EJ-200CE review by Epiphone

Epiphone: EJ-200CE

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: H&R Music

I purchased this acoustic guitar at my local music store for 500$ when it was originally on for 650$. It was made in Indonesia and it is a beautiful guitar. It has a maple body and neck with a spruce top and rosewood fretboard. This guitar has a unique to inputs for the 2 active pickups it has, the Esonic NanoFlex and the NanoMag. The controls are a very flashy built-in tuner, Master Volume, Master Tone, Phase, Treble, Bass, EQ Shape, Low battery indicator, and Tuner power (which also works as a Mute). It comes in A vintage sunburst, black, and natural. It has a rosewood "mustache" bridge with inlays. Stays in tune fantastically. Also, did I mention it is a beautiful guitar!?!

The sound of this guitar, being it is a super jumbo body, has a lot of low end. Unplugged with the right strings it can have the most beautiful and expensive-sounding tone. Plugged in it also sounds great! You can customize the tone any way you want through your on-board controls or through an amp. The only thing wrong i have noticed is that the high frets are much louder and almost piercing sometimes. I assure you that the sound is astonishing. And can be modified to your desires without touching your amp!

When I bought the guitar from the store, I immediately noticed that the action was very high, But I had played the same guitar in the nearby city's guitar shop and the action was fine. So I don't know which one was changed or not. Other then that, everything was great! The truss rod was correct, no dents or scratches, everything was smooth as can be and it felt great to play! The finish is thick and beautiful. And the wood quality is top of the line. Ready to play out of the box. Unless you want to adjust the action.

I've had this guitar for about a year now. Only wear that I have noticed is tiny marks from the paint of the pickguard (Which is also so beautiful!) that were rubbing off from strumming, as with a lot of guitars. This guitar is plenty loud for live concerts and has never failed to work perfectly. The Finish is thick and id be amazed if were to rub of within the net 10 years. Such a well built guitar seems like it will survive the apocalypse! You can just walk up on stage, plug in a cord and it will work every time!

The Epiphone EJ200-CE is a fairly inexpensive guitar. With a gorgeous sound and reliability being amazing, it stands to its name as the "King of Flat-Top Guitars" I've played classical, country, folk, jazz and even written some of my own music on this guitar! The only flaws in the whole thing is the Action (maybe) and the high notes through an amp (sometimes). I had been looking at a few guitars at my local store and I didn't even pay attention to it because it seemed too expensive, but they had a sale one day and I was blown away that such a ravishing guitar could be so cheap. I played it and I was hooked, Purchased it the first day I tried it. This guitar is an elegant piece of wood and metal, a great buy that I assure you wont regret!

colincostin
    Great reviews on this fabulous guitar. I bought mine two years ago and it is my goto guitar. I have a number of guitars but I love to play this one in particular. I had the action on mine adjusted to suit me and it made all the difference. Considering what you would pay for the Gibson equivalent you won't go wrong with this little gem.