Hummingbird review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Hummingbird

Purchased from: The Music Outlet

It plays great playing acoustic classic rock tunes along the lines of Zeppelin and Boston, also sounds pretty good with folk/country like Bob Dylan or Johnny Cash. Not very good for classical/flameco playing. The only way to amp the Hummingbird is through a mic. I haven't tried it yet so dont know how that works out. It kinda has the ringing bass sound of a jumbo when you strum directly over the hole. Strumming it closer to the bridge produces a nice treble heavey sound. The richest tone comes from strumming over the high frets. So obviously the Hummingbird has alot of variety for rock/blues fans. Not to great for other stlyes of music though.

I play classic rock and this guitar is perfect for nailing those acoustic Zeppelin tunes. I've been playing for about three years. I also have a Vintage Gibson Invader and a Peavy transtube practise amp. If it were lost or stolen id buy it again, unless I had the cash for a Gibson Hummingbird. I love the way it sound and the way it looks. My favorite part of the guitar is the pickgaurd: it shows a hummingbird with flowers and a butterfly, it realy looks awesome. The one thing I don't like is that it I always worry about messing it up, so I have to have some restraint about how hard I strum it. I wish it would have come with a hardshell case but instead I had to shell out 70 bucks for an Epiphone case.

The Epiphone Hummingbird is definatly durable, the finish looks like it will never get scratched up. The tuners hardly ever go out of tune. I didn't have to tune for about a month after I got it. The strap buttons work properly and seen solid enough to play standing up. The pickgaurd is easy to scratch and wear down. The Gibson Hummingbird does not have this problem.

The factory setup was awesome. Pretty much the best action for an acoustic. The tuners, bridge, strings all function properly. The finish looks great. The pickgaurd also looks great, but I can see it getting scratched up easily.

My Epiphone Hummingbird was made in 2005 in China. It has 20 Jumbo frets on a rosewood neck. The solid spruce top is beutiful with the Heritage cherry sunburst finish on the traditional dreadnought shape. The pickgaurd is the highlight of the body. It's aristry is great. It does not have a preamp or any electronics installed, just an old fashioned acoustic. Equiped with Grover non-locking tuners.

crazyfool91
    a blck hummingbird would not look better. black would not go well with the humingbirds and butterfly on the pickgaurd u dumbass
    mccawley
    I have a 30 year old Terada( Japanese made) Hummingbird copy that looks exactly the same except it says Terada on the headstock, has a straight bridge without compensation but has screws under the bridge to adjust the action. The pickguard is only barely showing wear and the sound has matured with age. I hope you still love it in 30 years!
    Mr. Bubbles
    my cousin owns one of these bad boys, the art is good and all but to me its sounds like a regular acoustic.