EJ-200 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200

Purchased from: Shimokura Music Store

The sound is what sold me - big lows and nice balance. At first, the sound was a little bright, but by replacing the factory light strings with Elixer nanoweb mediums, it now sounds richer. It has a jangly sound that suits the alternative rock style I prefer (Oasis, Coldplay, etc) and the action is extremely low. You will not get the depth of a Taylor dreadnaught or the soul of the Gibson J200 this is designed after, but I gaurantee you will be surprised with the sustain and power, and this at 1/8th the price of Gibson, Guild, or Taylor jumbos.

Whether you are looking for a more expensive guitar or not, I recommend a look at this model. I played a few at different guitar shops, and recommend to try more than one as from my experience they do not all sound equally good, but when you find the right one (as I did) you will not regret the time spent (and money saved) picking up this guitar. The most notable point is how easy this guitar is to play. I am all in all extremely impressed with this axe - well done Epiphone.

Definitely durable and I don't feel as guilty taking it to the beach or a bar for the price compared to other Vintage guitars I own. I have used it live before with a boom mic and it sounds excellent. Actually, Noel Gallagher of Oasis is rumored to use an EJ200 (sunburst). Again, the strap button on the bottom of my guitar has become loose, but besides that, everything is solid and dependable, especially the tuners.

I am not an expert concerning guitar construction. As far as I can see, this instrument was carefully built and feels sturdy. I believe the guitar shop where I bought it altered the set up before I purchased it, so I can not comment on the action from the factory, but when I received it, it was way low and extremely easy to play and fret. This guitar looks impressive, again for the money, and the only problem I have had after half a year is the strap pin on the end of the guitar loosening.

In my search for a good sounding jumbo under $1,000, I ran across the EJ200 and found myself very surprised. Although the top is not solid wood, the construction, maple back and sides, and easy playing neck make this guitar competetive with much more pricey models. The tuners stay in tune, even after a full day of play, and the feel to the guitar is solid, that you are holding a well built instrument. For the price, I can't think of anything negative to say about the features. It is recommended to spend a little more money and upgrade the nut, saddle, and strings of this guitar according to your likes.