Exotica Quilt Ash Review

manufacturer: Dean date: 02/22/2012 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Dean: Exotica Quilt Ash
I play Alt Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Acoustic-Folk - and this guitar does fit the bill. It's just too good for the money.
 8.2
 9.8
 6.6
 4,131
review (1) pictures (4) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Exotica Quilt Ash Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 22, 2012

Features: I'm unsure about the year - but it was bought new in summer of 2008. This is a 21 fret Acoustic-Electric with a 3-band EQ and tuner. Of course when you look at this guitar - it's flashy - abalone inlay on the headstock, a quilt ash body (hence the name), celluloid binding on the neck and body, a mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, sealed die-cast tuners. I read somewhere this is a grand orchestra bodystyle - which I'm not sure about, but sounds right. Even an XLR output as well as the 1/4"- Relative to price - there are a ton of features on this guitar. // 10

Sound: This is NOT the sound of a top of the line Martin, Guild, or Taylor - HOWEVER - it is very well balanced, loud, and crisp. The frequencies are pretty distinguishable - and they're actually improving with time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: From the factory, it was set up very well - from what I can remember, the action may have been a tad high, but action and setup is something I take with a grain of salt these days - it's not a custom shop model so it will need adjusting. As far as living up to the craftsmanship - this is a "10" all around. Every detail from the "Features" category is tip top (surprisingly). Everything feels nice, and the guitar as a whole is super solid (nothing feels out of place, loose, or sloppily assembled). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I have to say - I've had this thing for 3 and a half years, suffered one small ding - but it's probably not the guitar's fault. Everything is working just as I unboxed it yesterday. The finish is a thick gloss so there are a few scratches and scuffs which may be easy to take care of, but I never really tried. I would absolutely depend on this to play well, stay in tune, and serve me in anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: I wanted an Acoustic-Electric guitar, and only had a couple of possibilities in mind when I showed up at GC - I was willing to spend up to 4 or 500 tops. I played Epiphone, Ibanez, Fender, Yamaha, Seagull, Ovation, and probably a few more in my 2 hour stay in their acoustic room. The Dean's flashy looks at first deterred me - all show, no go, right? But when I played it, it was just comfortable and incredibly solid. I play Alt Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Acoustic-Folk - and this guitar does fit the bill. Even if at some point I do get a $1000+ Martin or something like that - I will keep this guitar. It's just too good for the money. // 10

Comments