EJ-200 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play hard rock and alternative, and when there are times that you simply want to go bare bones this guitar gives it to you. Every note shines through thanks to the jumbo body, and there aren't any dead spots. Granted with it being acoustic your limits on fret work start to get obvious about the 15th fret. The EJ-200 has a very bright and full sound, wonderful resonance that doesn't bottom out. For those who use harmonics they come through pretty well, I mean for a bottom line guitar your getting wonderful tone. The harmonics come through well on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th.

I've been playing for about 5 years, and I had an acoustic Schecter before this with a composite back, paid MORE for it, and got rid of it. It simply did not have the tonal range of the EJ-200. Since I got my Schecter I wanted a full bodied acoustic, I felt cheated by having that composite back and checked between fenders, some taylors, and an Alvarez before deciding on it. I didn't know what to expect when I ordered it honestly, I just saw the specs on how it was made and how it looked but I was glad I took the risk. If your in the market for a new acoustic I heavily recommend it.

I'd take this guitar on stage with me for a gig. I'm wary about putting a pickup in it, just because I don't care to put holes or having a cord come out of the guitar. I prefer micing it anyday. The strap buttons don't come loose, they actually have a piece of I guess you could say... cloth as a buffer between the strap buttons and guitar, effectively making it like a washer. And we all know how annoying loose strap buttons are.

When I got the guitar it was ready to play, nearly in tune.Suprisingly low action for an acoustic actually not high off the fretboard making it a pain to play. It was completely immaculate. No finish flaws, or poor work. As I said before laminate top. It was really taken care of where it was made, and setup wonderfully by the guys at Epiphone.

My EJ-200 is a 2008 model with a solid spruce top, and maple back and sides. (made in Indonesia) Rosewood fretboard (20 frets) with a maple neck and inlaid mustache bride. It looks pretty cool. The EJ-200 is a jumbo body giving you a great full sound, especially when coupled with elixir strings, I got my EJ in August, and the strings still haven't snapped. Pretty impressive and I play ALOT. Now solid spruce for those Who don't know is different from Sitka spruce and it cuts down the cost of manufacturing making it's Gibson counterpart much more expensive. One thing that really drew me to this guitar was the pickguard. it's absolutely gorgeous. For 350 dollars you simply get alot. Grover tuners are gold, and compliment the guitar very nicely making it a beauty too look at and the tone is wonderful. You definitly get all that you pay for and more. Epiphone seems to get a bad rap, but I have a Les Paul and this EJ-200 and I couldn't be happier. It has a laminated top, giving her a nice Shine once you polish it, and as I mentioned before the grovers keep it well in tune, with no string slippage.

Breakingpoint56
    dave-h wrote: i am in two mind of which to buy a yamaha ll6 or anepiphone ej200 i have seen the yamaha for the exact same price as the epiphone which was 249 could anyone sway me in any direction on which to buy
    Thats really your preference, but as far as guitars go, I have never been impressed with Yamaha. Epiphone has more experience with instruments making it a much safer bet in quality, plus, you get excellent features and tonal range.
    Breakingpoint56
    squierstratdave wrote: can you convert this guitar into electric acoustic?
    Yes you can, you just need to put a pickup in it, which can either be done by putting a hole in the side,and running the cord from the pickup through, or just letting the cord hang out of the soundhole. Putting the hole in makes it look cleaner, but i prefer to keep my guitars as is for the most part, unless its an electric and im replacing the pickups, but i stay away from actives.
    Breakingpoint56
    kiwihrish wrote: im planing to buy this guitar but not sure if solos would sound good on jumbo gat... an can any1 help me on this?? im beginer - intermidate player n mostly play bluesy/ rocky stuff. i also solo a lot but not sure if this gat would suit the soloing part. can ny1 help???
    For blues-rock its great, just don't try to pull of any metal techniques.