DR-100 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Epiphone: DR-100

The sound is decently full and loud. Much louder than I expected. The strings on it are pretty bad, but I am planning on putting Martin Lifespan- coated strings on it. They sound great and are smooth as a baby's ass. That will make it sound a little better but not a whole lot. However There isn't a whole lot to complain about.

Overall, pretty versatile. Great sound. With a little work it is a great player. I play blues and rock, mostly dark and depressing. Great though when I get manic and play The Beatles or upbeat music or irish traditional. It looks nice but no one will mistake it for even a higher end epiphone. Its a great "not gonna worry about it guitar". Stick it in your trunk without a case and go camping kinda guitar. Drop it in a puddle, eh whatever. Ding it up. Practice bongos on it. It will hold up and you won't be like... DUDE! That's my martin! I did compare it to a Yamaha of the same price range and a Cordoba Nylon string. This had the best sound and construction. I give it high marks for impression because of it's overall quality. You can easily change tuners and buttons. Good tone wood instead of laminate. It is a 9 for it's price range.

I think the construction is great, though with cheap parts. Real wood tone woods, plastic bridge pins, and nut. Eh, not unusual. Tuners on a guitar this price are going to be cheap and need to be replaced. It's a 20 dollar fix though not hard at all to do yourself if you get the right size to fit. Not all tuners are the same diameter. Make sure you get the right ones. Strap buttons are strap buttons. Get locking if you play gigs, if not it's not substantial. The finish again is cheap and thin and mine is bubbling a little. Not the wood, just the finish. It will wear easy. Summary- Good construction, cheap finishes and parts.

Ok so I bought it used no idea what the other owner(s) did or didn't do. I imagine they didn't do alot. The action was horrible. Seriously probably the worst action and unplayable massacre of a set up I have experienced. An easy fix though, don't let people fool you it's a crap guitar. I asked the sales associate at GC to fix it and in less than 2 minutes he adjusted the truss rod as low as it would go and it is as low as my Les Paul. Not super low but comfortable and no buzzing. If you need it really low, a. why are you buying a cheap acoustic, b. you will need to replace the bridge. Not worth it for such a low end buy... Really. No spaces in the bridge or problems with construction. Well made as I would expect built in their Chinese plant where they only focus on Epi, and quality. The finish is well, cheap. You aren't paying for a finish on this guitar, the natural might look a little nicer seeing the wood grain more, but I imagine not too much. It's just kinda flat. No biggie.

This is an affordable gem. Made in China at Epiphone's exclusive Epiphone plant. Straight forward standard neck and scale. The neck is slightly large. Surprisingly it is wood construction and not HPL. Mahogany body and spruce top. This is what makes this 100 dollar guitar a gem. Used I picked it up for less than half that. I picked up the sunburst finish, which makes it look more like a beatles-esque guitar and is easy on the eyes. Standard cheapo tuners. No electronics. Dreadnought shaped body and no cutaway but it's an inexpensive piece not a martin.