Don Everly SQ-180 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 10/04/2005 category: Acoustic Guitars
Epiphone: Don Everly SQ-180
The guitar has 21 frets and is made entirely out of maple. It has a beautiful jet black finish with a very dark brown pickguard, that really blends in and gives it a classy and elegant look.
 7.5
 8.2
 6.8
 6,060
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Don Everly SQ-180 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2005

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: My Don Everly SQ180 accoustic guitar was purchased from the Gibson factory store in Nashville, TN. When I bought it, I never found out when it was made. The guitar has 21 frets, and is made entirely out of maple. It has a beautiful jet black finish with a very dark brown pickguard, that really blends in and gives it a classy and elegant look. It also has creme body and neck binding to set off the black. Excellent looks. The bridge is just like any accostic guitar. It has chrome Grover tuners, and chrome strap buttons. Finally, a rosewood fingerboard with pearloid star inlays. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock and alternative music, so before I bought this guitar, I knew this one had to be exactly what I was looking for. When I saw it, I was like "Whoa, I gotta try that out." When I did, I noticed that the intenation was just slightly off on the high strings high on the fretboard, but this mattered little to me, because it was just barely off. It does just fine with my music stlye, though I feel that any accoustic would od the job. One of the only problems I can see with this guitar that affected my decision at all was that it had very little mid-range tone. I have learned to work around it, though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was very well setup, it played fine right out of the box, which was really a big plus for me (I have had problems with other products in the past). The action was decent, althogh I would like the strings to be just a little lower. There is a thing I just can't stand about the pickguard position though. The guitar's center hole has several beautiful creame rings around it, and the pickguard allows very little of the circles to show. I don't know if that was intended, or if someone slipped up. But overall the look is excellent. The nut is well cut, the wood is healthy and strongs, and flawless finishing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty durable and very reliable. The hardware and strap buttons are in peak condition. The finish is very thin. I have yet to scracth it, but you can tell that the finish won't take a whole ton of abuse. It has hand rubbed style clear finish that seems easy to chip. I think the finsh will last, but not with much abuse. Yeah, I would gig with it. I think it would hold up. // 7

Overall Impression: The stly of music I play (rock, alternative) and this guitar seem to match up very well. This guitar is unique in that it has its own stlye, not just regular Jo-Blo brown or natural finish. I love that it is unique, and I hate that it's not very durable and doesnt have good mid-range tones. // 9

Comments