EJ-200 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200

Purchased from: internet

I play mostly classic rock and modern, classically inspired rock. This means Oasis, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Neil Young, The Wallflowers, The Verve, The Who, etc... mostly British rock. One of the deciding factors in the purchase of this guitar is that Noel Gallagher of Oasis uses (or did use) one extensively for both recording and stage work. I liked the sound it gave and decided to replace my Epiphone PR-350CE with it. I couldn't be more impressed. Where the 350CE was muddled and undistinct, the EJ-200 is clear, bright, and full. This guitar's jumbo body style and maple side and back provide a clean, bright tone that also sounds very full and provides ample bass. This guitar is perfect for strumming along to a solo vocal or providing rhythm to a full band performance. I can say without much hesitation that this has got to be the best sounding guitar in the $500 and under catagory. Even without solid construction, the guitar simply sounds beautiful.

I've been playing for about 2 years now and have owned various guitars ranging from Stratocaster to Les Paul. I was worried that this guitar would not fulfill my expectations having never played one myself before buying it online. I really could not be happier with it though and plan to keep it for a long, long time. This guitar would be replaced if stolen because I love it's style, tone, and playability. I truly feel that it is the best guitar in it's pricerange. It's not a Guild, but for $700 less, it comes close enough. Great value.

Well, I'm using it live today. I sit and play, so the danger of lopping off the head-stock by hitting the ceiling fan while table-top-dancing is reduced. It's one of those dipped Korean guitars, and from experience, I know they're everything but stupid-proof. Run it over with you van, and it's gonna bust. Keep it in a decent locking guitar stand, put it back in its case--and don't do a Lizzie Grubman on it, and everything should be Jake.

action was a bit high, neck was straight etc, so removed the plastic bridge and sanded a couple of mm off. Now it's great. No flaws whatsoever. It's really made well in every area. Only thing I removed was the stenciled 'flowers' on the tortoise shell pickguard. A bit of nail varnish remover annd cotton wool and it got rid of it in 2 minutes. Looks a much grander serious guitar with out the frills of country sprayed on.

My EJ-200 was made in 2002, in Korea. I got it 4 months ago. No pick up, no cut away. It is a super jumbo guitar. The finish is natural. I, personally, don't like the headstock of Epiphone. But this is the except one. The headstock is glossy black with binding, the side and the back are natural. There is a crown logo at the front of the headstock. It is a beautiful headstock of Epiphone so I like it. The gold tuners are Grover, same as in Gibson Studio 1999. Crown inlay, moustage bridge, flowered pick guard and super jumbo size are striking, especially for me. The side and back of the body are glossy natural. It a beautiful super jumbo. It came in soft foamy package, in a hard paper box that's not good quality paper compared to the hard paper box of Ovation. There were 2 cards came with it. One was Epiphone logo and the other was an inspection card, I will discuss about inspection below. There was a hex key in a small plastic bag, .012 string set. There were some rusts on 4 th, 5th and 6 th strings. The strings were not tuned, they were loosed. This super jumbo was a new one in stock. It was not shown in the shop. There were another 2 EJ-200s shown, One was natural and the other was little darker. If I can choose, I always choose the new one in stock, not the shown one.

awesomegear16
    I'm looking to buy one. I'm looking for a acoustic ecause the only acoustics I have a re on my Variax 300
    Astaldo
    yeah, i wanna buy this guitar too! And you gave good advices. thanks, gonna play it in the shop and surlybuy it then
    BPG
    I think I'm going to order one of these guitars too
    beecroftd
    I am so pleased with this guitar. I actually returned my masterbuilt epiphone to the dealer when I seen this jumbo. I was very happy they gave me a credit and allowed me to return the masterbuilt. in addition i also played the 3,000 dollar gibson up on the wall and was very hard pressed to see the difference between the 400 dollar epiphone. cheers to this ej200 i am blown away. go get one today.
    vintagegear
    two weeks ago I purchased a used ej200 at my favorite local music store. it belonged to the owner and he let it go for 450.00 with case. an active preamp had been previously installed (150.00). I was so impressed with the sound and playability of this epiphone I couldn`t let the deal go by. I was in the market for a jumbo guitar and anticipated that I would have to pay much more to get what I wanted. nice sunburst finish and binding.
    teamoxx3
    i have this guitar in the acoustic-electric version. it is amazing and has such a rich sound to it. i looked all over new york city to narrow down my search for a new acoustic and once i held this i knew it was perfect. and the price was very resonable!!
    dave-h
    i am in two mind of which to buy a yamaha ll6 or anepiphone ej200 i have seen the yamaha for the exact same price as the epiphone which was 249 could anyone sway me in any direction on which to buy
    kiwihrish
    im planing to buy this guitar but not sure if solos would sound good on jumbo gat... an can any1 help me on this?? im beginer - intermidate player n mostly play bluesy/ rocky stuff. i also solo a lot but not sure if this gat would suit the soloing part. can ny1 help???
    tedhechtman
    Okay. The first one I got had a damaged top. It was bubbling up. The second was the one on display which I didn't take home. To be honest...the guys at Guitar center were the ones who noticed the scratches. The third needed a set up but now, with some light weight elixirs on it, I love it. It's bright and loud and crisp and the sustain goes on and on. The action is great and the neck is fast. I bought it for 349.
    Caths
    Hey...i love love love my semi-acoustic..great sound when you plug it into the amp!. beautiful finish. I am so proud to have it to be honest. Mine has a pick up and cut away so was a tiny bit more expensive..but i dont think overall expensive at all!!!..great guitar..cant wait to get out of the office and play it again!! I paid 379 for mine.