PR-150 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: PR-150

It has a great sound, very balanced, and I tune it rarely to be honest; it holds such a great tune. I play acoustic based songs, so chords and such, very slow and melodic, but I occasionally play a tabbed song, and it fits so many styles. It doesn't plug into an amp, but you can buy a drop in for it, and it will do just fine.

For style, it's a wonderful match for me, maybe a little dry I suppose. I wish it had a cutaway, and I wish the sound was just a little bit warmer. It's full bodied, no doubt, but at this point, I've moved up from beginner and I'd like a warmer, richer sound. Were it stolen, I'd be heartbroken, I'm in love with my guitar, it's my baby. I really can't help it. I would no doubt buy another, or hesitate to recommend it. Besides the emotional attachment (lots of terrible days were eased with my baby), my guitar has such varied use, and is so easily playable, I would honestly say if you were buying a first, or even intermediate guitar, buy this one, because there's no way you could regret it. ESPECIALLY not for the price it runs at new.

I play this guitar now for performances at a coffeehouse, no huge crowds... Yet... Yesterday (mind you, I've had it for 5 years, and it was used) the nut under the low E broke, but it was a simple glue it and wait deal. One tuning knob broke, but other than that, there's the SLIGHTEST bow in the neck which is only to be expected. I play it for at least an hour every day, for the past year or so, and it holds up wonderfully. I've fallen on the staris, slammed it in the doorway, dropped it on hardwoord. Nothing. There's a chip on the headstock, and a scratch on the bottom, from resting on a rock. The finish is basically unpenetrable, and there's no sign of the guitar breaking anytime soon.

The guitar was put together perfectly, I really couldn't have asked for a better guitar. When I got it, even used, I was able to just start playing it, even though I had never really played guitar before. It was almost two years before something went mildly wrong, and legitimately, it was that the strings broke. I didn't know at the time how frequently to change strings.

I have a 150NA instead of a VS, so if there are differences, I'll try to list them. 20 frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Mahogany? Maybe, I can't find the specs for this thing anywhere. My dad bought this for me after my mom refused me a guitar, and I'm in love. We bought it used, and this thing holds up like a champion.

dhobbs04
    I bought a PR-150VS at GC, about $100. I put a bone saddle in it and after much tweaking on the truss rod a little sanding on the saddle it is a very good instrument in the $100-$300 range. I also put a cheap transducer in it and I am happy with the results. Nice Gibson like action and good intonation.
    rsinetheta
    Read this regarding the problem you are having with the action on your guitar... This is a perfect first guitar to learn on. I have been playing the guitar for over 40 years. I own many gorgeous instruments. I wanted to buy a guitar for my son to learn on and I saw this Epiphone for sale for $109. You can find these guitars all day long for this price. When I received the guitar, the strings were too high, the neck was out of whack, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I took it to my guitar tech and for $58 I had the action lowered and the truss rod adjusted. This is what you need to do with yours. Believe me, you will not regret spending the money. By the way, the guitar is not made of plywood! It has a spruce top and mahogany sides and back! Check out the specs here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-PR-... 101832319-i1166292.gc