1964 Texan Review

7,217
reviews (2) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
1964 Texan Reviewed by: LarsK, on march 17, 2010

Purchased from: SamAsh Music

Features: This acoustic/electric guitar is a "inspired by". It was inspired by the real one (made famous by Paul McCartney and other musicians). Model: "Inspired by" 1964 Texan Acoustic/Electric Frets: 20 Body: Solid Mahogany (Back & Sides) Top: Solid Spruce Top Neck Wood: Mahogany Fingerboard: Rosewood Controls: Master Volume, High & Low EQ, Phase Switch, Low battery indicator Bridge: Rosewood, Reverse-Belly Machine Heads: Vintage-style Nickel, 14:1 ratio with small cream buttons // 9

Sound: When I picked this up in the store I know right away..this is the one. I needed a decent, not expensive acoustic/electric guitar. The sound is very crisp and clear. I am using it with my practice amp made by Fender. I am using light strings on it. It sounds great on clean and distorted. No fret buzzing (after setting it up properly). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to do my own, custom setup. It might have been ok for other musicians but I prefer my action on the lower side. I did a minor mod on the truss nut, filed down the bridge and the head nut. If you don't know what you're doing PLEASE have a shop done it for you. I do all my setups myself. There were no scratches or any other visible or mechanical flaws with this guitar. The volume, bass and treble dials are inside the body, and not easy to reach. This will be difficult to use during gigs. But you know that BEFORE you buy the guitar, hence its not a flaw in my eyes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will do great for live performance, gigs or just playing around on your own. The strap button is the chord jack at the same time (in case you can't find it..). The finish looks like its going to last for a long time. I would absolutely depend on this guitar during gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play for about 2 years now and mostly Led Zeppelin, Grunge and Country on this guitar. I would surely buy it again in case of theft. This is by far my favority acoustic/electric guitar in this price range. It looks great, feels great and has some history. I love the finish, the crip and clear sound it is able to produce. // 10

1964 Texan Reviewed by: jhaynes2, on september 06, 2016

Features:

• Purchased in August 2016 in Guitar Center of Appleton, Wisconsin.
  • Manufactured in 2014 in Indonesia.
  • Slim Taper Mahogany neck, Rosewood fingerboard, 20 medium-sized frets, 25.5" Scale, 14" radius, 1-5/8" nut width.
  • Solid Spruce Top, Solid Mahogany back, Laminated Mahogany sides
  • Jumbo Shape.
  • Rosewood bridge, reverse belly, compensated saddle.
  • Wilkinson 14:1 tuning pegs, vintage style cream colored buttons
  • Shadow NanoFlex pickup located just inside the top of the sound hole with strap button plug connection. Bass, treble, and volume controls. No on board tuner. Invisible to the casual observer.
// 9

Sound: I like to play country, blues, and soft rock and it is suitable for all the above styles. I typically don't amplify, but I have used it with a Vox VT20X modeling amp on bypass and with light reverb and it sounds great. Not as bassy as a '40s-era Gibson Jumbo, but can hold its own. I use thin picks and can achieve crystalline sounds on the first three strings. Depending on your pick and strum/picking style this guitar can probably meet your criteria. This instrument is loud enough to play without amplification. Projects very well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was a little high, but not enough to warrant and adjustments or setup. There appears to be a slight excess of polyurethane on the inside edge of the soundhole, but is only noticeable if you are looking at it from the side at the right angle in fairly bright light. The nut has a bit of a flaw, but only cosmetic, doesn't affect sound, intonation, or playability. Pickups can be a bit glassy and boomy if not properly adjusted. Stays in tune for decades! Other than a bit of excess polyurethane, the top, back, sides and neck finish is impeccable. Parallelogram "Pearloid" fingerboard and headstock inlays are classy-looking. Sexier than fingerboard dots. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only owned the guitar for a month, and I only use it at home as I am not a professional musician, but more of a hobbyist. That said, compared to some of the other guitars I have played in that price range, NONE of them can compare to the feel and sound of this guitar. I play it for at least an hour every day and it actually seems to be getting better. Could be my imagination, but I don't think so. After a month there are no signs of wear except the frets are breaking in (fairly scratchy when new) and I expect to need new strings before too long. // 10

Overall Impression: It totally fits my preference for soft rock (Eagles and such). I was looking for a low-dollar temporary guitar to fill in the gap while my 1946 Southern Jumbo is being repaired and refurbished. I was lucky to find this with only minor issues (see above) on clearance in Guitar Center of Appleton, Wisconsin. It sounds great for what it is, better than you'd expect. You should see one in person before ordering. The color is somewhere between yellow and orange. Not my favorite color at first, but it's growing on me. In real life expect to pay between $400 and $450. It was a lucky day for me to find one brand new for $239. // 9

Comments