Hummingbird review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 3.4 Poor
Epiphone: Hummingbird

Purchased from: World of Music

Let me break it easy to you... Or maybe hard if you are a Epiphone/Gibson(electric) fanatic like me. A Fender cd60 sounded better, and also came with a hard case! Just an airy sound produced by the bird, cheap like. Sorta cool looking, but sounded bad.

I play everything from Hank williams Jr. to Eric hutchinson, and alot of rock/punk in between. I have been playing for fun for 11 years. I tested this out this week. It totally dissapointed me. I wish it had a better sound/tone. Seek another brand. I rate this a 2, because I guess a 1 would be a 1st act or a Squier or something. Maybe I tried 2 bad seeds?

It seems like it may last if you baby'd it. Hardware was what I expected from epiphone. Wood, paint finish, and sound was not. The guitar was heavier, but the front of the body looked flimsy, I dunno weird. Strap buttons seemed solid. I wouldn't rely on it because I didn't decide to buy it even though it had "cool looks" online.

Action seemed good, easy on the fretboard to play just like all epi's/gibsons.. But the sound that came out wasn't what I had expected at all. Finished to me came off like a cheap foreign copy of a real guitar. Let me make this clear from my time this past week, test driving Acoustic guitars at 5 different stores. Epiphone Acoustics at this 150-400 dollar price range in no way compare like epiphone's electrics do to ohhh lets just say a really expensive bigger brother. See below for build quality...

This one was a new Dove, 2011 assuming, it was new, in a high selling showroom. Laminate top dreadnaught I believe, the hired help didn't know! Lol. I believe it had Grover style tuners. No extra anything included when I tested it out for about 5 minutes. The guitar was about standard for the features you can find in this price range.

mattkendell
    Kear Bear wrote: I don't have a whole lot of experience with acoustic guitars but this piece of wood is very nice and warm sounding. My girlfriend has one and i play it all the time when i'm over.
    So you play with your girlfriend's wood?
    Kear Bear
    Hells.Mascot
    Also, Gibson's acoustics are rather sh*tty. Despite being quite different instruments from their parent brand, I don't see how Epiphone could make a quality acoustic either.
    Gatorade237
    Thinking of getting this for my first proper guitar. Any other worthy similarly priced alternatives?
    Hells.Mascot
    Gh. wrote: a blck hummingbird would not look better. black would not go well with the humingbirds and butterfly on the pickgaurd u dumbass +1
    Ya spoke too soon. See the Epiphone Dave Navarro Signature Acoustic.