EJ-200 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200

Purchased from: Sam Ash, Cherry Hill NJ

I play classic rock, country (old school), and Folk music, and this guitar absolutely dominates everything I play. The tone is massive... Thick full bass, clear shimmering highs, and nicely balanced mids. My only complaint is when I run it electrically using both pickups together, it has a slight buzz. Other than that, it is a dream to play.

I've been playing for over 35 years... I started out on my dad's Kay jumbo western acoustic, and have been seeking out another that has the same sound, feel and fullness of my dad's. I found it in my EJ-200 CE/N! I've had an Epiphone in my collection since my 16th birthday, and now have four ('79 Genesis Standard electric, 2009 Dot Studio in worn cherry, sunburst 2010 Thunderbird IV bass, and this one), and want to get many, many more! If someone had the lowlife kahonies to steal this from me, I would seek them out, torture them until I felt they faid for their mistransgresions, then slowly kill them... But only after getting my prized possession. I love everything about it, its feel, its overall tone, its playability, its looks... I can play this guitar for hours and hours on end without fatigue or boredom. Even after playing the Gibson J-200, Takamine's super jumbo, Martin jumbos, Taylors, and many other high end artisian masterpieces, I am completely satisfied with my EJ-200! Even if I were to obtain one of the amazing guitars I listed that are thousands and thousands out of my price range, I would still keep the EJ as my main workhorse. It's a 10 in my eyes!

This guitar is rock solid, it will withstand a nuclear blast, I've taken it out on stage, used it in the studio, played it around the campfire, and use it as my number ONE favorite axe! I'm madly in love with this beautiful (despite being mass produced and relatively cheaply priced) work of art, it's my lifelong acoustic weapon of choice!

I played this guitar for over a year before it was given to me, and also tried several others to make sure I got "the one". This guitar feels, looks and plays like it should have cost twice what it cost! Finish is very nice, albeit urethane instead of nitro. The action is low for an acoustic, but high enough to afford gorgeous tone and playability. The frets are just about perfect, the binding is totally aces as are the inlays, the pickguard is beautiful (vine and flower design on tortoise shell), and the bridge is also a work of art! My only complaint would be (as stated above) the buzzing I get when I combine both pickups... It only happens when I record, and can be blended out, so I'm not too worried about it!

I got my 2009 Epiphone EJ-200 CE/N acoustic electric super jumbo guitar for Father's Day 2010... Other than the BC Rich Mockingbird ST my son got me this Christmas, it is the coolest present I've ever received! I'm fairly sure this guitar was built in China, and set up in the USA (by Epi employee number 5, according to the sticker). It has a deep rounded cutaway, 20 nicely finished frets on a 25.5 inch scale neck with a rosewood fretboard, natural finish on a spruce top/maple sides and back body, and mother of pearl inlays (crowns on frets, name and ART deco crown on headstock), as well as neatly done triple white and black binding on the body, neck and headstock... Simply gorgeous! It also has Epiphone's take on the Gibson mustachio bridge, only the curls are filled in with mother of pearl instead of being empty... Much nicer in my opinion. Gold Grover tuners keep it in tune, and a Shadow preamp connected to a NanoMag pickup under the bridge and a NonoFlex single coil tucked under the 21st fret position of the neck give this axe the ability to crank through any PA or acoustic amp with authority. Preamp has a master volume, individual tone for each pickup, built in tuner, and a fader slide to blend the pickups, and they're wired in stereo to boot... This provides the fullest electrified acoustic sound I've ever experienced, even with the uber-expensive guitars I tested while shopping around. Amazingly versatile, as it can be played straight up as a huge sounding acoustic, or on stage/in the studio with a clear, full presense!