DR-200CE Review

6,940
review (1) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
DR-200CE Reviewed by: famousninja, on august 07, 2007

Purchased from: Gallin's Guitars Fitzroy

Features: The Epiphone DR200CE combines the best of both worlds for the guitar player, acoustic and electric. Not only has Epiphone Mastered the art of guitar building, but has matched that skill with electronics. Explore both worlds with this guitar! From the balanced rich warm sound of its solid Spruce top and Mahogany back and sides, to the accurate big sound of it's Piezo/Shadow P4 pickups, this is a very well built and great sounding guitar either plugged in or on its own. // 7

Sound: The DR200CE perfectly suited for what I use it for, which mainly involves acoustic rock/folk music, as well as just jamming out rough tunes for my heavier stuff, and sounds damn decent dropped a a whole step down, however, any lower than that will cause a fair bit of buzz. While it doesn't have the amazing deep rich sound that you can get from a Maton, for it's price, it can hold its own. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I picked this guitar up from the shop floor, and was amazed at how well it was put together, with no detectable flaws in it's construction, and considering the fact it's an Epiphone, that's pretty good. The action is set at a perfect level, I'm still able to get most of the way through a Satriani track without too much difficulty, even up high on the 20th fret. There were no major flaws in the guitar itself other than a poor setup (done in-store), which after restringing the guitar myself, all those problems have gone away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood nearly every on of my Live shows, all except for the first few which I used a cheap (and I mean cheap) no-brand guitar, and it has come through with flying colours. All the hardware and strap buttons show no sign of giving anytime soon, and the finish has withstood a fair few knocks by me in some of my less sober states. Definitely dependable, and I often only bring my DR200CE along to a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly use an acoustic guitar for Folk style music, and for this the DR200CE stands up with flying colors as a very decent beginning guitar, and is still a well used guitar in my arsenal. I've been playing for about 8 years, and only really became seriously into gigging in the past 2 years, after finding a place to play. I've had some shocking guitars, mainly cheap beginner's guitars which have fallen to pieces from only a year or two of play. I currently use a Gibson Firebird VII, an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, a Squier Stratocaster, combined with a Korg ToneWorks 1500 effects unit, all hooked up to a Saber 20 watt amp, which for what it is, puts out a really beautiful sound. Now of course if some lowlife stole my DR200CE, I would probably buy another, or possibly upgrade to a Maton, mainly because the 200CE is an entry level guitar. This guitar is robust, and compared all the other guitars in this price range, (Washburn, and the DR100) it stood head and shoulders above the rest. The only thing I wish it had was a built in tuner, that's the only thing it's missing. All in all the Epiphone DR200CE is a brilliant first guitar, is gig worthy, and very affordable. When it comes to bang for your buck, I'll recommend The DR200CE to anybody. // 9

Comments