EJ-200CE review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200CE

Price paid: € 345

Purchased from: Thomann

The Epiphone EJ-200CE is a very affordable, high quality guitar. The one I own was build in 2012 the original was introduced in 1937.
It has a 25.5" scale with a solid spruce top. A Maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard and Grover tuners. The body type is a super Jumbo with a black finish, gold hardware, Moustache bridge and cream white binding all along the body, neck and headstock. All this make it a beautiful guitar to look at. This guitar has two pick-ups, one piezo in the bridge like we all know and one "neck pick-up which is placed in the sound hole against the beginning of the fingerboard.This makes for an elaborate range of sounds which is pretty unique for an acoustic guitar. The pickups on this guitar have an elaborate configuration. On the control box there's a phase shift button which isn't remotely enough to stop the feedback in a loud stage situation... so plug it!

Because of the broad range of sounds from the two pick-ups this guitar can easily adapt to any style. From mid-level strumming to crispy riffing it does it with ease. Even the warm and jazzy sounds are easily found with just a little tweaking. With just a little chorus and a bit of reverb this guitar really begins to shine, I've owned a lot of expensive guitars and I must say; this guitar is really ridiculously low priced for its quality and playability. The low and high frequencies are balanced well with a standard 0.10/0.47 string set.

The factory set-up is pretty good, the only thing I did change were the strings. The action on this guitar is medium high which is just the way I like it. The pick guard that is on this guitar is a very slim piece of plastic sheet which has a bit of a sharp edge. This feels uncomfortable when your fingers catch the edge. One of the things I had a bit of a struggle with was fitting a strap. The strap holders leave very little room to between the pegg and the body and are very big. I've had to unscrew the strap holds to fit the strap. But when its all in place and screwed back on there is now way the ever come off again! Because of the pick-up in the sound hole it is a bit off a struggle to fit a plug into it, Epiphone doesn't have one custom made so you'll have to do make one fit for this guitar. As I'm a big guy (6foot4) this guitar fit me just fine and its not like I'm playing a ukulele. But if you're small this is probably too big a guitar.

This guitar has been on the road with me for about 5 months now and I've done just about 25 gigs with it. It stays in tune perfectly even when you really rough it up, the guitar is well balanced even with the slightly large Epiphone headstock. The build in tuner works nice even on a noisy stage and the sound is big and bright. The pre-amp is powered by two 2023 batteries which are stacked and slide into the control box. This is easily dropped, lost and feels a bit cheap. The battery live isn't great, I've had to change it just after a couple of gigs. But on the other hand, they came with the guitar, I'll update if this becomes a problem

I'm a professional musician and I've been so for the last 25 years. My gear: Vox AC30 amp with Gibson LP, Fender Tele, Hofner Thin President, DigiTech GSP 1101, Audix mics, Ev mics, Ernie Ball strings, Martin strings. I use this guitar every day and it has not let me down and doesn't de-tune. I've used it in studio's as well as live gigs. The playability is great and I absolutely recommend this guitar to anyone from beginner to pro, this is a great guitar and I was surprised about the quality as it's a very affordable guitar (I'd even go so far as to say it's down right cheap!) I would replace it without a doubt if it got stolen, broken or lost. The fact that is doesn't come with its own plug is a little disappointing this would be nice if Epiphone could fix this for such a nice instrument.