AJ-15E Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 04/14/2006 category: Acoustic Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Epiphone: AJ-15E
Epiphone AJ-15E Natural Acoustic/Electric. Piezo/Passive Pickups. Chrome Hardware. Mahogany Neck. Rosewood/Dot Fingerboard. Mahogany Body.
 9.6
 8.3
 11,405
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
AJ-15E Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2003

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The features on this guitar are pretty standard. It is an acoustic/electric with no volume controls. It has a solid spruce top and a maple fretboard. This guitar has 20 frets and no cut-away. On my guitar I have standard Epiphone tuners (non locking) and a thin neck. // 8

Sound: I love the way this guitar sounds. You can't hardly beat it unless you are willing to pay a couple grand for an acoustic guitar. It also sounds great through a P/A on through an amp. I don't have an acoustic amp so sometimes I play it through my Marshall; it still sounds great! The only thing that bothers me about this guitar is its volume. When in a normal setting this guitar is not quite as loud as I would like it to be. But other than that, there are no complaints here. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is very well crafted. The rosetta and top are beautifully crafted; especially for it's price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is probably the most reliable guitar I have ever come across. The reason I got this guitar is because I usually play electric with my band and if I just wanted to go jam with someone or something I would have to beg my dad to let me borrow one of his Martin's. That usually didn't go over too well. I have put this guitar through the ringer. It has been through many a drunken nights of non-stop playing at parties and gatherings (mostly me trying to get some ass from girls:) ). Hot, cold, damp, dry, and any other kind of scenario you can think of, this guitar has survived it all. Sometimes I just want to "test" it to see just how much it can withstand. Through all of that, it still sounds great, looks good, and stays in tune. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first started playing guitar I was a pure "Metal Head". After having this acoustic, my taste in music has broadened considerably. Now I listen to alot of Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, and Dashboard Confessionals. But don't worry, I still love my Metallica and Pantera. I also have a Fender Strat, Fat Strat, Marshall 100 watt valvestate, and a Crate 15 watt practice amp. But if you are looking for an excellent, low-cost guitar, I would definitely get this one. I call it my 'drunk guitar'. // 10

AJ-15E Reviewed by: zachmc92, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: First National Pawn

Features: Hey people, be sure to check out pawn shops. I got what was a $1500 guitar for $150. It was still in awesome shape as well. It was just a normal 6 string acoustic guitar made some time in the 1990's and American made. It was made out of mahogany and it plays really good. I also got a high quality gig-bag with it too. // 10

Sound: Since I put medium strings on it, it kind of has a synthisized sound. Good for songs like Smoke On The Water. But I love it. It's not for my style though since I like songs like Eagles songs and just easy fun songs. I would like it better with light strings. I probably get some on here in th next year after my mediums wear out. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is in great condition. There is hardly any flaws at all. The only thing I would say is that at the bottom of the neck, two of the fret notes on the high E string play basically the same note/pitch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I depend on it. It's my favorite of all my guitars. The finish is divine. It's just a great guitar. I have accidentally hit it a few times and it didn't hurt it at all. So it's very durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play country/light rock songs. It is kind of a good match but since it has medium strings on it, it has too much of a low sound and heavy sound. I've been playing for a year and I already got over 20 chord memorized. I can transition very well too. I'm not too good at bar chords though. If I were to lose this guitar, I would buy one exactly like it. There's nothing I don't like about it. I mean of course, it's no Gibson or anyhting but I've gotten to love my guitar. // 10

Comments