EJ-200 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200

I play all types of acoustic music, from The Beatles, Oasis, The Kooks, Coldplay, Rolling Stones, and everything in-between. This guitar suits it perfectly! I have played the hell out of it, and have yet to find a bad sound made by this guitar. Even beginners would be able to make it sound amazing. It has really nice, deep lows, contrasted by crisp and clean highs. I have to admit, a big selling point of this guitar was that Noel Gallagher of Oasis Fame uses one. After playing one extensively, I don't blame HIM for using such a great guitar.

This guitar fit's my style so ridiculously well, it's like it was custom built to my liking. I love everything about it, and hate nothing. I have been playing for about 2 and a half years, and I only owned one guitar before I bought this one. However, I have played a lot of different acoustic guitars (at least 50 different models). Even though I had my heart set on the EJ-200, I spent about four hours at guitar center, trying out nearly every acoustic they had. I have to say, this was my favorite one that was available for under $1000. It's not a high-end Gibson or Martin, but for less than half the price, it comes so close you won't even care.

Both strap buttons come with a felt circle under them(basically a washer between the strap button and guitar. They seem really solid, like the rest of the guitar. I'm still pretty over-protective of it, and jump about five feet high whenever it bumps something. Despite how clumsy I can be, there's not even a scratch in the finish. I would completely trust it, there's no way I would need a backup, unless I was doing something with alternate tunings. I think it will last a really long time. The people at Epiphone did an outstanding job, 10/10.

The action was surprisingly really well set up. In my experience with guitars in general, the action was always just a little bit off. I'm not sure if it was a lucky fluke with my EJ-200, but I was happy either way. I have examined my guitar extensively, but there's not a single flaw. As I mentioned above, the finish is absolutely breath-taking, and the binding is flawless. The bridge, saddle, and tuners were also in perfect condition.

I'm not sure what year mine was made in, but I do know that it was made in Indonesia. It's a jumbo guitar, with a 25.5 scale. The fretboard is made out of Rosewood, with beautiful Crown inlays. The inlays on the fretboard are made out of mother of pearl, and have a black outline that really makes it stand out even more against the fretboard. The writing on the headstock and inlays on the bridge are also mother of pearl, and add a really nice touch to the guitar. The neck, back, and sides are all mahogany, while the top is laminated solid spruce. I got it in the Vintage Sunburst finish. I usually tend not to like sunburst guitars, but this one was a kind of golden tinted a bit, and was strikingly beautiful.It's hard to describe the finish's tint, but it blew me away. Also, the sides and back have the sunburst, which is pretty dang cool. The bridge is one of the most unique I've seen on a guitar, I'm pretty sure it's called a moustache-style bridge. There are no electronics on this guitar (which is a nice change of pace for me lol), and the tuners are gold grovers. They really hold tune well, probably one of the best brands of tuners on the market. The only things it came with were some paperwork and a Tool to adjust the bow of the neck. Overall, completely satisfied.

macy7811
    I'm stuck between getting this or the Epiphone Hummingbird. I've heard good things about both guitars. A little help please? and if it's a yes to the EJ-200, which color should I get? THANKS!
    reaverman
    Breakingpoint56 wrote: dave-h wrote: i am in two mind of which to buy a yamaha ll6 or anepiphone ej200 i have seen the yamaha for the exact same price as the epiphone which was 249 could anyone sway me in any direction on which to buy Thats really your preference, but as far as guitars go, I have never been impressed with Yamaha. Epiphone has more experience with instruments making it a much safer bet in quality, plus, you get excellent features and tonal range.
    Not wanting to be a fly in the ointment here, but both companies have been making musical instruments since the 1880's.
    guitarhero2013
    i have this guitar and i love it...i play it all the time. i paid 400 for it at Guitar Center. it was worth it
    daimjagv12
    Have this model but it,s the cut away electro accoustic version,only downside is it,s in black i wold have loved it in plain blonde finnish. the equiliser and pickup system is realy good along with it,s bilt in tuner. bought it complete with hard case for 175 (ebay) realy recomend to give it a try .
    daimjagv12
    Caths wrote: Hey...i love love love my semi-acoustic..great sound when you plug it into the amp!. beautiful finish. I am so proud to have it to be honest. Mine has a pick up and cut away so was a tiny bit more expensive..but i dont think overall expensive at all!!!..great guitar..cant wait to get out of the office and play it again!! I paid 379 for mine.
    drive425
    JonMalky
    drive425 wrote: Hey guys, I need a huge favor! Im a big Oasis/Noel fan and I am really interested in getting this guitar. Problem is, I'm not sure if I should get the Acoustic/Electric version of the EJ 200 or just the acoustic. I'm an intermediate guitar player but have only ever owned a single guitar and I really need to upgrade. I like playing a lot of Oasis' acoustic stuff and am not sure which one would be better. Also, what kinds of strings would be good for this guitar to get that Oasis acoustic feel? Much appreciated if someone could help me out! Thanks.
    Hey, like you I'm a huge Noel fan. I bought the Electric/Acoustic version in the Vintage Sunburst finish (EJ200CE/VS) and absolutely love it. I lowered the action on it, even though it wasn't too bad out of the box and I use Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze 11's which sound great. For that "Noel" sound you may want to try Rotosound Super Bronze 10 gauge strings (formerly Country Golds) as those are apparently what he uses on his Gibson jumbo and his new Martin. I haven't tried them yet though, but I did just order some and will update to let you know how they sound. This guitar sounds great through my Acoustic AG30 amp. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone! I paid $450 U.S. and couldn't be happier.