AJ-200S Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/05/2016 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: AJ-200S
The Epiphone AJ-200S boasts a solid Spruce top for exceptional projection and resonance. If you're looking for a dreadnought acoustic guitar with more quality, playability and tone than fancy appointments, bells and whistles, look no further.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 8.7
 30,564
reviews (3) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
AJ-200S Reviewed by: Zeppelin71, on june 01, 2005

Features: This acoustic guitar has many good qualities. I wanted a Gibson J45, but it was a little steep at the time, so I got an Epiphone dreadnought. It has 20 frets, but isn't a cutaway, so you won't really use those a whole lot. This was not an electric acoustic, but I made it one anywho and it works just fine for it. The tuners are nothing special, but keep tune very well. It's got a tobacco finish I think with beautiful white body and neck binding. Slap some Ernie Ball Earths (Light) and this guitar is excellent. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my style. My band cannot locate a local drummer, so we decided we'd tone it down and go acoustic. So I play mostly Eric Clapton and Marshall Tucker and some Led Zeppelin. Anything soft enough, but not too soft. This guitar suits all very well. You can play pretty much anything on it. Sadly, when used with my amp of choice (Line6 Spider II), the feedback is awful and the feedback buster makes it sound tinny. But that's my fault, not the Epi's. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had no flaws and everything was placed perfectly. From the manufacturer, this guitar was excellently constructed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I take my Epi to my gigs with no backup. This guitar isn't really like an electric. There's not so much hardware. My pick up is a Barcus and Berry acoustic pickup and is really the only thing that can fail. Everything is solid. No worries. Does gigs fine. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, this was a replacement for the J45 I never had. But for the last year, I have been playing guitar and harp and this is an excellent piece of workmanship. My fav. feature would be the low end sound. It's rich and hums with attitude. If it were lost I'd replace it or buy the J45. Now, I don't know if there would be that much of a difference. There's nothing about this guitar I hate. It's my baby. I only wish it had come with a case. It's got some beauty marks now. // 10

AJ-200S Reviewed by: JPTheGuitarDude, on august 08, 2011

Features: I just moved to NC from NY and I could only take my two electrics with me, so I needed a decent Acoustic guitar for around 200 bucks. I had whittled the choices down to 3: Yamaha FG700S, Fender CD140S, and Epiphone AJ-220S. The Epi was my top choice, and Guitar Center had one, but it got sold before I got a chance to buy it. Luckily I saw the model from the previous year, the AJ-200S, on clearance for only $150. It had a scratch on it, but it didn't bother me enough to turn away from it. I snapped it up for a total of $257 including gig bag and accessories. It gets a point off for the scratch, but I consider it a battle scar. // 9

Sound: I'm a big fan of hard rock and prog, so some of the first things I played on it were Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Yes. The guitar sounds big and loud, which I love. The strings that it came with were old and rusted, so I slapped on some Elixir Polywebs, and it sounds awesome. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The scratch was the one flaw with this guitar. It stays in tune, and the action is great. Goldilocks would have considered it just right. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I used to be very cautious about Epis, but I think they've really stepped up their quality control in the last couple of years. I probably wouldn't gig with it without a backup, but that doesn't mean that this guitar isn't durable. I would take a backup even if I had a Gibson J-45. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I struck gold with this guitar. It sounds good, it looks decent, and plays like butter. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a Gibson, but doesn't have Gibson money. // 10

AJ-200S Reviewed by: kaihlenfeldt, on july 05, 2016

Purchased from: Marshall Music

Features: A stunningly balanced and good looking classical steel string guitar. The Rosewood fingerboard is stunning to the touch and the amount of play is brilliant for players ranging from beginners right through to pros. The Shadow Performer Tuner preamp is the clearest I've heard in a long time, and coupled with the Nano-Flex low-impendance pickup just adds to its constant clarity when used with the Phase button. Battery in the preamp isn't the standard 9v used in most, so warning to stocking up on the 2032 flat batteries when you do find them. // 9

Sound: The joy of the Shadow Performer Tuner preamp is endless. From a harsh and heavy feedback folk song, beyond to the more intricate and clarity craving acoustic solos, one button push is all it takes with the Phase function. The deep richness and fullness of every note you strike is resounding and when even cover the slightest of mistakes, edging you to push your playing further and further to the limit! I've played mine both through full sound desks and even through my small little bass practice amp with bare difference in the end sound quality delivered, other than the heavy tones from the bass amp hahaha. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action on the fingerboard is at a comfortable setting for any beginner to start on. It's also just right for quick and precise movement from pro players as well. Machine heads are 14:1 ratio sealed die-cast. Stunning quality and just what you'd expect from the holding company being Gibson. The bridge is a work of art being solid rosewood on a reverse-belly. The body pickup has never given the slightest hint of disturbance. The controls on the preamp, although being very plainly marked, are sturdy and yet highly sensitive. All the wood used is well finished off without a single lack of pure quality being compromised on. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Although the guitar feels delicate and gentle in the hands, don't be fooled with just how good the build quality is! I've used mine on many a stage already without a second glance at the conditions its been in. Obviously though, keep it away from water :p As with any guitar at all though, keeping everything well cleaned and nourished at all times, plays a large part in the durability of it. The bottom end strap button is highly confusing at first, considering that it doubles as your line jack, but the end result is a very comfortable sitting strap in the end. // 8

Overall Impression: With me playing a lot of gospel type music, there's a constant stream of fast and slow playing on this guitar. It has disappointed in either case. I also have occasion of playing very precise and intricate soloing, and the clarity of the guitar stuns throughout the entire gig. And then of course there's the long insomnia filled evenings when I end up sitting at the edge of the bed and gently play randomly for the wife to pass out again. Either way however, the AJ has yet to fail to deliver on what I throw at it on an acoustic level of playing. I love this guitar from beginning to end and I'm sold on the Epiphone AJ series for the rest of my life after this experience! // 9

Comments