DR-100 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: DR-100

Purchased from: musiciansfreind

I play rock, folk, blues, some country. Used mostly for practice strumming and picking. Even practice doing unplugged solos (takes strong fingers and tiring). Upper frets not easily played being a dreadnought. Guitar puts out a lot of sound. Loud enough where you cannot use a pick if you are trying to not draw attention. Plays very clean. Harmonic notes are very low.

Seems to be pretty good for any acoustic music and even alot of unplugged stuff. Harmonic notes are kinda weak sounding. I've only been playing for a few years. I own a Strat, Explorer and a Moderne. I wanted a budget guitar and feel this is a pretty decent guitar for what I paid. Easy to play, durable, fun.

Had this guitar for a year now and no issues. Bought this guitar to be a beater. I work in a bus garage and practice at lunch every day. I stand it on the concrete floor, I'm usually covered in grease and sand when I play. Finish seems to be durable. Guitar still looks like new. Feels solid. Keep it in an old semi-hard case in an unheated office (usually about 50 degrees). Its a good campfire guitar but don't know how well it would last for regular gigging.

Right out of the box all I did was tune strings. I check them with a tuner every time. It took a couple weeks for the strings to finally stay in tune. Tuners do feel cheap but seem to work ok. Frets feel pretty smooth on sides of neck. Binding is great. Had to lube nut to help with tuning.

Made in 2010. I got the black. The body and neck are supposed to be mahogany. The top is spruce. Some of the construction is laminated. Finish is so shiny. If you don't like fingerprints don't get the black. For a budget guitar it has really nice binding on the neck and body. Has a pick guard. Very nice looking guitar. Wish it had the old Epiphone logo instead of the new one.

jeffo46
    I have one coming in today from American Musical which is in the Sunburst finish and if you bother to take the time to do a proper truss rod adjustment , tighten the tuners , and clean the fretboard with some lemon oil , this will turn out to be a guitar that will surprise you. A lot of these negative reviews are from people who don't know shit about guitar set ups or proper care which pisses me off.
    DragonAvenger7
    I had a little martin acoustic/electric, my friend fell on it when he was drunk and broke the fret board near the stock. It was my first acoustic. Now I have this DR-100 and I like it just as much. It sounds fine to me. Of course.... I'm a new guitarist so I don't have experience to talk about guitar quality, but I'd say this guitar is well rounded for a beginner like me.