Exotica review by Dean

Dean: Exotica

Purchased from: a little store

I play all sorts of stuff, mostly classic rock, and blues. One this guitar I play all sorts of stuff, from just basic chord strumming, to stuff like kansas and zeppelin, to stuff such as what that kid in august Rush does. I play this without an amp mostly, when I do use an amp I use a 65W Fender Princeton. Obviously if you crank the volume and sit near the amp, you are going to get huge feedback, since this is an acoustic guitar. I can get a wide variety of tones from this guitar, since it has all the tone controls (presence, treble, middle, and bass). You can get a very bright sound, or a dark deep, mellow sound, really anything you want. It suits my music style good as well.

This guitar is a pretty good match for my style. I've only been playing for 2 years, I own a Epiphone mahogany SG as well, and am getting a strat or a tele very soon. If this guitar was stolen, I would be angry, then I would find the guy Who stole it, demand money for the guitar, and then go and buy another acoustic guitar, such as a Garrison or Epiphone masterbilt. Not because I don't like this guitar, but just becuase I would want to try something different. My favourite thing about this guitar would have to be it's looks. The flame maple top is absolutely gorgeous, especially with the dark blue (almost greyish) color that I have (the color of my guitar is much darker than the color on most pictures). The abalone fret markers and inlay around the soundhole are also sweet. The feature that I hate, at least dislike, would have to be the shape of the bridge. I compared it to a Takamine acoustic electric, and another Dean, and they all sounded fairly similar, so I picked this one because it looked way better than any of the other ones.

I think this guitar will withstand Live playing. I haven't played it live, but I do play it quite a bit, and it has been dropped (not by me, I take loving care of my instruments) without any damage. The hardware seems like it will last, the tuners are good. There is only one strap button, on the bottom, it is solid. Definatley can depend on this guitar, could be played Live without a backup, although I'm not sure why you would want to do that. The finish is good, there are some tiny basically unseeable scratches from picks, which is normal on any guitar.

The guitar was setup pretty good, the action is fairly high, I would change that for sure, haven't tried yet, so I'm not sure how much lower I could go before I get some fret buzz. The flame maple top was perfectly bookmatched, definitely no complaints there. Can't really find any flaws, one tiny thing is that sometimes it's a pain to get the battery out of the compartment (if you leave the battery in, it will go dead, even if it's not being used). Not a big deal at all though.

Jericho114
    If it took you longer than two seconds to see how that was a guitar, you're a complete moron. It should be mandatory for full body pictures, there is nothing I hate more than seeing a glimpse of a nice guitar and then having to look it up on google. Easy enough I know, but if we're already here it just makes sense.
    TatarSalad2
    Excuse me? Deans suck? They are a very good quality guitar, and they sound excellent? You heard of Dimebag Derrel? Yeah, that awesome sound you're hearing is a Dean.
    thenexthetfield
    Of course I've heard of Dimebag...I don't live in a freakin' hole in the middle of no where. Also, that's only MY OPINION... why do you care what I think? Every Dean I've ever played just feel horrible, the sound isnt bad, but they just don't feel like a solid guitar... to me anyways. Anyways, I've got better things to do with my time than fighting some random person over an internet forum, so later. So did that clear anything up?
    musicjunkie12
    Deans are kinda overratted, i'v owned to many of them and have not been 100% satisfied with any of them
    Megadeth2011
    Deans are amazing. I have a Dean Dragster (pretty good for a low end guitar) and a Dave Mustaine VMNT1, which is the best guitar I've played. However, I have NEVER played a Dimebag that I liked.
    cyco_bob56
    Deans are actually really nice guitars. I have a Dean Explorer that I use as my main guitar because it sounds alot better than my RR3 guitar both plugged AND unplugged. I gotta say you just have to get one of those chance finds.
    GisleAune
    hothot wrote: You have to spend over $600 to get a nice dean.
    10, 9.2, 10,... excuse me? this guitar gets just good scores around here.