EJ-200 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

I got my EJ-200 used and in mint condition from my local music shop, and I am not completely sure what year it was made, nor what country. Indonesia or Korea most likely. The EJ-200 features 20 frets with beautiful mother of pearl crown inlays and a very striking(and rather large) headstock with gold Grover tuning machines. I hold the tuners in high regard as they are smooth when tuning and it takes forever for the guitar to bend out of tune. The EJ-200(VS) is a full bodied Jumbo guitar (Got mine in vintage sunburst) with a laminated spruce top and maple sides and back with a rosewood fretboard. The finish is simply beautiful and shines wonderfully when polished up. The sides and back of the guitar are also in sunburst which gives it a slightly burnt/on fire appearance. It has a mustache bridge with inlays. No electronics. I guess I'll have to get a temporary pickup. A hardhshell case was included in the price and I am very pleased with it. Overall, a stunning guitar.

I play rock, country, folk and occasional pop. For all the mentioned genres, I'd say this guitar is fantastic. I cannot sing myself out of a brown paper bag and yet I think I sound pretty good singing over this baby. Folk especially, sounds good on this guitar. The sound is somewhat soothing and deep (I love deep sounding guitars) and rich. The factory strings make it sound somewhat bright, but all the same, a sound that cannot be beat for the price. I was very pleased with the sound. I cannot say enough about the sound.

Since I bought it used, it was already set up and the action was perfect. Nice and low like i like it. Such a smooth play! I had to get used to my fingers gliding over the strings like silk. Man, I thought playing guitar was supposed to be hell for your fingers until I bought the EJ-200. Even with factory strings, still very impressive. Nothing buzzes on this guitar, no cracks in the fretboard. (My last guitar came from the factory with the fretboard cracking away from the neck. >:() Even though my EJ-200 is used, it is in perfect condition, no finish flaws whatsoever. All very good and comfortable. It is a bit heavier than I would like, but I expected that from a jumbo.

This guitar really reaches out to the audience when playing live. The hardware seems more than adequate for the price and the strap buttons are gold with a piece of felt between the button and the wood to prevent loose buttons. I think this is going to be my old reliable. The only thing about mine being used is that the flower design on the scratchboard was worn off. All my other scratchboards had been etched in, but this one was painted. I don't particularly care for how much it smudges when you touch it as the fingerprints really show in the sun. But, a good wipe with a clean cloth does the trick. Take good care of this guitar. It is not for manhandling.

Considering the kind of music I play (folk, country, etc.), this guitar suits me very well. I don't know much about guitars as I'm only a beginner (been playing for almost 5 years), but I am very impressed with this guitar. The guy who sold it to me was going to buy it for himself but I guess store rules prevented him from doing so. I could tell he hated seeing it go, but I played it and compared it to several other guitars I was interested in and I knew I wanted it. I didn't know exactly what I was getting when I bought it, but I can safely say I have no regrets. If my EJ-200 were to ever get stolen, I would probably save up and buy it's Gibson older brother. I love this guitar. It was the most stunning guitar in the whole store and the sound matched what I wanted and I could not beat the price. Even used, it is fantastic! The only thing I don't like is that there are no electronics on it. Like I said, I don't know much about guitars, but I know this is the guitar for me. If you can find one, I totally recommend getting it!