1964 Texan review by Epiphone

Epiphone: 1964 Texan

Purchased from: SamAsh Music

When I picked this up in the store I know right away..this is the one. I needed a decent, not expensive acoustic/electric guitar. The sound is very crisp and clear. I am using it with my practice amp made by Fender. I am using light strings on it. It sounds great on clean and distorted. No fret buzzing (after setting it up properly).

I play for about 2 years now and mostly Led Zeppelin, Grunge and Country on this guitar. I would surely buy it again in case of theft. This is by far my favority acoustic/electric guitar in this price range. It looks great, feels great and has some history. I love the finish, the crip and clear sound it is able to produce.

This guitar will do great for live performance, gigs or just playing around on your own. The strap button is the chord jack at the same time (in case you can't find it..). The finish looks like its going to last for a long time. I would absolutely depend on this guitar during gigs.

I had to do my own, custom setup. It might have been ok for other musicians but I prefer my action on the lower side. I did a minor mod on the truss nut, filed down the bridge and the head nut. If you don't know what you're doing PLEASE have a shop done it for you. I do all my setups myself. There were no scratches or any other visible or mechanical flaws with this guitar. The volume, bass and treble dials are inside the body, and not easy to reach. This will be difficult to use during gigs. But you know that BEFORE you buy the guitar, hence its not a flaw in my eyes.

This acoustic/electric guitar is a "inspired by". It was inspired by the real one (made famous by Paul McCartney and other musicians). Model: "Inspired by" 1964 Texan Acoustic/Electric Frets: 20 Body: Solid Mahogany (Back & Sides) Top: Solid Spruce Top Neck Wood: Mahogany Fingerboard: Rosewood Controls: Master Volume, High & Low EQ, Phase Switch, Low battery indicator Bridge: Rosewood, Reverse-Belly Machine Heads: Vintage-style Nickel, 14:1 ratio with small cream buttons

Sam Wotrey
    SG69 wrote: i wonder how old this kid is,..."this guitar will do great for live performance" eh? maybe i should be a shitty epi and leave the martin home
    Don't be an anti-Epi elitist. Guys, rate the guitar, not the damn review.
    doive
    you play grunge on it through a distorted fender practice amp... this has me quite baffled. Also if you needed to do a set up on it when it came, that is a flaw - not deserving of a 9. As for the buttons being on the inside - that just sound like a pain in the arse...
    Philly080
    "this will be difficult to use during gigs" next section: ..."this guitar will do great for live performance, gigs or just playing around on your own" I don't get it.
    Natrone
    You obviously have a highly distorted view of what acoustic/electric guitars are meant for.
    MrWeenie
    jeez, calm down LarsK, as harsh as this criticism is, most of it is constructive in some way. Rather than mindlessly swearing at them, take in to account what they say and bear it in mind for next time.
    Hart_Attack
    "No fret buzzing (after setting it up properly)." so it had fret buzzing when you bought it? as MrWeenie said before in this post all of these reviews from fellow UGers are not being harsh. but they are definetly showing you the error of your ways, try proof-reading dude and read other reviews on other guitars to get the hang of what to write and how to write it. otherwise... Fail. Please try again later.
    Quantumdriven
    I totally lucked-out and scored this from musciansfriend for $255.19 because it was a Return with finish issues. I personally wouldn't piss on a Gibson if it was on fire, but I took a chance on this thing merely because I wanted the vanity of owing a solid top guitar and this was the only way it was going to happen, lol. My guess is that this top and back are from Gibson stock that didn't make the AAA grade, so they gave it to Epiphone and said go for it. And because of that us poor folk have came into quite a jim dandy guitar at a budget price. Mine came with way, WAY too high action and neck relief, but that was easily cured. For sure the nut, saddle, and bridge pins are plastic and I'll be replacing mine with Tusq just to see out of curiosity if it's a big jump in quality of sound. I can assure you that the bracing is nicely thin and scalloped correctly. I point that out because of how some guitars go overkill and put thick log bracing in the top in order for the guitar to outlast the warranty for the top getting a 5/8 inch "belly," lol! And on the "belly," mine apparently has a built in 3/16 inch one built in to it; as it stayed that way with strings off and weighted down heavily while I thoroughly humidified the guitar for 3 days. But I'm not worried about putting 13s on this and any increase belly down the road, because I'm putting a JLD Bridge Doctor in this guitar. I will say I'm disappointed that they thickly poly coated this guitar... but you can't have it all, hey? All in all I say get one of these evEn if you have to pay what the Reviewer did, but certainly go for it at $399.99 at musciansfriend.
    sokovnina89
    Not good at all. Very high string height so you have to configure it with a guitar master. The neck is designed so that when you want to set up the anchor he changes position unevenly so it's better not to do it at all. Also the neck is so uncomfortable to play.
    SG69
    LarsK
    I am sorry for posting a review you ****ing mother ****ers.
    Elgar_Bigsby