FJCE Review

1,990
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
FJCE Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2011

Purchased from: PMT Manchester UK

Features: A beautifully-made, and beautiful guitar designed by Aparick Eggle, and made in Indonesia. Solid spruce top, mahogany sides, and high quality materials and finishes throughout. Pickup works well (but would have been better for the inclusion of a tuner) Machine heads are the smoothest I've seen, and though I felt at first, the included hard case was unnecessary, I have come to really appreciate it. Overall, a guitar to rival Taylors and Gibsons. // 8

Sound: I upgraded from a Crafter DE7N, which I thought sounded great, but the Faith has a depth and tones that I have never heard before. Sounds great after setup (see below) the sound is rich and full, and I fail to see how anybody could be unimpressed with the sound this guitar makes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Afte playing maybe 20 guitars in the shop, I began to lose track of all their good and bad points. I was aware of some slight playability/buzz issues but the balance of cost vs performance seemed about right, so I bought it. Playing more extensively at home, and in the quiet, two things started to really annoy me; a high first-fret action, and buzz around the fourth fret position. Although the shop offered a set-up, I wasn't sure how comprehensive that would be, so I paid a Luthier to do a full setup (40) He lowered the nut action, smoothed out some uneven frets and raised the saddle slightly. The difference was amazing, and the guitar now plays as well as it looks. Included with the guitar was a certificate signed by the technician who set it up, and saying it had been properly done. I can only assume this guy was either bored, or incompetent, because I realized after some extended playing, the setup was very poor indeed, in fact almost unplayable longer term. Such a shame that a great guitar such as this can't be finely set up prior to delivery. Some fairly minor adjustments made all the difference in the world. Disappointing I had to pay to get it right, but PMT did me such a good deal, the total price was still under what other shops were selling it for. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I think this is a quality guitar, using quality materials and good manufacturing techniques, I see no reason that this will not last a very long time indeed. The hard case will also help to protect it from some mishaps that have happened to my other guitars. // 9

Overall Impression: Finger-style or plectrum, after the setup, the guitar plays beautifully. I would definitely buy again (but I'd pay more attention to the setup) In 40+ years of guitar playing, this is the best instrument I've owned, and I'm sure it would compare well with much more expensive guitars. If only the technician who signed the setup certificate had been more professional and careful, this would have been a very different review, but having said that, a relatively small outlay for a professional setup has left me with a beautiful, capable, full-sounding instrument. My rating below is post setup, as-delivered, it would be at least a couple of points lower. Overall, though, I'm very happy. // 8

Comments