DR-100 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: DR-100

Purchased from: L&M

Really I just use this guitar for jammin' around the camp fire, and so it suits that music, but with only 20 frets and really high action solo's are pretty much out of the question. The soind is decent, esspecialy for what I paid for it, although the guy gave me a deal because I was buying an amp the same day and I buy from him frequently. It's a nice enough guitar, just not special. No buzzing which is nice. Bridge isn't adjustable which is a pain in the ass beause you have to buy bone bridges and then file them yourself to lower the action, so just wait untill you change the strings, that's a good time to do it.

I play rock, but not with this guitar, Rythm it's ok for I geuss, but it's no variax where you can acctualy solo on it. It's a great travel guitar, that's why I bought it. If it got taken, I'd probbably shop around, but if I could get this price, there aren't many guitars this good for this price. If I was buying right now, and this was my price range, I'd probbably look at ART & Luthrie. I play a Godin electric and it's awesome, A&L is a very reasonable guitar for the price and that would be my first choice now. Love the fact that it's just a good electric that will last a long time, and really don't hate anything about it, many things that I'm not crazy about. But nothing I hate about it. Love the price tag. It would be nice for it to be acoustic/electric but you can't have everything.

Well, if you are a low budget band and are playing a small venue, this guitar will get you through. Durable and reliable, this is one of those guitars that you could throw it and the neck might break, but the body would still be good for a new neck. Nothing wrong with the body of the guitar, just isn't the nicest and isn't really show quality. Paint and finish are fine, they havn't worn at all.

Other than the action, the guitar is fine from the factory. The factory strings were surprisingly good and were slightly misleading. I thought this guitar would be better when I put new strings on it, and don't get me wrong, it does, just less than I expected. Other than that the factory set-up was perfectly fine.

Bought it and L&M last year, built in 05' I think. Japanese made so no Gibson, but good enough for camping so that I can beat the shit out of it and not worry about it too much. 20 frets and I'm assuming it's a laminated top. Body is pine and the neck is mahogany. The paint is nicely finished, I have the sunburst paint. It's your everyday dreadnaught, nothing special at all, and no electronics. Dealer gave me a decent gig bag, but it was nothing special either.

Norse_Iron_King
    The pickguard has a removable plastic film so you can remove the crappy looking "e". okay guitar for the price, better than a Squier
    nottease
    My first guitar after a long layoff from playing. Good for camping. Let my kids goof around on it and no worries. Seems to hold its own, so i dropped it a half-step and sounds nice around the fire. Good axe for the price.
    guitarmakerpugh
    ive got one, its a peice of crap, never play it, it has horrible action, sounds like a fricken trumpet its so brassy. i hate it, i play my guild acoustic instead
    Sabbath683
    I Like. Guitar, But some parts are crap. When trying to play on High E near the bottom of the neck, the sound is just cr@p. Otherwise, O.K guitar, nothing special. I just bout it so that I could play 1 Song for my band and it accomplishes it.
    rhcpwhitey
    I'm considering buying this. Someone said it has horrible action, I've never owned my own acoustic, is the action adjustable on it?
    Greendaygeek10
    I think this guitar is pretty good After switching out the crappy strings they are sold with, it sounded way better than the price tag would suggest
    nanobug
    This was my first guitar that I owned (and still own) and although in many ways it's lacking, it's really a decent guitar. First and foremost, I swear the thing is unbreakable. I've never outright tried to smash it (I would cry if it got smashed) but it's been tossed in the back seat of a car loaded to the brim with household stuff on a move from PA to IL, bouncing around on PA roads in a black car in the hot sun and it still plays great. The finish is so thick you need a belt sander to damage it. The sound? Well, it's not a Martin, obviously, but throw some decent strings on it and don't just hammer away at it and you can coax some nice songs out of it. I play a little bit of everything, from fingerpicked instrumental stuff to hard rock to country. It does the job. For ~$100 you'd be hard pressed to beat it. As far as the action goes, if you get yourself a 6 inch scale (the kind a machinist would use, with 1/64 graduation), an allen wrench and some sandpaper, you can fix it. Just go slow and find some instructions on the net. Skip the feeler gauges and eyeball it, it's a $100 guitar, not the space station.