Starlight Steel String Cutaway Limited Edition review by Esteban

Esteban: Starlight Steel String Cutaway Limited Edition

Purchased from: HSN

This guitar actually sounds good, even with the crappy guitar strings that came with it. I use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings, so it'll give it a good sound. The 10 watt amp that came with it is okay. It has an "overdrive" button to give the guitar distorion. I was surprised that the sound was pretty good. It has an on-board Opus-III EQ. All in all, it has a great sound

I mostly play punk, from hardcore to ska, a bit of Folk, and recently, I've been learning how to play blues. I think Folk music fit's this guitar well. If this were stolen I'd be bummed out cause I got attached to it haha, but I wouldn't buy another one. I'd get a Gibson, Yamaha, or a Fender instead. In my opinion, I think this is a overall good guitar.

Okay, here is where I was impressed. I have had this guitar for 2+ years and I had not had a problem with it! This guitar has withstood some pretty nasty falls. It has some dents at the bottom, but nothing big. The strings stay in tune(I play it everyday for hours on end) so you don't have to worry about tuning them constantly. I think the finish can last because I've had it for a while. I have not played it in a gig, but I think it could handle a few gigs. Oh yeah and one more thing, I don't take care of the guitar that well, so I know that this guitar can take a beating.

When I took the guitar out of the box, it was in perfect condition. The strings were okay. Like all Esteban guitars, the action is high. The only good thing that comes out of that is that it builds callouses quickly. The sparkly paintjob is all right, and it looks kinda weird(it kinda looks like the celebration guitar). It gets dirty easily(fingerprints, dust, etc.)

I got this guitar as a gift. This thing came with a: 20-fret guitar, a hard case, 5 DVD's, picks, extra strings, a strap, polishing cloth, 10 watt amp, 6 ft. Cable, basic chord chart, and an allen wrench. It's a cutaway, so you can easily reach the higher register. The instructional DVD's are all right. Esteban goes through the lessons pretty quick.

WorkEarnBuy
    I have this same guitar if it is now called Celestial Nights. I agree that it sounds decent out of the box. The action is too high (5/32 at 12). I'm new and just learning and will play it awhile before I change strings or have the action adjusted. I do have a buzzing on the e at 5 (which is a bit annoying since that position is played quite commonly). I do not have the Esteban amp. I bought a Line-6 Spyder III. The guitar sounds great through this amp. I am glad I was referred to this amp; it has a lot of features and makes playing a lot more versatile. I have been told that this is a common problem with acoustic-electrics, but I find that I have to be quite far away from the amp before I can turn up the volume or else the feedback is horrible. I've read a lot of reviews about the Estaban guitar. Yours is fair to the guitar. It's a beginners package. Despite what Estabn says or implys in the infomercials, when this guitar is reviewed it must be reviewed to other guitars in its class. I'm not going to sink several thousand $ into a taylor or PRS to learn guitar. Everyone calling these guitars POS or junk needs to look it at more fairly and compare as they would compare other purchases such as a car, etc. The overall package is a good value. I can'e find ANY other brand of acoustic electric guitar for the price of the complete Esteban package. I pasi $179 for the guitar, case, strap, extra strings and the 10-volume dvd series which is very well put together and simple to follow along.
    WorkEarnBuy
    I've adjusted the trussrod and resolved the high-e buzz at 5. I also went to my nearest chain music store and palyed every acoustic electric they had under $300 plus played some $500 - $800 Taylor and Martin guitars (just for fun). The Esteban Celestial Nights easily matches build quailty and sound of anything they had at $200 or under (bottom end Ep, Ibanex and Yamaha). Actually the Estaban had better components than some. It sounded and looked as good as some of the $300 and under guitars. You certainly can't find any sub-$300 guitar with any type of graphics, if you like that look, and I think the Celestial Nights looks pretty cool (I could live without the fake gemstones). Above this price range, the guitars clearly have better finishes and materials. How much that's worth to sound, I can't say. The $500 - $800 Martins and Taylors were just gorgeous pieces of high end craftmanship and had sweet deep tones. I would not compare the Esteban to these guitars (despite what is said on HSN - I also don't thnik my SUV can do half the stuff shown in the commercials and don't beleive that super models drink low card beer). The store had three (3) acoutic electric guitar/amp packages which I would say are a good comparison. These all have pretty low effect amps and really cheap bags/cases. If you don't plan on taking your guitar out of the house, you don't need a better bag/case. But I think you will quickly become bored with the amp, unless you start to invest in pedals. I paid $179 for my Estaban guitar/case/dvd package and $99 for my Line-6 Spyder III amp Plus $12 shipping on the Esteban for a total of $290. That's a pretty solid package for under $300. I feel that the guitar alone is easily worth the $300. I hope you find this a fair review. As for everyone saying that it's plastic or plywood, I'd love to see someone who has the cash for the more expensive guitars just buy an Esteban and then post a youtube video of them cutting through the neck and body with a saw. That would end the material of construction arguement.