered from England, it was nicely in tune. The action is quite low on this, which means it's easier to do barre chords on (for me this is a plus) and faster to play on. I did find playing the B string on the first fret is a little challenging, I think this is due to a manufacturing mistake, it takes a helluva lot of pressure to get it to sound like anything other than a dull empty twang. I'll add that it comes with a battery in it already so you can start playing with an amp immediately. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I don't think in all honestly I could recommend this guitar to anyone who wants to play gigs, while it looks fabulous from the front with it's little sparkling body, it just isn't up to sounding fabulous on set. This would be a great learning guitar though, ideal for a child, or for someone Who likes to sit alone and strum away. The strap buttons seem incredibly sturdy, the finish seems durable enough that it won't chip or dent, and as I mentioned the thing is rimmed with plastic so I doubt the edges will be damaged much during ownership. // 5

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that while it's playable, it's probably not the best choice I've ever made on guitar. It's a lovely guitar, don't get me wrong, and I think if perhaps I were a more advanced player, it might sound fantastic. Although I'd done many online searches, I was unable to find any proper reviews of the Stardust Electro-Acoustic model, or even any videos or audio clips to determine exactly how playable it was. If I'd had any idea how it sounded I probably wouldn't have bought it. My favourite feature of the guitar I guess is it's perfect for girls/women. It's slim, it's body is smaller, the neck is slimmer. If you're into girly things I suppose, this guitar is charming. As for my dislikes about the guitar, the tinny and low sound on acoustic playing and the problem with the B string. Otherwise, it's an okay guitar. // 7

Comments